• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 3MV Comparable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gingrai 02

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Bach 3MV Comparable Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Second ever post here. In my last post you all gave me terrific answers and really helped in my search for an optimal mouthpiece. I come to you again in another time of need

I realize it is easier to ask the question rather than to have the correct answer, so any help would be appreciated.

Is there a mouthpiece comparable to the Bach 3MV, Commercial Series Mouthpiece with a deeper cup?

I love the way this mouthpiece blows through, and it really helps my flexibility, range and endurance, which were all the things I was focusing on. I believe these improvements to me playing are due to the cup shape (Modified "V"), cup diameter, throat and backbore size. Unfortunately, Bach does not like to give exact specifications to their equipment, so I have no way to accurately compare to other brands.

Drawbacks... The 3MV does not allow me to 'pitch slot' very easily, and the sound gets a little too harsh or hollow for me after a long playing session.

With that, I am looking towards other Mouthpiece Brands that have the same throat, backbore, cup shape (Modified "V") and cup diameter, but is a little deeper to allow for better slotting of pitch and mellower sound.

So to restate my question, are there any reputable brands (Schilke, Warburton, Yamaha, Etc.) that have a mouthpiece model that is basically a Bach 3MV, but with a deeper cup? What are their part numbers if so?

Appreciate you guys!
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think a deeper cup will allow better slotting?

Quite honestly, it sounds like you're finding weaknesses in your mouthpiece when your chops are getting fatigued.

And other than that, you like the mouthpiece so much you're asking for a mouthpiece that's just like the one you like, except it plays the same when your chops get fatigued.

And I don't think you're really describing a problem with the mouthpiece.

Unless you're experiencing the problems consistently on gigs, in which case I don't think a deeper mouthpiece (with all other parameters the same) is going to help anything at all.

I hate to open this can of worms, but have you measured the gap with this mouthpiece?
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be that your lips are touching the side walls of the V after they swell from a long session..or not, but instead of guessing about it, the folks at GR are very knowledgeable about what you are describing.I would contact them first; Yes their mouthpieces are a bit pricier then most, but they know what they are talking about; Good luck!
Gingrai 02

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski, I haven't measure the gap of the mouthpiece. In truth, I haven't ever heard of this "gap" concept before. Do you perhaps have a source that would allow me to research what the gap is, unless it is easy enough to explain over the forum board

american boy, I hadn't ever heard of GR before. I researched and it seems like information overload at the first couple glances lol Do you currently play on one? How has it been for you and what did you play before if you made the switch?

Thanks for being patient with me guys
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like everything about the mouthpiece except the cup depth, buy a second one and take it to a mouthpiece maker and get the cup deepened a little. Then play it for a week or two and go back and have it deepened more if need be.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingrai 02 wrote:
nieuwguyski, I haven't measure the gap of the mouthpiece. In truth, I haven't ever heard of this "gap" concept before. Do you perhaps have a source that would allow me to research what the gap is, unless it is easy enough to explain over the forum board :)

------------------------------
About 'gap'
There's a maximum distance that the mpc shank can go into the mpc receiver before it touches the beginning of the actual leadpipe. Look inside and you'll see the ridge about 1 inch in.
Most shanks get tight before touching the ridge, and a typical 'gap' is about 1/8 inch.
If your mpc doesn't get snug tight, then it is probably touching the ridge, giving 0 gap.

Some people get wondrous results from making changes in the gap, others see no difference.
An easy way to see if MORE gap helps is by putting a thin strip of paper around the shank so the mpc doesn't insert as far. Doing that might change the playing characteristic of the mpc.
Making the gap less is much more involved ...

And don't try to force the mpc deeply into the receiver, just snug - or you risk causing problems.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
OsmunMusic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What make and model of trumpet(s) are you using the 3MV on and how old is it?

Knowing your complete mouthpiece/horn setup might lead to more specific replies.
978-823-0580
Sales@osmun.com
Gingrai 02

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaykosta, GAP... I will have to try this paper trick out and note the results. Do you or anyone know what the general consensus is for more mouthpiece in the receiver compared to less? Is there a "proper" amount of GAP?

Osmun, I play on a Xeno YTR8335G6, Shires 4S and an old horn, but newly discovered and more enjoyable each time I play it, K-Modified Selmer 24B (I gotta find a brass repair man for this old timer).

John, that is a great idea!

Thanks again guys. There are a lot of new concepts I am just coming across.
OsmunMusic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to consider converting your 3MV to accept the Reeves Sleeve System. This way you can dial in the slotting feel for each horn you have. We charge $50 for that service and can turn it around in a day. We also stock all the Reeves Sleeves.
978-823-0580
Sales@osmun.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: