• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Little resistance and dark sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Little resistance and dark sound Reply with quote

Hi there!
I'm planing to buy new horn and keep my curent one (Conn 38B) as a backup.
I try as many horns as possible and despite larger bore of all of them most seems to have more resistance. Can you advice what brand /models has open feel and broad sound? I prefer horns with fast tapper bells (72). I've read some good rewievs of Carol Brass but I would have to order it without testing ... a bit risky, but on other hand prices are tempting.
Any advice?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Little resistance and dark sound Reply with quote

Mr.M wrote:
Hi there!
I'm planing to buy new horn and keep my curent one (Conn 38B) as a backup.
I try as many horns as possible and despite larger bore of all of them most seems to have more resistance. Can you advice what brand /models has open feel and broad sound? I prefer horns with fast tapper bells (72). I've read some good rewievs of Carol Brass but I would have to order it without testing ... a bit risky, but on other hand prices are tempting.
Any advice?

Carol Brass has a good reputation. You're going to need to adjust to any trumpet you end up buying. There's always going to be some risk buying sight unseen.

You are from Poland, I see. Are you thinking to buy new? What horns are in your budget? Van Laar? Eclipse? I assume you're buying online. Also, when you say "dark" what kind of music do you play, mostly? Orchestra? Jazz? If it happens to be Combo jazz, one horn to look into would be the Flip Oakes Commander.

Like Carol Brass, it's a high quality Asian instrument. It has a larger bell taper, though. Much larger than a 72 Bach or even a Wild Thing. It's still an unknown quantity, but I have played it. It's a good jazz combo trumpet. It would also fit into a small church ensemble and as a solo instrument there.

On the used horn front, there are so many options. B&S would be a good horn. I could go on...

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Burgler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://gamonbrass.com/en/home
They have a lot of instruments you can play test at their place. They are located in Łańcut - nice stop in case you would like to visit Bieszczady

Best regards,
Przemek
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Oakes' Wild Thing or ask him about his new lines.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:

I have to agree that what the OP describes he wants is a Wild Thing. Low resistance/dark sound. That's the Wild Thing.

Another possibility s a .470 bore Callet Jazz. Similar low resistance and a dark sound (although not quite as dark as a Wild Thing).
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Don Herman rev2 wrote:

I have to agree that what the OP describes he wants is a Wild Thing. Low resistance/dark sound. That's the Wild Thing.

Another possibility s a .470 bore Callet Jazz. Similar low resistance and a dark sound (although not quite as dark as a Wild Thing).

One more member of that same Kanstul-built family of Wild Thing and Callet Jazz: Austin Winds Stage 470LT.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about trying horns other than your own, you are used to playing yours and not them.

If you're used to blowing hard, this compounds the issue.

Always start quietly and work your way up to the resonant point of the current combination. Many horn and mouthpiece combinations will shut you down if you blow too hard.

Ideally, you want the resonant point to be placed such that you put minimal effort into getting a full, rich sound that may even sound a bit "blatty", if you're not used to it.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke X3 is one of the most open feeling, dark sounding trumpets I have ever played. The only ones I remember being darker were a Wild Thing and one of those crazy, massive, heavy horns that some people like (I don't). Maybe it was a Taylor Chicago Custom - I don't remember for sure.

I liked that Schilke X3 and I'd think seriously about buying one if I got involved with a Concert Band again.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
License Pending Nurse (I graduated in December and passed the NCLEX February 25th!)
Trumpet Player and Teacher
Personal Valet to a Malamute (people with Malamutes will understand)
https://i.postimg.cc/R0G2bFdQ/IMG-6788.jpg
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
rallison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Little resistance and dark sound Reply with quote

A Schilke B1 may work for you. It certainly blows free but it is not so big that you would fall in.
Mr.M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been way for while ... thanks for all responses, I really appreciate it.
I will start my search/testing again based on your recommendations as soon as this crazy time is gone.
Best wishes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: