• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

F. Besson Meha by Kanstul

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BKA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay

as you describe it, it sounds reasonable ...

Anyway, tomorrow I can hold the horn "live" in my hands ... I am really looking forward to it ...

And as you guys say, it's supposed to be a great horn, right?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, horns made by Kanstul have a good reputation for being well built, and to play very well.

Sometimes a different mouthpiece will work better, especially depending on the 'blow feeling'.
Play using your current mouthpiece for at least 1 week, to get accustomed to the new horn. Then think about whether the 'feel' needs any change.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKA wrote:
Hello everybody,

Many thanks for your great answers!
In fact there is a lot of information that helps me a lot to understand.
The only thing I don't quite understand yet is why the engraving of the bell stops on my with a star and on the many photos I have seen on the Internet there is still something engraved in French.

Bjoern

Although the bell stamps varied with the models of the Kanstul-made Bessons, they seemed to stay consistent within the models. The large-bore Mehas did have the following below the star:

66 HAUTES RÉCOMPENSES
6 GRANDS PRIX
HORS CONCOURS
MEMBRE DU JURY

I can only speculate why the horn you’re looking at is missing that part of the stamp. My guess is that the number “1” above the serial number indicates that it was a one-off that has something different in its specifications, perhaps a modified leadpipe or a bell-choke (which would have made it similar to a CG model Benge), and having only half a bell stamp would have helped them keep it separated from the stock horns during manufacture.

If it plays well for you, I wouldn’t worry about how it might be different from a stock model. There is no question that it is a Kanstu-made F. Besson Meha from the mid 1980’s, and it is a very high-quality horn.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread appears to be an appropriate opportunity to ask a question I've always had concerning F. Besson horns: Where is the meaning of the term "Meha?"

I played a mid-70's Benge 5x through high school and college and it still plays like new today 35 years hence. It's interesting to learn about its heritage. I happened to visit a small military museum in Florida a couple of years ago while on vacation and they had a Besson horn on display that a WWII soldier had purchased while stationed in France. It looked virtually identical to my Benge. it was a pleasant surprise to see it on display.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
This thread appears to be an appropriate opportunity to ask a question I've always had concerning F. Besson horns: Where is the meaning of the term "Meha?"

I played a mid-70's Benge 5x through high school and college and it still plays like new today 35 years hence. It's interesting to learn about its heritage. I happened to visit a small military museum in Florida a couple of years ago while on vacation and they had a Besson horn on display that a WWII soldier had purchased while stationed in France. It looked virtually identical to my Benge. it was a pleasant surprise to see it on display.

Meha is a nickname or reference to GA Besson's grand-daughter

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuningbell wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Tuningbell wrote:
JayKosta wrote:
Were the Kanstul horns made with bells that contained the 'PARIS' and 'F. Besson' engraving?
Perhaps an original Besson bell on a Kanstul body?

Jay

Nope Bells and everything made by Kanstul: This explains it all:
http://users.actrix.co.nz/mcamilleri/Besson/KanstulBesson.pdf
Great horns! I cannot guarentee some private bell swaps but unlikely to destroy a pre war F. BESSON to put on a Kanstul body as the value of any F. BESSON from that period would exceed making a FRANKENHORN

Actually, there are even now still around a hundred Besson and F.Besson bells spanning the generations hanging in the late Byron Autrey's workshop. At some point those will probably reach the resale market and I fear someone is going to try precisely that. It would waste both a good bell and a great horn as Byron matched leadpipes to the bells for most all of Kanstul's many French/Benge products including the Besson stencils. As those bells were unique, such a random pairing with one of the wide variety of "actual" Besson bells would undoubtedly produce inferior results.

That would totally suck.. I hope if those bells do come to market they are sold to informed people who could either pair them with proper components or build a limited run of Frankenbessons with the buyers knowledge. Almost a throwback to the prewar days.

Just a heads-up: Meridian Winds came into possession of those bells and has been selling them on EBay

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Just a heads-up: Meridian Winds came into possession of those bells and has been selling them on EBay

Do you have a link to one of their auctions? I couldn't find anything when I searched eBay.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

Do you have a link to one of their auctions? I couldn't find anything when I searched eBay.

Their account name is sax5173328. They have a huge number of listings - its hard to find things. Not sure if there are any Besson bells at this moment not sold, but there were a lot more than I have seen show up as sold, so I expect more coming. Some have also been in lots of assorted junk.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Kanstul Bessons Reply with quote

Zig told me the history of Meha. Madame Besson released the Meha after Besson was restricted by legislative fiat. Then the Besson factory released the Meha to counter law.

New Meha was a great seller.

In fact, I purchased a Brevete in '90s and played it for many years. Great all around horn.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Méha was her actual name in fact

Méha Pauline Henriette Fontaine-Sabatier
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Liberty Lips wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

Their account name is sax5173328. They have a huge number of listings - its hard to find things. Not sure if there are any Besson bells at this moment not sold, but there were a lot more than I have seen show up as sold, so I expect more coming. Some have also been in lots of assorted junk.
!

They just posted more bells, model stay later ones, but one Mehta.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: