• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Swabbing Leadpipe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 'cha, cgaiii.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the designer certainly has “first dips” on how to use his product, I use it a bit differently.
I grasp to bell flair with my 3rd, 4th, and 5th fingers, while supporting the tuning slide with my 1st and 2nd fingertips when pulling the swap through. I have no concerns whatsoever with regard to possibly bending the tuning slide, as a result of this application. It simply Works fantastic.
As a note, I first run a HW synthetic swab though my horn to get the excess condensation out before running the Wendt swab through my trumpet. Seems to be a winning combination for me. I own two Wendt swabs and am 100% satisfied with their performance.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I prefer to not just swab the leadpipe as this will mess with the grease where the tuning slide engages. I wonder how people who only swab the leadpipe deal with this.

If you run the swab through like Tim shows in his video it doesn’t disturb the slide grease.

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a question about how widespread a use of swabbing is, per se, and this is not confined to any one product, just the act itself. I have been a professional musician for half century. I played trumpet in school and university and a hitch in the Air Force.

I then worked in other musical concentrations so, in one respect, I am a comeback (to trumpet) player. In all that time, I have never seen anyone swab their horn. I may have just missed it, but have never noticed it, nonetheless.

So my question is, is this yet another case of micro-managing something brought about mainly by the internet or do the majority of players actually swab their horns? Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
bspickler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I have three of Tim's swabs and use them at home daily, but I don't carry them to rehearsals or gigs. I also use spit balls at home.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I've got a question about how widespread a use of swabbing is, per se, and this is not confined to any one product, just the act itself. I have been a professional musician for half century. I played trumpet in school and university and a hitch in the Air Force.

I then worked in other musical concentrations so, in one respect, I am a comeback (to trumpet) player. In all that time, I have never seen anyone swab their horn. I may have just missed it, but have never noticed it, nonetheless.

So my question is, is this yet another case of micro-managing something brought about mainly by the internet or do the majority of players actually swab their horns? Thanks.

It's very anecdotal, but both of my teachers (both well established professional players) regularly swab their horns' leadpipes. They just do it at home, rather than at the rehearsal or performance venue. Both are older and are not involved in online trumpet communities, so I don't think they picked the practice up from online.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swab my trumpet(s) lead pipe about every other time or third time I play one. i occasionally swab the tuning slide. I use a older Leblanc swab.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

I get this. While I have never been a full time professional, my background is probably somewhat like yours, minus the multi instruments and time in the service. I also had never heard of this until, actually, I happened upon this forum, but IMO swabbing a leadpipe makes sense, it seems like good preventative maintenance and it takes maybe a minute after playing. As long as you use reasonable caution and don’t use any excessive force I see no downside.

Brad
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first swab was a Doc Severinsen/Akright (I think), endorsed by Doc of course, and similar to Tim's BDSE. I'm guessing that was going on 40 years ago. My teachers in HS and college (latter a Claude Gordon disciple) encouraged swabbing out the leadpipe to help preserve the horn and keep it playing better. That said I played professionally only little back then and rarely since so I couldn't say how widespread it is among pro players. My teachers were pros, so I guess that's a few...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason I asked, and your experience reminded me, is that my H.S. and college teacher was also the first trumpet in the Symphony, the university brass instructor, and studied with Schilke, and he never once recommended a swab's use to me or anyone else. {Of course, he could have hated us. )

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swab the tuning slide and lead pipe together to prevent grease from getting on the swab. I do it every time I play, whether I am rehearsing or its a gig. Since I play vintage horns, the cleaner I keep the lead pipe and tuning slide, the longer they will last. I have tried most of the swabs on the market and most of them get the job done, while their longevity varies.

I have found the HW Brass Saver for trombone not only works the best, but it seems to hold up the longest. It also works to swab out the horn and allow it to dry faster when I disassemble the horn for a major cleaning.
cbumcrot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading all these posts on using Tim's Best Damn Swabs.... and I'm a little confused. First.... his swabs are fabulous. I have several that i leave in my studio and in various cases. They are strong, well made and I have never had a problem with any of them. I also clean them now and then in hot water... something that nobody has mentioned. It's a chamois... just flatten it out and let it dry and reuse. Second... this isn't rocket science people. Pull the swab through the tube, with the slide in or out, and it will be cleaner than it was beforehand. It will NOT perfectly clean or degrease the trumpet. It's a SWAB for the first 18 inches or so of the horn. I use it weekly, and clean my horn(s) every 4-6 weeks or so. Again.... not rocket science. I am a real fan of Tim... not to mention a great friend. He put a lot of thought and time into this design. I have nightmare stories of using other swabs by major companies...... leaving me to grab a flute players swab "rod" to push a broken swab from my lead pipe just mins before a downbeat - several times. I don't mean to be condescending at all... it's just common sense to not force anything. This is a really great product and the only swab I recommend to my students.
2many5s

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbumcrot wrote:
I'm reading all these posts on using Tim's Best Damn Swabs.... and I'm a little confused. First.... his swabs are fabulous. I have several that i leave in my studio and in various cases. They are strong, well made and I have never had a problem with any of them. I also clean them now and then in hot water... something that nobody has mentioned. It's a chamois... just flatten it out and let it dry and reuse. Second... this isn't rocket science people. Pull the swab through the tube, with the slide in or out, and it will be cleaner than it was beforehand. It will NOT perfectly clean or degrease the trumpet. It's a SWAB for the first 18 inches or so of the horn. I use it weekly, and clean my horn(s) every 4-6 weeks or so. Again.... not rocket science. I am a real fan of Tim... not to mention a great friend. He put a lot of thought and time into this design. I have nightmare stories of using other swabs by major companies...... leaving me to grab a flute players swab "rod" to push a broken swab from my lead pipe just mins before a downbeat - several times. I don't mean to be condescending at all... it's just common sense to not force anything. This is a really great product and the only swab I recommend to my students.

I have used them for years, always lazily just left one on the floor on top of towel for use after practice and our last dog somehow knew to leave it alone....I incorrectly assumed our new dog would do the same but apparently a wet oily chamois tastes really, really good, the only time I have ever had an issue with one of Tim’s swabs!! Nobody’s fault but mine and all “ended” well💩!
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one of these swabs. FWIW, it's too big for some leadpipes -- e.g. won't go through the leadpipe of the Selmer Concept TT (which also blocks the ball on the HW Brass Saver, but you can cut that off), and at least one of the leadpipes on the Edwards Gen III.

I've also found that more than one of my horns has ended up with a slipping tuning slide over time. Maybe that was just coincidence, but it now worries me to remove and replace them on a daily basis.

Anyhow, I am now another satisfied user of the Blow Dry Brass product, which brings out a surprising amount of moisture beyond what's in the leadpipe and tuning slide. Highly recommended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: