• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Eterna Cornets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Getzen Eterna Cornets Reply with quote

In my search for the perfect Eterna, I find some I buy are quite leaden or dead in timbre while others sizzle.

Do the newer horns sizzle more?

I always use the same mouthpiece for these tests.

Appreciate any help here.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think cornets are meant to sizzle. My Eterna cornet sounds nothing like a trumpet, but rather has an old-fashioned, mellow cornet sound. But it is interesting that you have found such timbre variations in the examples you have tried. Mine have all sounded about the same.

Sorry, but I have not tried the newer Eterna models.

Good luck with your search!

Steve
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Getzen Eterna Cornets Reply with quote

Although it has been years ago, I had extensive experience with a Getzen Eterna and never thought it, or any of the Eternas I had a chance to play in the future sounded bright, so to speak. About the only observation I made was my college teacher had the school buy a Schilke mpc. for me to use with Symphonic band and that was a wonderful piece. I love the Eterna cornet.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen Eterna Cornets Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Although it has been years ago, I had extensive experience with a Getzen Eterna and never thought it, or any of the Eternas I had a chance to play in the future sounded bright, so to speak. About the only observation I made was my college teacher had the school buy a Schilke mpc. for me to use with Symphonic band and that was a wonderful piece. I love the Eterna cornet.

Same here. Played an Eterna 1969-2015 and never even thought of brightness (of the cornet...). However when I switched to a Getzen 3850/Custom I found the latter to be "darker", having a trifle more core. During 25 years I played on a Bach (/1970) 1 1/4 C. Now Wick Ultra/Schilke 3D3.
Further more I used it in my brassband. We were lucky enough to have the greatest UK bandsmen conducting us, at many occasions (Mortimer/Ball/Brand and many more and they never complained. (I play front row).
To this I could add that the Eterna was a very easy-playing horn, more so than the Custom. Getting older by the day I ponder - should I return to an Eterna?
By the way my Eternas were always marked Large Bore
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mouthpiece are you using?

Eterna's are great in that they play well with anything and can give you anything from a BBB section tone to something much brighter with the right mouthpiece and attitude.

There's a lot of them around and some are rather old by now - a few minor knocks or less than perfect repairs could easily spoil the resonance regardless of what kind of tone you're after.
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Bach 1 1/2C
Eterna's are great in that they play well with anything and can give you anything from a BBB section tone to something much brighter with the right mouthpiece and attitude.

There's a lot of them around and some are rather old by now - a few minor knocks or less than perfect repairs could easily spoil the resonance regardless of what kind of tone you're after.

Can anyone make a comparison between a new Eterna and a 1960s Eterna?
I think the newer are more trumpet-like but I have done only limited testing.
sunlight1952

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: getzen eterna cornets Reply with quote

just wanted to say that my experience with the getzen cornets, as with my other favorite, the salvationist cornet, has been that neither ever sizzles. The only way i was ever able to accomplish some of that was with a schilke 14a4a mouthpiece steven
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNMH wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Bach 1 1/2C

Okay so a more trumpetty mouthpiece to begin with, so you should be able to a decent amount of brightness from a cornet if you push it.

As far as older Vs newer...
I can't say I've paid enough attention to say - by the theory that knocks and/or repairs could remove some resonance, one might reasonably expect older horns to be more likely to have been afflicted by them? Otherwise, no idea!
bencoul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eterna has been manufactured for so long that I would expect subtle differences in cornets from different periods.

Also, I feel that in the brass band world, the days of smaller bored cornets with brighter tones are being left behind and most modern cornets aimed at brass banders tend to have a bigger bore and have a darker tone.
1903 Besson London Prototype
Trumpets:
1930's Besson Brevette
1963 Olds Special
Flugel:
circa 80's Getzen Eterna 895
LarsHusum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNMH wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Bach 1 1/2C

I've noticed that the newer Eterna's have a gold brass leadpipe. Getzen's homepage confirms that as well. My Eterna from the sixties has a yellow brass leadpipe
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsHusum wrote:
DNMH wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Bach 1 1/2C

I've noticed that the newer Eterna's have a gold brass leadpipe. Getzen's homepage confirms that as well. My Eterna from the sixties has a yellow brass leadpipe

I have the newer Getzen Deluxe Cornet and it actually has a sterling silver leadpipe and the bell is rose brass. These cornets are great and play fantastic.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those new Getzen DLX Eterna horns look sooooo nice
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 1-1/2C will definitely garner more sizzle and brilliance. If you're after a more mellow sound, then play equipment that is conducive to that sound.

I have never been dissatisfied with how Eterna cornets play or sound. I have used Wick 2B and a custom Bach mouthpiece: 1X rim with an A underpart.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a eterna 850 LB with rose brass leadpipe and bell for my trad jazz gigs since 1999 and I use always a shallow cup mpc like Reeves 43WS or Purviance P9 and the sound is bright, not like a bright trumpet sound but definitely not dark , brilliant I guess is the best word , meaty but brilliant.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
LarsHusum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
LarsHusum wrote:
DNMH wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Bach 1 1/2C

I have the newer Getzen Deluxe Cornet and it actually has a sterling silver leadpipe and the bell is rose brass. These cornets are great and play fantastic.

I really want to try one of those new Eterna Deluxe cornets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: