• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bells Palsy interrupting my comeback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBeeBop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Bells Palsy interrupting my comeback Reply with quote

Hello all! I was staging a comeback in 2019 when one November morning I woke up with Bells Palsy. Wow! Talk about making my practice impossible. Inflammation of the 7th cranial nerve left my embouchure in tatters. At 2-1/2 months I could only play up to a middle C. Above that my lips leak air out the left side of my mouth and around the horn rather than through it. I found one YouTube video of a guy in England with the same problem who was back to full strength after a year. I assume paralysis from a stroke may create similar limitations, but I am open to any ideas from anyone who has overcome similar obstacles that have destroyed your embouchure. I am still having some difficulty just drinking liquids where they want to spill out the left side of my mouth.

I welcome helpful suggestions from anyone anywhere!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your situation. Most people start to improve within a month, and paralysis completely resolves in most people within a year. However, as many as 10% of people can have continued weakness after a year, and for some, this weakness may be permanent.

If someone's paralysis isn't resolving, it might help to talk to a doctor. There are 2 reasons for this. First, it may be reasonable to look for other causes for the paralysis. Second, there may be a role for physical therapy to aid in that person's recovery.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
JBeeBop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, my brother is a doctor and I was in the emergency room the day it showed up. I have been seeing a physical therapist, occupational therapist and a massage therapist pretty regularly between my frequent business travel. It has definitely improved, but not enough to play in public.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBeeBop wrote:
Thanks Mike, my brother is a doctor and I was in the emergency room the day it showed up. I have been seeing a physical therapist, occupational therapist and a massage therapist pretty regularly between my frequent business travel. It has definitely improved, but not enough to play in public.

I'm glad to hear it's improving. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Hopefully it's just a matter of time.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had his occur to me in high school. While I was recovering, i took up the Baritone Horn for a few months due to the leakage. This became my form of physical therapy. As the motor function returned I switched back to the trumpet. My embrasure moved to the left of center and the following year I was able to advance to first trumpet, second seat from second trumpet. This was not easy, but had a satisfactory outcome.

Six years later due to other obligations and circumstances I quit the trumpet for 44 years. My comeback started 4 years ago. I consciously started with central mouthpiece placement and had leakage. Mouthpiece placement gradually moved to the left and leakage stopped.

Good luck with your recovery. It is at first very discouraging, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Don’t give up.
JBeeBop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steve!
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in this thread. You can also search the forum for Bells Palsy. Be sure to require the search to find both terms so you don't also get discussions of trumpet bells, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: