• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

c-trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I bought a carolbrass C pocket trumpet used (around $600) and later found a fides symphony that was well used and had a dent in the bell (<$500). After $50 in repairs it's a fun horn. For me these were the compromise between a "great" C trumpet (usually $1000+ used) or a no name. I like them both. I have a teacher now who's mostly jazz, but having two C's also means we can play together.

Do you know which model Carol pocket C, if there is more than one? Is the bell wide enough to accept regular trumpet mutes?
ken_k

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin Custom Brass or Brasspire.Check Horn Trader
1956 Martin Committee #2
1972 Selmer Radial 75 Bb Trumpet
1976 Selmer Radial 99 C/Bb Trumpet
Yamaha 8315G Flugel
Schilke XA1 Cornet
Brasspire P7 Pocket
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multiphonic wrote:
HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I bought a carolbrass C pocket trumpet used (around $600) and later found a fides symphony that was well used and had a dent in the bell (<$500). After $50 in repairs it's a fun horn. For me these were the compromise between a "great" C trumpet (usually $1000+ used) or a no name. I like them both. I have a teacher now who's mostly jazz, but having two C's also means we can play together.

Do you know which model Carol pocket C, if there is more than one? Is the bell wide enough to accept regular trumpet mutes?

I think it's the 4000, in silver (the regular Bb is the 3000), but I feel like there are also models numbered 4000 that are regular (not pocket) C as well as maybe Bb? I like it pretty well. The grip is a little strange, but it's a nice horn and I used it on Easter two years ago. The bell is fulll size (I think maybe 5 inch?) and takes a regular mute. I have a C mouthpiece on order and am hoping to try that on my trumpets.
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Thomann carries the full-sized 4000 C trumpet, which I'm also considering:
https://www.thomannmusic.com/carol_brass_ctr_4000h_yss_c_l.htm

Any feedback on this horn would be appreciated.
ILM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to thank everyone for the replies, wow this site is awesome . I feel like i have a new family . Great comments and helped me make my choice
take care all and be well and wash hands praise God
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Manuel de los Campos"]
Jerry wrote:
If you just want to use it for church and so better use your Bb trumpet and learn how to transpose or rewrite the score

I remember reading about one person's solution a while back. He said he didn't have a need to play B flat sheet music, so he just learned the C equivalent fingerings from the start.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Beyond16"]
Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Jerry wrote:
If you just want to use it for church and so better use your Bb trumpet and learn how to transpose or rewrite the score

I remember reading about one person's solution a while back. He said he didn't have a need to play B flat sheet music, so he just learned the C equivalent fingerings from the start.
I didn't say that; that was Manuel de Campos
robcs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use a Courtois C-trumpet and Getzen Bb-trumpets and I use the same mouthpieces for both trumpets. I am not a pro player but I did do a few years conservatory classical trumpet 30 years ago. During my study I never met trumpet players who opened up mouthpieces.
We just study our instruments rather than searching for quick fix

I think that’s very much a difference between Europe and North America. I’m a Brit who emigrated to Canada. In the UK, I played Bb and so did everyone else I knew (apart from sop cornet players, of course). You bought the best instrument you could afford and a decent mouthpiece and you learned to play them together. If it sounded “wrong” it was assumed to be down to technique.

It’s only since moving to Canada that I’ve discovered the notion of a “mouthpiece Safari”, switching mouthpieces for different purposes, let alone changing horns!

And yet here I am now the owner of two Bb trumpets, an Eb, two C’s, a sop cornet, and the list goes on. As for the toolbox I have to carry to hold my mouthpiece collection...! Oh and the protec quad case I had to buy to carry just a fraction of my instruments![/quote]
Flgh: Jupiter 846RL
WX5 just because
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: c-trumpet Reply with quote

ILM wrote:
hello all , I am new here and hope all are doing well . I am looking for a lower line c-trumpet for the kids and any one that wants to play at my church can use . I play schilke cx5 but can not put that kind of money in one as a 2nd or for people to use . Just like helping folk's . Any suggestions on Chinese horns like Schiller or Wisemann ect. that might be decent .

A video I made a while back testing a portable recorder with an inexpensive Chinese C trumpet I got on eBay for $289 including shipping. The photo isn't my horn, just a generic C trumpet pic. The video ends with a bit of humor - I discovered that if you flick the bell it sounds a pretty close to in-tune C.

The one issue I had to deal with was to move the mouthpiece receiver in a bit to shorten the horn since when I got it I had to move the tuning slide all the way in to play in tune. I did the work myself - desoldered the brace and receiver, reamed out the back side of the receiver with a drill and emery paper, resoldered the brace and receiver. The valves are quick and buttery smooth. I of course have only a sample of one Chinese C to go by, I'm happy with this one after dealing with the tuning issue. Mine is silver plated, no branding anywhere on it. The same horn is advertised on eBay as Prof. New Silver Plated C Keys Trumpet Horn Monel valves With Case. Pretty sure it's the same instrument as the Wisemann and Schiller horns which are just stencilhorn pseudo-brands.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=121119&s=-1300-Schilke-C2

Right here in Market Place. ML .460 bore, #3 bell, same as C3 and C5.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SIMA C which I can sell. PM me if interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: