• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

F. Besson Meha by Kanstul

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BKA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: F. Besson Meha by Kanstul Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I am a trumpet player from germany, so sorry for my english. I would try my best.
I could buy a Bb trumpet, F.Besson made by Kanstul and i search in this forum for informations about building year, bore size, bell engravings.
But i don‘t get an answer that safisfied me.
So, i hope someone of you could help me.
„My“ Besson Meha, that i can get, looks so. I am wondering about the bell engraving.
I have seen pictures in the internet who the bells are engraved with more letters and words (some in french).
What trumpet have i?, is this a new generation or a fake?
Many thanks, BR
Björn

yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Kanstul Besson, made in Anaheim, CA USA.
It's a Meha copy, large bore, very good horn.
https://yourbrass.com/
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello -
Hopefully this information will help you out..
Article from 1983 Below
http://users.actrix.co.nz/mcamilleri/Besson/KanstulBesson.pdf

For some unknown reason the owners of the French Besson trademark decided to make a new line of trumpet in the early 1980s. Fortunately they choose top US maker Kanstul to design and produce the line, and Kanstul faithfully recreated the original horns, and many new models too. The Besson Meha and Brevete lived again. These Kanstul made horns are beautifully made and play as well as the originals, without all the issues of 50+ year old instruments.

This is your horn...

From the early 1980s till about 1998 all French Besson trumpets were made by Kanstul, and some other Besson models also. Hence the Kanstul markings but another brand name on the bellKanstul was a contract manufacturer back then.

Sometime around 1998 Kanstul lost or decided not to renew the contract to make some Besson instruments, and the 609 and related lines were terminated. Boosey and Hawkes became part of The Music Group and was then sold to Buffet Crampon, and Kanstul still makes the Stamm and Classic models for Buffet Crampon. There are still French Besson Meha and Brevete trumpets available new, with some called the “New Generation” model. From what I have heard these are Kanstul made but are old stock, as for some unknown reason a lot of these were stockpiled in warehouses and not distributed at the time of production.

The bells on this model horn had three variations depending on bore size.
you photo reads PARIS above the MEHA indicating a .470" Bore size AKA Large Bore. The other bell markings are listed below. This information came to me from Kanstul many years ago.

Paris .470"
Paris France .460"
Paris * France .464"

I date your Serial # 2638 to 1984 based in the output of around 2500 in 1983. (You should have an excellent instrument as these early ones were meticulously crafted)

Kanstul built the first of the "new" Mehas in 1983. According to my source, who used to own one of the 1983 horns, Kanstul made exactly 2500 Mehas in 1983, and was particularly careful about making them "just right," faithful copies of the famous French-made Mehas from the 1940's. Serial numbers above 2500 were fine horns, too -- but the first 2500 were "extra-fine."

Here are some links to help you on your investigation
http://users.actrix.co.nz/mcamilleri/TheBessonLoyalist.htm
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1397817

Last edited by Tuningbell on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the Kanstul horns made with bells that contained the 'PARIS' and 'F. Besson' engraving?
Perhaps an original Besson bell on a Kanstul body?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no... they were completely new horns made in California with Kanstul branding on the second valve and the Besson Bell markings on the bell they were reproductions with modern improvemnets ..
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Were the Kanstul horns made with bells that contained the 'PARIS' and 'F. Besson' engraving?

Jay

Nope Bells and everything made by Kanstul: This explains it all:
Great horns! I cannot guarentee some private bell swaps but unlikely to destroy a pre war F. BESSON to put on a Kanstul body as the value of any F. BESSON from that period would exceed making a FRANKENHORN
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This large-bore (.470) trumpet was made in Anaheim, California, U.S.A. between 1985 and 1989. If it is still in good condition it is an excellent instrument, appropriate for both lead playing and orchestral playing. Good luck with your purchase. If you are familiar with either F. Besson Meha trumpets or Benge trumpets, you will find that horn to be very comparable.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuningbell wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

Jay

Great horns! I cannot guarentee some private bell swaps but unlikely to destroy a pre war F. BESSON to put on a Kanstul body as the value of any F. BESSON from that period would exceed making a FRANKENHORN

Actually, there are even now still around a hundred Besson and F.Besson bells spanning the generations hanging in the late Byron Autrey's workshop. At some point those will probably reach the resale market and I fear someone is going to try precisely that. It would waste both a good bell and a great horn as Byron matched leadpipes to the bells for most all of Kanstul's many French/Benge products including the Besson stencils. As those bells were unique, such a random pairing with one of the wide variety of "actual" Besson bells would undoubtedly produce inferior results.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Besson (Boosey & Hawkes) dealer in the late '80's - early '90's. There were two different trumpets marked 'Meha" made by Kanstul for Boosey & Hawkes. One is the light weight large bore that has been described in this thread, the other was a ML standard weight designed to compete with the Bach Strad. I played one for a while and it was a fine horn. You can't go wrong with either depending on your preferences and playing situation.

I forgot to mention that we also sold a Brevette model (B&H/Kanstul) which was .464 bore. As for the .464 Meha, I never saw one. It could be that our B&H rep didn't make it available to us.

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
umum_cypher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a .464 since the mid-90s. Since coming back I now also have an relatively expensive mid-life crisis horn. But every time I pick up the Kanstul Meha - I just adore it. The sound, the soul, it's just so real and alive. Buy it!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="OldSchoolEuph"]
Tuningbell wrote:

-----------------------------
Thanks for the details. Per the pdf article, it seems they should properly be call 'true' B& H F.Besson horns, manufacture by Kanstul in the USA. Those horns might be called 'Gen II' of the F. Besson.

Is there any info whether the design of those horns was influenced by Kanstul?

Jay
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Tuningbell wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

Jay

Actually, there are even now still around a hundred Besson and F.Besson bells spanning the generations hanging in the late Byron Autrey's workshop. At some point those will probably reach the resale market and I fear someone is going to try precisely that. It would waste both a good bell and a great horn as Byron matched leadpipes to the bells for most all of Kanstul's many French/Benge products including the Besson stencils. As those bells were unique, such a random pairing with one of the wide variety of "actual" Besson bells would undoubtedly produce inferior results.

That would totally suck.. I hope if those bells do come to market they are sold to informed people who could either pair them with proper components or build a limited run of Frankenbessons with the buyers knowledge. Almost a throwback to the prewar days.
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JayKosta"]
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Tuningbell wrote:

-----------------------------
Thanks for the details. Per the pdf article, it seems they should properly be call 'true' B& H F.Besson horns, manufacture by Kanstul in the USA. Those horns might be called 'Gen II' of the F. Besson.

Is there any info whether the design of those horns was influenced by Kanstul?

Jay

In my opinion you have it backwards the F Besson influenced Kanstul and many others. The Benges that were made by Zig were inspired by the French Besson as far back as when Elden Benge was owner of the company and played a F Besson in Chicago until he switched to his own F Besson inspired Benge. The French Besson influenced everything. It was also copied by Vincent Bach. it was the leader of piston valve trumpets that played the best At that time. They are still considered to be the holy Grail of trumpets by many although everyone is a little bit different as the design was never really formalized. That’s where is Zig and V. Bach really tried to improve and formalize metallurgy, components, manufacturing techniques to make a balanced consistent repeatedly manufactured instrument. The French Besson design and instruments pre 1942 are what we are talking about. Zigs design especially for Besson was influenced by Besson. Where he may have had input was on modern technologies to build the horns and Cnc machines better mandrels, more consistent tube drawing etc. The article I posted tells you the process of how they copied specs from a variety of horns to come up with a production model so I guess in some way he “influenced” the final product but I’m not happy with that wording. If you ever see a Benge and F Besson note the middle valve slide direction. It points towards the bell. Another detail copied by Benge from the F Besson.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The circa 1880 F.Besson was the first modern trumpet. That influenced Holton, which departed from French bore progression, but adopted the wrap and basic principles. Holton influenced Bach and Schilke directly (and Conn indirectly). Schilke then influenced Benge who was committed to the French bore progression. Benge pulled Schilke back in the French bore /sound direction partially. The true French/Besson trumpet concept was not preserved, but rather continued in advancement by Benge. Benge worked with Autrey (who like Schilke was a strong proponent of science-based design) and also exposed Kanstul to the concepts. Autrey continued advancing the concept after Benge died, working in the background with Kanstul right up to a couple years ago.

Keep your eye on BAC. They are not just the custodians of the Benge name, they are the next generation for the continuing advancement of the French/Besson concept.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuningbell wrote:
The article I posted tells you the process of how they copied specs from a variety of horns to come up with a production model so I guess in some way he “influenced” the final product but I’m not happy with that wording. ...

--------------------------------------------------
The article says they collected specs from multiple instruments, but doesn't go into any detail about WHO made the decisions about the 'sound objectives' - except to mention that

"... we had to find the typical F.Besson, the one with the sound and playing characteristics musicians are looking for today."

I'm sure that Kanstul was a major influence regarding the mechanics of the manufacturing process that he could provide. I'm just curious about Kanstul's involvement in choosing the 'sound and playing characteristics".

Regardless, it is a very interesting project.

Jay
Bogey Factory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered why the Kanstul made F. Bessons were designed with the noticeably taller wrap. The few pre Kanstul Bessons I've actually had in my hand were wrapped much more like a Benge if not a tiny bit tighter. It seems that would have been a major part of the design and certainly something Kanstul could have done. The Kanstul Bessons seem much more Elkhart Bachlike in that regard.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogey Factory wrote:
I've always wondered why the Kanstul made F. Bessons were designed with the noticeably taller wrap. The few pre Kanstul Bessons I've actually had in my hand were wrapped much more like a Benge if not a tiny bit tighter. It seems that would have been a major part of the design and certainly something Kanstul could have done. The Kanstul Bessons seem much more Elkhart Bachlike in that regard.

I suspect that everyone involved in the Boosey & Hawkes resurrection of the F. Besson trumpets were looking for a production model that made reference to the pre-war designs but also offered the contemporary player a more versatile, all-around instrument. Hence, the taller, more Bach-like wrap. The wrap on those horns were significantly taller than the Benges that preceded them. Zig Kanstul designed the horns with significant input from Byron Autrey, among other technicians and players in Zig’s orbit.
BKA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

Many thanks for your great answers!
In fact there is a lot of information that helps me a lot to understand.
The only thing I don't quite understand yet is why the engraving of the bell stops on my with a star and on the many photos I have seen on the Internet there is still something engraved in French.
my:

from the net:

another question about the serial number; do I have the 2638 or the 12638?
and if my trumpet is the 12638, why is the 1 above and the 2638 below?
Sorry for the many questions and also if you don't understand me so well because of my English.

Bjoern
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKA wrote:
The only thing I don't quite understand yet is why the engraving of the bell stops on my with a star and on the many photos I have seen on the Internet there is still something engraved in French.

-----------------------------------
Perhaps the photos from the internet are of original vintage F.Besson instruments, and they likely (?) were thought 'worthy' of claiming the awards that were won (the additional engraving on their bell).

As 'Liberty Lips' suggested -
"I suspect that everyone involved in the Boosey & Hawkes resurrection of the F. Besson trumpets were looking for a production model that made reference to the pre-war designs but also offered the contemporary player a more versatile, all-around instrument."

So the version built by Kanstul might be different from the original version that is associated with those awards, and it was thought to be inappropriate to attach the awards to the Kanstul version.

Jay
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting article but it misses the main point. Boosey and Hawkes didn't make trumpets in the 80's to any great extent and they did not have the facilities to make any. Prior to the F Besson revival the Sovereign trumpet had been effectively discontinued. The student instruments were being manufactured in Malta. They had no professional trumpet and most of their output was brass band instruments. Paul Rigett was in the process of leaving I think and so was Richard Smith. The tie in with kanstul and the revival of the Besson trumpets solved this problem for them.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: