• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Equipment advice after a few years off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austincox214951

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Equipment advice after a few years off Reply with quote

In high school, I did a lot of trumpet playing, and I think the constant marching band practices with after school wind ensemble playing kinda got to me and gave me some burnout. Now that I've had some time off after being in college for a few years and spending some time in the Army I've been getting the itch to play again so I figured I should ask around for some equipment advice before making any sort of purchase.

I'm not looking to do anything crazy or even close to a professional level so I'm not even considering buying a trumpet anywhere close to what I was considering when I still kinda wanted to be a music major but I'm not sure what people would recommend. I had previously played a Bach TR500, nothing special, and while I'm definitely looking to upgrade a little from that, I'd like to keep it somewhat affordable, maybe a used horn in the 500-600 dollar range. What would you all recommend looking for in the range? Anything to avoid?

Also, I think, generally speaking, most players start out on a 7C mouthpiece. Over time I had made the switch to a 3C but I wasn't sure if it would be beneficial to start back on the 7C again.

Last edited by austincox214951 on Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:18 pm; edited 16 times in total
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask if you liked playing the Bach TR500. If you still have that horn, I would start back with that and your last used mouthpiece (3C?). Familiar is probably good to start your comeback. As you get back in shape, you will discover what you really want in a horn or what you feel is lacking in that horn.
If you do not still have the horn and want to start with an upgrade, I would try and choose a used Bach horn with similar specifications. Again, my thought is starting out on your comeback, familiarity is good. In each of my two comebacks (a long time ago), I started out on my student horn and mouthpiece I had used in school. The familiarity made things easier, I believe.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales

Last edited by cgaiii on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii gives good suggestions. Considering your level of playing and budget, I think I might just resume on the Bach TR500 and save your money for when (and if) you are ready for a large jump in a horn. I've blown a Bach TR500 as a comeback player and was impressed by it.

You might also consider a used Yamaha YTR-4335Gll. Good horn and outstanding consistency.

cgaiii - what do you mean by, As you get back in shame, . . ?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

cgaiii - what do you mean by, As you get back in shame, . . ?

Typo, sorry. Duly corrected.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many comebackers place a lot of importance on their equipment. In reality equipment is what matters the least. As long as your trumpet is a decent horn, and your mouthpiece is a medium standard size or the mouthpiece you last played, you are good to go. The equipment won't do much if anything to help. Start practicing.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent horn in good working condition will be fine for your purposes. If you still have the Bach TR500 and it's in good working condition I suggest you stay with that for now. As for the mouthpiece, if the 3C was working for you the last time you were playing then I suggest you stay with the 3C.

If you don't still have the Bach TR500 then you're going to be shopping. I collect only professional level trumpets so I don't have experience with student level trumpets and cannot give you a knowledgeable recommendation in that category.

What I can tell you is that if you increase your budget to $1,000 you'll start having a lot of choices in used professional level trumpets such as an LA Benge or Getzen Severinsen in good condition. I've found King Silver Flairs (the King Instrument Company version - you don't want the UMI version) in almost like new condition for $750. So even a bump to $750 might get you a professional level horn in good condition.
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Good deals on used trumpets Reply with quote

If you do a little research on the internet beforehand so you can identify a decent trumpet and are patient it's possible to find great deals on used trumpets. I stopped playing in 1971 when I joined the Navy. About 8 years ago my daughter announced that she and a friend wanted to play trumpets in their 6th grade band so I started up again. I boned up on Conns, Kings, Olds, Kanstuls (including F Bessons), Blessings, Yamahas, etc on the internet so I could ID a decent model from junk when I came across one. You will not find a good deal on a Bach. They are always overpriced. In a relatively short time, I found a Blessing ML-1 on Craigs list for $300 in great shape. It ended up being too nice for my kid and too stuffy for me, so I flipped it. (That was before I boned up on valve alignment.) I got my Olds Custom Crafted P-10 off of Craigs list for $125 from a lady who didn't know what she had even though she had owned it since 1969. She listed it as an Olds with no identification markings. I ID'd it as a Custom Crafted as soon as I saw it because I had researched Olds trumpets on the web. It played like crap because it had felts that were way too thick. The valves were way out of alignment. I got a PVA on it and WOW! It's designed as a lightwieght Mendez which means it plays like a Benge. It was the most expensive Olds trumpet back in the day. 150% more than a Recording trumpet. I picked up my Kanstul F Besson on ebay for $499. It came in great condition, with a double horn case, spare heavy bottom valve caps, and a certificate signed by Dennis Najoom. It was listed just as a Besson in excellent condition. I could tell from the photos that it was a Kanstul F Besson Classic (Bach Strad clone). My Kanstul F Besson C trumpet was listed accurately as old stock, unused condition buy now for $750 so I grabbed it immediately. It had some acid bleed at the bell rim, but so what. I got my 1947 Conn 22b on ebay for $100. It looked like crap, no dents, great valves. I took the lacquer off and it plays just fine if you like a small bore horn. I picked up a couple of horns from local estates sales. I got a Kanstul FB International for $115 because the valves and slides were all stuck. Nut-buster and a hair dryer solved that. I flipped that one too. I got my Chicago Benge at an estate sales. The key to finding the deals is to be able to ID good trumpets quick. You could get a huge score if you happen to find a seller that doesn't know what they have. Good hunting.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever horn makes you go 'man, can't wait to play this thing!' whenever you look at it. That way, it'll be much easier to get the practice hours in (which is where the real improvement is made).

Note that it doesn't need to be an expensive horn. It's just gotta be a functional horn that you're eager to play.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While equipment will not help you play better at this level, it will have the potential to impede you.

Under $1000 these days, the opportunities for equipment that will frustrate you by adding to the challenge are considerable, and the ones that will not, require some knowledge of brands and how to spot condition issues that most in your situation will not have.

All I can say is, if sticking to that budget and the horns that go with it, make sure you have an option to return for at least 30 days.

Things to watch out for:
- mechanical condition
- feels flimsy in your hands
- valves sticking
- valves leaking (use the method of pulling fist slide, blocking the tube end and blowing into the receiver - if there is much flow, run away!)
- "valve articulation" is muddy (the notes are not crisply separated as you switch fingerings without tonguing)
- getting tired (even faster than you already will) when matching a tuner
- you sound "better" on someone else's horn (seek out opportunities to compare!!)
- when you drop by the local repair tech, he/she says "I wont work on those".

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have your Bach TR500 take it to your local music repair tech for servicing and then get (re)started on that. If not, you should be able to find one used in good condition within your price range.

The Getzen 700S Eterna II (or even the 300/400 series horns) or the Yamaha 400-series intermediate trumpets are also good options and can often be found used in your price range.

As for mouthpiece, if the 3C was working well for your in high school it is probably a good one to start back on.

Equipment issues aside, give serious consideration to some lessons. Even just a few to help you make sure you are (re)starting right will pay big dividends in the long run. Bad habits, once developed, are hard to break, and can be a major source of frustration later on.

Finally, once you get your chops back into shape consider joining a school or community group. That can help give you a sense of purpose for your practice.

Good luck, and have fun!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone notice the OP's request for advice was Feb 2020?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Did anyone notice the OP's request for advice was Feb 2020?

Hehe, nope. Sharp observation!
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: