• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stan Mark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Stan Mark Reply with quote

I just finished listening to some vintage Maynard Fergusion and was wondering if his brilliant lead trumpet player Stan Mark was still alive and kicking.

I saw Maynard many times in person and still remenber Stan with his afro screaming away in the trumpet section. One of my heroes.

Anyone have any information regarding Mr. Mark?

Thank you,

Steve
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: stan mark Reply with quote

He's still with us!!! He has a FB page where he comments from time to time. I believe he's living in Las Vegas and still playing.

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Butch. Nice to hear.

Steve
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Maynard decades ago and was always impressed with Stan. He had a great 1st trumpet sound, great high chops and a real "bad boy" attitude as a youth I thought was so cool.

And he sold me and my dad a couple t shirts!!
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further thinking on the older 80s MF days: Thise guys acted like they were at a party every time I saw them.

Everybody had crazy long hair, they were always laughing and joking. I assume there was lots of partying and mind altering substances involved.

Maynard never seemed snarky with anybody from what I saw. Seemed like he was a very forgiving and easy going guy to work for. Maybe that's only what I saw during shows, but seemed like nothing but good vibes.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Stan Mark Reply with quote

I believe Stan Mark is living in or near Portland nowadays and has something to do with a limo service. He left Las Vegas some time ago.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stanmarkmusic.com/ ... Central Point, Oregon
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a MF themed Facebook page that Stan contributes to time to time. Several other MF alumni show up there are well.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:

The Schedule section on his webpage was last updated in June 2005. Perhaps he's too busy to update it...

Seriously, hope he's doing well - he was a big part of the Wow factor of the Maynard Ferguson Orchestra back in the day.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
RussellDDixon wrote:

The Schedule section on his webpage was last updated in June 2005. Perhaps he's too busy to update it...

Seriously, hope he's doing well - he was a big part of the Wow factor of the Maynard Ferguson Orchestra back in the day.

I could be wrong but maintaining a web page seems to be a hassle that a lot of musicians don't relish. It's my guess that many musician's web pages are either commissioned or created by friends, not the musicians themselves. I've seen lots of musician web pages go untouched for years. These days it's so much easier to update a Facebook page or Tweet your fans.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard Stan was up in the Pacific NW and owned a Limousine service. I don't think he's playing professionally anymore, in fact he sold a number of his horns within the past couple of years.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard him speak at the opening of the jazz museum in Texas that has most of Maynard's memorabilia. At that time he said he played Taps for military funerals when asked and taught one student, a retired friend, but that was pretty much it.
http://shermanjazzmuseum.com/home/

Matt
tim_wolf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent post on the "Get on the bus" FB page had a reply by Stan who stated that he is no longer playing.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
RussellDDixon wrote:

I could be wrong but maintaining a web page seems to be a hassle that a lot of musicians don't relish.

Or for that matter even starting one in my case.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Stan Mark Reply with quote

I am adding this to a string that is three years old already, but it brought back memories so I will add it. Back about 1975 I drove a couple h.s. players over to a Maynard concert in southern Minnesota at a h.s. there. Old school gym and e got there plenty early so we got three seats up front and they played on the side of the old gym that was the stage. Behind the curtain which was partially pulled I hear this trumpeter warming up with this BIG sound. I thought the curtains were going to flutter. I just got curious and walked up the side stairs and peaked behind the curtain and that big sound was Stan Mark. He didn't act perplexed and we had a short conversation where we talked about Benges and he gave me some practice tips. Very cordial and nice even though I was basically interrupting him getting ready for work. And Yea to agree with everyone else he had that aura of a musician traveling in the 70s with the afro and all. Great lead trumpet and great memory.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only brush with Stan was back in the 70s. I'd arrived at an MF concert in Santa Monica way early and had nothing to do so I decided to walk around the auditorium. When I got to the loading dock I couldn't help but notice that there was a single case there, all by itself. There wasn't anything or anyone around. So I took it upon myself to check it out. Sure enough, it was a trumpet case. I recall that it didn't even have a handle and it was being held together with duct tape. Then I noticed that it had Stan's name on it! I waited for quite a while for someone to come get it. I even tried banging on the door to see if I could get someone's attention. Nothing. Refusing to leave the case fearing someone would boost it, I decided to pick it up and carry it to the front of the auditorium. Eventually, I got someone to open a door. I clumsily tried to explain my concern and with some prompting, they took the horn from me. Sure hope it made it to Stan.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story.

I was at Disneyland in the fall, probably in the early 80s, and there was this killer brass group dressed in Dickens/Victorian garb caroling. They took a break and I started talking to one of the trumpet players. He introduced himself as Stan Mark. My jaw dropped.

I (I guess tactfully) asked him what on earth he was doing caroling at Disneyland and he just shrugged and said it helped him pay for Christmas, LOL. Very nice and approachable.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by the design engineer at King Musical Instruments (Eastlake, OH) back in the early 1980s that the .470 bore Benge 7X was created for Stan Mark. (Benge was a subsidiary of King in those days.)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: