• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rookie mistake!šŸ¤¬

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Rookie mistake!šŸ¤¬ Reply with quote

Had to play a simple fanfare at a Fat Tuesday gig, to signal the entrance of the ā€œking and queenā€, TOTALLY fracked the first note!!!

Sure, lots of the crowd probably didnā€™t notice, but REALLY embarrassing and annoying!!!!šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬

It happens, I guess....šŸ˜

Anyone else care to share goofy-mistake stories?

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens. You're in good company.

I was playing Taps at an Eisenhower memorial service when he died, and like an idiot, instead of just playing it with a few valves down, lower range, I played it open and blew the top G. Clam city.

It was an emotional moment and for the deceased, you don't get a second chance.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does blowing so hard on a solo that you push the harmon mute out of the bell count ?
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
Does blowing so hard on a solo that you push the harmon mute out of the bell count ?

I guess that might count, but at least thatā€™s an equipment problem, as opposed to an I-sounded-like-a-sixth-grader-on-the-first-note problem!šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬

But at least the rest of the gig went well!

Brad
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
It happens. You're in good company.

I was playing Taps at an Eisenhower memorial service when he died, and like an idiot, instead of just playing it with a few valves down, lower range, I played it open and blew the top G. Clam city.

It was an emotional moment and for the deceased, you don't get a second chance.

Another Taps moment here. This year's Veteran's Day program....I conduct the National Anthem, the Armed Forces medley, sit through a couple of speakers, and then it's time for Taps. My first trumpet player bailed on me, so I'm playing it. About 45 minutes after I last had a chance to play I pick up the horn, take a breath, and something like an air ball going through puberty came out. My whole band turned around and I started over. Nailed it after that...lol.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see some air balls out here by experts, and as an amateur it sucks when I donā€™t nail it. Had a brass ensemble Sunday, and despite nailing a tricky descant over and over at home, I just didnā€™t nail it Sunday.

It seems most of the challenges I see, and read about here, are nailing entrances. My lesson learned- work on EVERY entrance as many times as possible, and know exactly the count the director will use for the entrance.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwag wrote:
It seems most of the challenges I see, and read about here, are nailing entrances. My lesson learned- work on EVERY entrance as many times as possible, and know exactly the count the director will use for the entrance.

Good point, in retrospect thatā€™s what happened to me last night. They were not specific about the little ā€œfanfareā€ they wanted, so I just improvised. In doing so, I simply did not concentrate on the first pitch, thus, ā€œthhwwattā€. Made a quick recovery, but you ā€œcanā€™t un-ring a bell.ā€

Which is why I called this a rookie mistake, I should have paid more attention to the first note. The saving grace was that I played better than average for the rest of the gig. This was our sixth Mardis Gras gig this month, frankly, Iā€™m glad those are finished.

Brad
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stars & Stripes Forever and the end of an otherwise well played 2+ hour AF Band concert.. attacked the high "C" stinger at the end and a big fat Bb sounded...

On another occasion, playing "Officer's Call" at an inside event - part way through the call a women guest walked infront of me, slinging her shawl over her shoulder, it also grabbed the spit valve on my trumpet and forcibly pulled it from my face - creating a loud yelp / kiss off. Classy.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Even after years of playing taps, it is always an adventure. Nice to know I am in excellent company. I keep thinking that really good audiation is the key, but there are also circumstances. No time is like another time. It is quiet and everyone is listening. Yet I still play it and consider it an honor to do so. I guess it is a bit like golf, when you hit one good shot, it keeps you coming back even if you hit some bad ones.

Brad's signature says it all.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai MƤnttƤri Morales
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Rookie Mistake Reply with quote

Gee folks, if you play, and you play for very long it happens. Like Zaferis I did a C that was a B flat in music camp my junior year. Wilbur Crist from Capital University in Columbus was directing the band I was in. I fracked the note, he waved the band to a stop and yelled "NO" can't you hear that? then he said just play it for me and bang I did. And he said "now you can hear it." Crist was a trumpet player and at least knew about fracking up something. A fellow from my school played principle for him at Capital for 3 years and he said when school started again Mr. Crist said, "you know I don't think that young man will ever want to go to college here as I scared him to death." That happened like 54 years ago and i am still here. I guess we grow and get over it. The point is folks you were there to play for something or someone else and that counts up more.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the best hit clams. There's a couple of Buddy Rich albums from the mid 1970s that I'd bet money that Lin Biviano would like to have taken back and overdubbed. The tune "Jesus Christ Superstar" in particular has a nasty out-chorus. Splattered "trippa" notes, clams and notes that just wouldn't slot on the proper pitch.

Those are the risks of playing high notes in a live setting. However I still bought those albums back in the day anyway. Even while knowing well in advance that Lin's clams were on it. Regardless of these errors many of us still are huge fans of Lin. He had "the sound". The kind of tone we pay money to go hear. I'm supposin that Buddy Rich, a total perfectionist decided to keep these takes on the album regardless. He was competing for record sales with Maynard, Kenton and even Duke Ellington. Bands that people who love high notes followed. Biviano being the closest thing that he had to Cat Anderson.

As for my personal failures? I once showboated the last phrase of the National Anthem. Something I'd done many times before. My high G which hardly ever failed me in the past? Wouldn't slot! So I just got a piece of it and finished as best as I could. I was so glad that only my rendition of "Taps" ended up on local Channel 8. This was due to some crazy person on stage who went on a psychotic rant about politics and God. To great boos in the audience. Oh my God! The local police and fire chiefs had to physically remove the poor guy from the stage. So in a way I was lucky. As nobody remembered my less than perfect performance.

Living with ourselves is important. Today I feel much more comfortable inside my own skin than I used to as a young man.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my story: everything I've played in public has been precise and perfect.

Now, if you believe that, ...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
Here's my story: everything I've played in public has been precise and perfect.

Then you are definitely a true trumpet player. You're simply better than every one else.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: