• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Singing along

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Singing along Reply with quote

I am out to do a rename. From Trixie to Dame Joan.

My 2.5 year old Catahoula has decided she loves to sing along with my playing. All the time.

She matches pitch quite nicely.
Her sense of ensemble is impressive, as she is as loud as a trumpet.
Her diction is a little vowelly for my liking, almost French mumbling. No spitting any consonants at all. Sigh.

Eb trumpet is her favourite.

What do I do?

🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Singing along Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

My 2.5 year old Catahoula has decided she loves to sing along with my playing. All the time.

Her diction is a little vowelly for my liking, almost French mumbling. No spitting any consonants at all. Sigh.

What do I do?

🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

Buy a dog! Get it howling - go touring! Or go viral on Youtube! Trio los Deli! Wonder down under.

Sorry not being familiar with all weird animals down under. But buying another dog could solve it. Ol Andy and his howling duo.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Singing along Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

What do I do?

🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

I had to look up what a Catahoula is - as I guessed it's a breed of dog. My dog (containing the best and worst of many breeds) is a great singer too.

She sings along to trumpet and even more with violin and used to growl with the double bass, but she's given that up - high notes seem to be more her thing. She also doubles as a drummer and thumps her tail in time (though she does tend to speed up when excited).
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sing along with her, she'll really love that. Used to sit with a GSP I had and howl together, really thought it was a pack thing, I guess. Once I'd howl, she'd really bear down and add emotion as well.

If she's as good as you say, you might take her along with you to some stret corner in Sydney and do some busking. Let's see, now- trumpet player, cute little dog? Chick magnet money maker.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we've had this conversation a couple times, but it's always interesting and fun to chat about:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148656&highlight=dog+howling

Sadly, my dog that is in the 2018 video in the thread above has lost a lot of his hearing and doesn't sing any longer. He does sniff the horn and the case as I'm getting things set up for a practice session as if to say, "You're not going to do THAT again, are you?"
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff wrote:
"You're not going to do THAT again, are you?"

Awww, that's cute! My dog seems to be particularly sensitive to concert Eb, regardless of which one. I checked it against my tuner, so not sure what's wrong. 🤔🐶
1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid, I had a dalmatian. He would come into my room when I was practicing scales, stick his nose right in the bell and howl the scale with me. He could get about five notes pretty accurately.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a dog that would sing, but only to the Star Spangled Banner. We discovered it one July 4th when my bitter half was singing, but she did it again when there was a basketball game on. Crazy.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter's dog loves to sing along. It seems like she wants to play a horn, too.
The dog she had before that didn't like trumpet so much.
She bit the bell of my old King Liberty, putting a bunch of teeth marks into it.
We rolled them out, but you can still see them.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the performing suggestions, ha ha - the house already has two dogs, but our old fella just likes to sit about, chase balls and occasionally pass judgement on my playing in the form of a grunt or walk out of the room.

Trixie, our singer, (soon to known as Dame Joan) now comes into the room to let rip! I just wish she was more exacting, like our older, now gone to doggies heaven hound who would sing to Hakan, my C trumpet and just one of my students. The rest of the time? She lay down on the floor under the music stand and released noxious gasses.

Next time, it'll be a goldfish* or budgie.

cheers

Andy

*knowing my luck, it will be a glass eating piranha with a taste for human...
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff wrote:
Yes, we've had this conversation a couple times, but it's always interesting and fun to chat about:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148656&highlight=dog+howling

Sadly, my dog that is in the 2018 video in the thread above has lost a lot of his hearing and doesn't sing any longer. He does sniff the horn and the case as I'm getting things set up for a practice session as if to say, "You're not going to do THAT again, are you?"

This begs the question... Is my trumpet playing going to damage my dog's hearing?

My dog doesn't seem to mind it, and go to sleep in the room while I'm practicing. I assumed if it was harmful he'd just get up and go to another room, but can't help but wonder.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple solution here. I had a cat and on my first note, she would run out of the room.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
WxJeff wrote:

This begs the question... Is my trumpet playing going to damage my dog's hearing?

My dog doesn't seem to mind it, and go to sleep in the room while I'm practicing. I assumed if it was harmful he'd just get up and go to another room, but can't help but wonder.

That has always been my ultimate question, too. I go back to my conclusion in the 2018 thread: when threatened by thunderstorms, my dog quickly moves to his perceived place of safety. If my trumpet playing was hurting his ears, he could leave the room. I am of the opinion it is tied to the pack mentality and he believes he is communicating with the Alpha Male.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Singing Along Reply with quote

We had a terrier mix in days gone by and when I would practice at home, if I forgot to shut the door the sound must have upset Ginger enough where she would start to kind of whine and sing along. The funny thing is she would keep it up and sound like a martial arts expert on "Kung Foo Theatre" I don't suppose that says good things about my playing, but she was so cute doing that.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own dog has been getting more and more talky since we got him. He was virtually silent for the first 3-4 months, but more and more he play growls and whines and roos and barks to communicate. Sometimes he sings along a little bit, but I think he's just doing it because he wants to play.

It still amazes me he can sleep on the floor beside me while playing. And I know he's asleep because sometimes he starts doing the full running while dreaming thing where his feet start twitching etc which I've only ever seen him do while asleep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: