• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Most abandon

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurisumasukeiki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Most abandon Reply with quote

Hello!

I was wondering what orchestral trumpet section playing today do people think plays with most abandon/fervor/passion?

Or put another way, what trumpet section of today do you think is really going for it, "leaving it all out on the field"?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I don’t think sections play with abandon. Some principal players do. But, the sections tend to be more balanced and offer good support the the principal.
That being said. I’ve had the pleasure of hearing Munich Phil live a few times. Trumpets sounded incredible (all Strauss tour) and at times a bit raw (exciting!). Strings sounded amazing as well.
kurisumasukeiki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you for the response, I will definitely check them out!

Yes, I see what you mean about the section playing with abandon. But I am speaking of a more unbridled sound from the principal, with the rest of the section supporting that.

Thanks again for your response!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Most abandon Reply with quote

kurisumasukeiki wrote:
Hello!

I was wondering what orchestral trumpet section playing today do people think plays with most abandon/fervor/passion?

Or put another way, what trumpet section of today do you think is really going for it, "leaving it all out on the field"?

Not today and not a concert band but if you want to hear a trumpetsection really go for it you should listen to Ted Heath´s Swing is King (Decca)
"Two O´clock Jump". And you can hear outstanding trumpet playing. Find it on Spotify!!!!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
kurisumasukeiki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Seymour, for the recommendation! I will definitely check it out!

I of course love hearing inspired playing from any era, and in any genre of music, but i was wondering specifically about the orchestras of today.

Thanks again, I appreciate all your comments and insight!
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Most abandon Reply with quote

kurisumasukeiki wrote:
Hello!

Christmas Cake,

Maybe the BSO trumpet section, within the US.
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurisumasukeiki wrote:
Thanks you for the response, I will definitely check them out!

Yes, I see what you mean about the section playing with abandon. But I am speaking of a more unbridled sound from the principal, with the rest of the section supporting that.

Thanks again for your response!

Kind of a "Who is the Lin Biviano of the orchestral world?"
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The London Symphony Orchestra playing the John Williams movie sound-tracks are pretty fearless. Raiders of the Lost Ark in particular.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Most abandon Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
Maybe the BSO trumpet section, within the US.

I'd +1 to the Boston section, particularly under Adris. (MORE MAHLER)
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody plays with abandon because that would mean abandoning their job. [/i]
kurisumasukeiki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody, thank you very much for your recommendations!

And LaTrompeta, I totally understand where you're coming from!

Not knowing very much about the history of orchestral performance, though, doesn't it seem as though orchestra members have more protection from losing their jobs than they used to?

I mean, couldn't conductors in the past dismiss players with very little cause? Yet some of the most musically uninhibited performances I've heard have come from this earlier era.

Happy to get more of your insights on this subject, and thank you again!
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurisumasukeiki wrote:
Everybody, thank you very much for your recommendations!

Not knowing very much about the history of orchestral performance, though, doesn't it seem as though orchestra members have more protection from losing their jobs than they used to?

I mean, couldn't conductors in the past dismiss players with very little cause? Yet some of the most musically uninhibited performances I've heard have come from this earlier era.

Happy to get more of your insights on this subject, and thank you again!

That is a very interesting observation. When you go back to the years of Glantz, Voisin, Vacchiano, Ghitalla, Adelstein, Herseth, Johnson, there is a style of playing that you don't hear in the USA much now. I would say the older style player had some edge, vibrato, articulated, and had a very personal sound. Now you hear clear resonant, impersonal sounds with a legato style all the time. Many of these players have the same pedigree so I suppose the sameness is understandable. Some middle generation players stood out, like Smith, Schleuter, Stevens, but the character of the trumpet has changed in US orchestras. I hear a lot of good playing but I too am seldom thrilled by it. The conductors of the old generation demanded a lot and got it from their trumpets, I suppose. Any trumpet player who listens to the Cleveland Orch "orchestra music from the Ring" with Szell will hear exactly what I'm talking about and whats been lost.
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a somewhat agree with what was written by the previous poster, look what we’ve gained; better intonation, clearer tone (generally), better balance.
Also, I think the demands now are more than ever. The seasons for the top orchestras are very long and often riddled with the most challenging repertoire.

Not to take anything away from the legendary greats. I do agree many older recordings are more exciting! But maybe only as a trumpet/brass player. I’m not sure winds and strings would feel the same way
Also, another suggestion for the OP would be to check out some of the top Russian orchestras, those players go nuts sometimes (ina good way).
kurisumasukeiki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thank you all for responding and taking the time to answer my post!

I will check out some of the Russian orchestras for sure.

And mhenrikse, I will listen to that recording of Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra as well.

If anybody else has more recommendations, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To win a US audition today, you must play everything in a musically predictable and middle-of-the-road way. If you go in there with a really unique sound and interpretation, some of the committee will LOVE it but others will HATE it, and you probably won't get past the first round. You need to play in such a way that everyone or almost everyone likes most of what you're doing, hopefully loving a couple things here and there.

I've recorded every audition I've taken in the past few years, and the rounds where I've advanced to semis or finals or won, I've consciously aimed at a "middle of the road" interpretation. I telegraph my musical ideas so the committee knows what to expect at all times. No surprises, no very dramatic and unique interpretations, no "outside-the-box" sounds or styles, no pushing of any limits. Everything is pretty, clean, regularized, dutiful to the current opinions on "how it should go," etc. If you screen for playing like this, that's what you're going to get in the orchestra.

I think it's possible to have a unique voice and exciting ideas and still learn how to play "in-the-box" for auditions, but it's difficult!! It's much easier if you play "in-the-box" all the time to play that way in an audition, and so here we are.

There are some notable exceptions to this, I'm not saying every single trumpet player in a US orchestra is not doing any exciting playing. That said, there is a lot of very exciting orchestra trumpeting happening in Europe right now. Both principals in the Concertgebouw orchestra are amazing.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, another thread waxing nostalgic about how no American trumpeters play with any character anymore. I could live to the age of 500 and still not understand why anyone would prefer the wobbly, pitchy, uncontrolled playing of some (not all) of the folks that make the list of heroes of yesteryear.

I completely disagree about having to play in a boring and predictable way in order to win a job - quite the contrary. You do have to have control of your instrument, play in tune, in time and with good rhythm, and with a good, clean resonant sound. Those are table stakes. Play in a musically compelling and interesting way (without being weird/eccentric) and you're going to do very well. We're not looking for boring players, just ones that aren't going to absolutely ruin a performance with their over-the-top, ego-driven uncontrolled "musicality". In an orchestra, you are one part of a team, and you're there to serve the music, not yourself.
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
Ah, another thread waxing nostalgic about how no American trumpeters play with any character anymore. I could live to the age of 500 and still not understand why anyone would prefer the wobbly, pitchy, uncontrolled playing of some (not all) of the folks that make the list of heroes of yesteryear.

I completely disagree about having to play in a boring and predictable way in order to win a job - quite the contrary. You do have to have control of your instrument, play in tune, in time and with good rhythm, and with a good, clean resonant sound. Those are table stakes. Play in a musically compelling and interesting way (without being weird/eccentric) and you're going to do very well. We're not looking for boring players, just ones that aren't going to absolutely ruin a performance with their over-the-top, ego-driven uncontrolled "musicality". In an orchestra, you are one part of a team, and you're there to serve the music, not yourself.

Ego driven? How do you know what motivated any of those players?
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clean speaks the truth and I think we can have it both ways to a certain extent. Orchestral trumpet playing HAS evolved over the last several decades. It is cleaner and more refined but I defy you to sit in the hall and listen live to any of the current principal players (Hooten, Sachs, Martin or Bilger etc to name a few) and not walk away impressed and musically satisfied.

If I had to name one player that maybe bridges the gap best to my ears of great technique and accuracy combined with playing with a lot of character, Esteban Batallán (new-ish principal in Chicago) certainly comes to mind.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not a rare trait among trumpet players, particularly at the collegiate level. I’ve been around long enough to remember that mentality (or echoes of it) in the professional ranks, too - the need to dominate. You can hear it in the playing.

Is this your idea of exciting, character-rich playing? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GYc-gnFgxyM&feature=share
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why, when these threads inevitably roll around, we make this out to be the responsibility of the trumpet players rather than the conductors. The conductors have the last word for basically all the things most of us are talking about here.

Also, despite all the handwringing about lack of individuality in today's trumpet players, just picking a few prominent current US principal players, I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who takes the time to listen closely that, say:

Chris Martin
Thomas Rolfs
Michael Sachs
Thomas Hooten
David Krauss

all have different, distinct, recognizable sounds and styles, and all sound great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: