• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

idun blome'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: idun blome' Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVe1r4HPj7Y

this is gunhild's daughter. as well as vocals she is currently playing trombone. 'idun' (e-den) is the name of a norse goddess who is the keeper of the magic apples that the norse gods eat for immortality.
the band started with granddad hans, a famous swedish jazz and legit trumpter who passed in 2017. his wife aina plays the banjo. then their kids, gunhild, max, ulf, ulf's piano/bone/sax playing wife gerd, and the outstanding generation of extremely talented grandkids.
idun has the stuff to be the feature artist in the future so the family band will persist. there is no lack of big pipes and instrumental ability in the new generation.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunhild is unbelievable. What trumpet does she play? It looks like an Olds Ambassador.

Idun has a ways to go on the vocals. She doesn't swing........yet. That will come, especially with the tutors she has. However, she looks like she's having fun. That and being with family are the most important things.

The Carling Family Band is great!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure. in that video idun needs a lot of microphone. the thing is that she has the attitude and reminds me of a young gunhild. when gunny was a young girl you could see the fascination of performing and getting adulation in her eyes.
idun is now a young lady and is doubling with the alto sax. she has been growing into a dancer all along. a bigger voice, a lot more vaudeville dancing, and gunhild's raw sexuality, all that comes in time.
in a similar way there are videos of her brother viggo blome' singing. as a boy you get the power and purity of his tone and he too is much older now. he is reminiscent of his uncle max who at 9 or 10 played clarinet with a lot of strength.
with idun in the young miss stage she and the band cover that tune nicely and i can't find another performance that is more pleasing. so. imagine what we are in for in the future.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
She doesn't swing........yet.

But she moves well, don't you think? She's feeling it, and that must come naturally.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
She doesn't swing........yet.

But she moves well, don't you think? She's feeling it, and that must come naturally.

Totally agreed. They're all having a lot of fun and it makes for a great time and lots of smiles from people watching/listening as well.

Chuck wrote that she reminds him of a young Gunhild and I agree with that, too.

I watch those videos of Gunhild as a child playing a trombone as big as she was and it's a treat just like watching Idun now. I have the same happy reaction to watching Gunhild and the rest of the band as I have to watching Louis Armstrong videos.

Oh, and Gunhild's trumpet, it looks a lot like an Olds Ambassador but I just noticed that the second valve slide is angled forward like a Benge. What is it?
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: idun blome' Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVe1r4HPj7Y

this is gunhild's daughter. as well as vocals she is currently playing trombone. 'idun' (e-den) is the name of a norse goddess who is the keeper of the magic apples that the norse gods eat for immortality.
the band started with granddad hans, a famous swedish jazz and legit trumpter who passed in 2017. his wife aina plays the banjo. then their kids, gunhild, max, ulf, ulf's piano/bone/sax playing wife gerd, and the outstanding generation of extremely talented grandkids.
idun has the stuff to be the feature artist in the future so the family band will persist. there is no lack of big pipes and instrumental ability in the new generation.

Here´s a video of Hans Carling, known as Cooling and his traditional jazzmen; I´ve danced to this band, back in the late 50ties. Two trumpeters they had, the guy playing second much later played in my swingband early 70 ties, prior to his studies at the "High school of music".
Still later he played lead in the "Tolvan big band". A formidable lead man.
Our roads crossed again later, now he is a formidable soprano player in the brass band (as well as lead in other higher level big bands .
Perhaps "Cooling" modelled his band after the early King Oliver?
By the way, sheer coincidence, I met Hans C in person when I was about to move in at the student´s dormitory - my father was a custom´s man and had provided me with a bottle of "Florida water", after shave, nice looking bottle looking very much alike a licquor one, I entered the room, put the bottle on the table with a thud - and Hans looked at me "I´ll be damned" obviously thinking I was a heavy drinker (which I was not, never have been). And off he went - to become a lawyer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2YLH5G5UjM
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks seymour nice to see hans in an earlier incarnation. mostly we see him in the band's videos as an old gent, needing to sit while playing, having very short solos, and evidently ailing.
what i can't quite figure is the band's many multi instrumentalists. gunhild of course has gone totally berserk. max, with his reed playing and evidently a classically trained violinist. gerd, probably a jazz pianist that ulf marries and then she has to fit in and picks up sax and trombone. and so on..
the singing and dancing is totally vaudeville inspired, but.... max is a juggler, acrobat and tightrope walker, ulf is a juggler and acrobat, max's daughter nanna is somewhat of an acrobat/balancer. there is always the sense that no matter what the band does, something is being held back. the clarinet players in our bands don't tightrope walk, so whatever this stuff is about.
there is an excellent video of these crazies performing music and circus skills on youtube, something like the carling family does medieval music. gunny plays the zink, an early trumpet precursor.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More great stuff from the Carling family band. It is wonderful to see this music so alive and the family band moving into a third generation. Great entertainment, great band, what a musical family.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: