• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dark Tone on Trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be a common belief that the oral cavity plays no part in tone generation and only the tones from lip vibration forward plays any part in the tone that emerges from the bell.

I am unconvinced

Empirical testing by players attest to the oral cavity being a contributor.

The fact that tones are present in the oral cavity during playing the mechanism is clearly demonstrated by the sucking method of playing an instrument whereby the air is not blown through the instrument but is sucked from the instrument and tones still emerge from the bell.

Effectively during sucking playing the mouthpiece takes the role of the oral cavity and it is likely that the size of the mouthpiece cup would affect the tone present in that cavity.

This is the quote of what is happening when playing a trumpet by sucking the air from it. It is called a sucked trumpet.

Extract

Trumpet-like instrument played by sucking rather than blowing air through the player’s lips to cause them to vibrate. The instruments vary from animal horns and conical coiled tubes of bark to long wooden tubes, some cylindrical, others expanding similarly to alphorns. The sound is generally quiet, and the pitches are those of the overtone series. Sucked trumpets have been used from Manchuria and Siberia to South America as animal calls and in shamanic rituals; musical performances have also been reported. The term ...

This is the link
https://www.oxfordmusiconline.com/grovemusic/view/10.1093/gmo/9781561592630.001.0001/omo-9781561592630-e-3000000109

I think it is quite reasonable to assume that while playing normally and blowing normally the lips create tones within the oral cavity which are then propagated in the mouthpiece and augment the tones created in the mouthpiece by lip vibration.

This would indeed lead to the ability to richen and darken tones by altering the oral cavity size.

It must be true that tones exist in the oral cavity how else could a sucked trumpet function other than by this means.

The question now is how much does this oral cavity tone affect the instrument tone and there is a wealth of evidence from players who manage to do this, that it does.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air flow direction is not the same as sound propogation in the case of negative pressure source. The pressure pulses are simply negative and the net flow is into the body.

The oral space contributions for trumpet playing are negligible because of the high impedance differences. Flow direction is irrelevant.

Last edited by kalijah on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
... This would indeed lead to the ability to richen and darken tones by altering the oral cavity size. ...

--------------------------------------------
The process of 'altering the oral cavity size' results in changes to the embouchure and the way the lips vibrate.
You might be able to change the tone by altering the oral cavity, but the change might not be because of the size or shape of the cavity; it might be caused by how your embouchure and lips have changed.

With so many 'moving parts' it is difficult to identify the precise cause of an effect.

If it works for you, then great - say what you DO and what results, but it is not necessary to explain WHY it happens.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Air flow direction is not the same as sound propogation in the case of negative pressure source. The pressure pulses are simply negative and the net flow is inro the body.

The oral space contributions for trumpet playing are negligible because of the high impedance differences. Flow direction is irrelevant.

kalijah, are you an engineer? Can you put this in a street musician's vocabulary? Thanks, K-

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought I would need a calculator to play the trumpet. Put the slide rule down and step away from the trumpet...
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:
I never thought I would need a calculator to play the trumpet. Put the slide rule down and step away from the trumpet...

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you put this in a street musician's vocabulary?

Unfortunately, not every complex subject fits neatly into a "simple" explanation.

Just because an explanation is simple doesn't mean that it is accurate.

But I will allow this:
Does reversing the two conductors that connect to your audio speaker cause sound to move INTO the speaker rather than out of it?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Unfortunately, not every complex subject fits neatly into a "simple" explanation.

Just because an explanation is simple doesn't mean that it is accurate.

But I will allow this:
Does reversing the two conductors that connect to your audio speaker cause sound to move INTO the speaker rather than out of it?

And it's relevance to trumpet playing is . . ?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:

If this is true then every trumpet player on similar equipment should sound the same, but they do not. This is not a good, sound (reliable and provable) explanation. How do you explain two players using the same equipment and yet they have very recognizable differences of timbre? I sound like me no matter what horn or mouthpiece I use, give the same equipment to one of my band mates and they do not sound like me, nor do I sound like them. Our tones are unique, how do you explain this?
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound is a periodic variation in air pressure. Reversing the source pressure to be below ambient air pressure does not prevent the variation in pressure from propogating as sound.

When you have a sealed bottle with a negative, or positive. air pressure inside, and you instantly open the top ( pop the cork, so to speak) the pressure change into the bottle will resonate and the sound will propogate into the atmosphere. It doesn't matter if the air inside is above or below the ambient air pressure in its initial state.

So playing a trumpet from negative air pressure is completely possible ( of course not practical).

What you have are pulses of NEGATIVE air pressure into the mouthpiece cup, and each " pulse" will have a negative flow into the mp, or, therefore a "positive" air flow into the oral space.

Just as swapping the spesker conductors reverses the current flow into the speaker coil and reverses the speaker action. But there is still sound power OUT.

Last edited by kalijah on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you explain two players using the same equipment and yet they have very recognizable differences of timbre?

Their lip embouchure fuction and habits is what determines their sound and how the sound varies from player to player.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't hear the sound you want, you will never achieve it.
Go practice until you have the skill to produce it and hear it. Equipment does have some bearing on your sound, but constant over analysis does nothing to get where you want to be.
There is so much pontificating here, what is someone to believe?
R. Tomasek
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
S

When you have a sealed bottle with a negative, or positive. air pressure inside, and you instantly open the top ( pop the cork, so to speak) the pressure change into the bottle will resonate and the sound will propogate into the atmosphere.

Does the internal volume of the bottle have any effect on the sound, frequency, resonance, etc.?
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:
How do you explain two players using the same equipment and yet they have very recognizable differences of timbre?

Their lip embouchure fuction and habits is what determines their sound and how the sound varies from player to player.

But according to your previous explanations over the past several years it would seem the frequency of vibration is constant for a given pitch and lip mass would not affect the tone. Now I am confused. Please explain.
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Does the internal volume of the bottle have any effect on the sound, frequency, resonance, etc.?

Well, my point was regarding relative pressure and sound propogation. But yes, the bottle is a Helmholtz resonator and its physical size influences the resonant frequency. But in the case of playing the instrument, the oral space resonance is negligible because it's acoustic impedance is MUCH MUCH less than the acoustic impedance of the instrument, which is a VERY strong resonance when one is playing with a quality tone.

Also, the resonance frequency of any oral space is MUCH higher in frequency than the fundamental frequency of the tone played. So there is no correlation or "coupling".

Don't be concerned about the oral resonance myths, it's not a factor. Unless you want to venture inro studying physics you probably will not grasp it, and that will not necessarily improve your playing. Just practice and when the sound is good, then do THAT!
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn’t the oral resonance acoustic space go all the way to the bottom of the lungs? I don’t get why you are saying the oral space is so small
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone determined (or masochistic) enough to still be reading this thread looking for wisdom: STOP.

Go study with teachers, who by the success of their students, and perhaps their designs, have shown they know what's what. Learn the truth for youself, by doing, and experimenting, and exploring, and discovering with the help of as many real experts as you are lucky enough to gain access to in person, sharing in your success or otherwise.

Talk is cheap, knowledge isn't.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
To anyone determined (or masochistic) enough to still be reading this thread looking for wisdom: STOP.

Go study with teachers, who by the success of their students, and perhaps their designs, have shown they know what's what. Learn the truth for youself, by doing, and experimenting, and exploring, and discovering with the help of as many real experts as you are lucky enough to gain access to in person, sharing in your success or otherwise.

+1. Kinda. This is actually entertaining
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

I'm reminded of the relative simplicity and directness of Vince Cichowicz' teaching.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: