• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High School High Range

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schilkewilkie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm a 15 year High School student, and am sort of taking a survey as to the flexibility and range of other players in my age group. I know all about my home state of New Jersey (I'm in the top 5 in the state for high school trumpet players). I'd like to know the range of some other comparable high school players. My range on a Schilke 13C4 (about a Bach 7B) is double Ab, on my extra large bore Schilke X4. I can slur from Ab below low C up to double Ab. Anyone else out there with me here?

P.S. Just for giggles, my range on my jazz mouthpiece is double high D (D above high C).

"Remember something...no one controls your life but you. I learned that in Vietnam." ---my grandfather
Eric M. Parise

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I achieved success (at your age level and beyond) without ever playing over high C...junior year - principal tpt. Illinois All-State Honors Orchestra...senior year, decided to take up jazz...within the year I had become the top-rated improvisor on tpt. being placed in the All-State Honors Jazz Combo...quit playing for 5 years and then in the course of two days re-purchased my horn from the pawn shop and started work professionally on cruise ships playing in a six-piece showband...the fact is if you are creating music that expresses sensitive and unique human thought and emotion others will hear your song.
xwingband

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 14 and have made all-county but not all-state, yet. My top range is the Double C, on a Bach 3C and on both my horns (a student Bach 1530 and a 1975 Large Bore Strad; I love the Strad it's my dad's given to him by his father who died before I was born). The Double C is solid, but above the Double C the horn just dosen't want to go higher. You're not alone in your range, a junior (my section leader and gifted at trumpet, sight read one of the solos in the back of the arban's and I couldn't hear more than one mistake) can match my range, and two fellow freshmen who can play High G's.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive range. If I had a double Ab solid, with big tone and clean articulation, I'd be satisfied.

But, what exactly is that note? To me, a double anything is above double C, the second C over the staff. For starters, if you call C below the staff C1, so the first C over the staff is C3 (what I call "high C" even though it ain't orange), then G on top of the staff is G2, the D over high C is D3, and double Ab is Ab4 (over double C, C4). Is that what you can play? Wow!

As for me, while I've played an E5 (and many others on this forum have played quite higher) my performance range is about F3 or G3. Again, many (if not most, it would seem) posters to this forum can go considerably beyond that. Personally, I'd settle for great tone and technique, as I heard too many squeaky high notes played and far too few gorgeous ballads, soft hymns, and fantastic multipe-tongued passages executed flawlessly in my high school days. Most of the junk I heard came from my own horn, of course.

Later - Don
Schilkewilkie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Don...
Although range is a great tool and is extremely key to gaining freedom while playing, I'd much rather settle for great technique and tone quality. A commoner is much more pleased with a flawlessly executed solo with dynamics, articulations,etc. than someone who can live in the ionosphere. Thanks for the information...everyone here is a great help.

"Remember something...no one controls your life but you. I learned that in Vietnam." ---my grandfather
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea im a junior in high school. On a good day, like a really good day, i can play the dubba c. But on normal days im usually in the high a to b range. Yea i can usually hit the a and the b. But that c is still sooo close...yet so far away, most days.
Later

DRES
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was at WA all-state, I went up to the principal trumpet and asked her how much range she had. She goes, "about a double g consistently. "
I go, "Ha! I have a bigger range than you being a 14 year-old."
She goes, "How high can you play?"
I go, "About a high C or high D. E's on good days."
She sat there looking puzzled.
I wasn't talking about high range, but range in general. I can play pretty darn low. Like, you know pedal f? Take that down an octave. Then another octave. Then four notes. Yeah, I can play...hold on let me check...11 ledgers and a space below the treble clef. Yeah, I know, It'll get me no where in life. I just think it's a lot of fun beating our school's bass trombone in low note contests.
Maybe I'll get a sound clip on a webpage for you guys to listen to.
Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 15:30 ]
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet man you're from Jersey. You ever heard of the Bugle Corps Jersey Surf? I was thinking about joining it. By the way you guys put me to shame. I am know 16 (which I turned a couple days ago march 4) and I can only hit High E. You guys are something. Oh I'm from Maryland.

Just to make sure that we are on the same page. Allot of guys my age come up to me and tell me that they can hit double A's and C's and stuff and when it comes down to it they really can't play that high. Some people usually get squeeling a note confused with actually beign able to play a note at all times in tune powerfully or soft. Because if that was the case I could squeal double A's and B's any day of the week.

For example I have a friend (the one that marches with crossmen) Once at a parade he squealed up to a Double Bb but that doesn't mean that that is his range. He can play Double G's (the note one 8va from the high G on the top of the staff) But not all the time and its never in tune but on the other hand he can always play the High F . So therefore we consider his highest note a High F.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to stay at no higher than double G for most band stuff but if we're fooling around in the band hall I'll pull the double Bb out.
Schilkewilkie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am doing Jersey Surf playing 1st Soprano next season. I couldn't this season because I need to finish my Eagle Project and get that out of the way. I agree as far as squealing and range. True range is what you can play with every dynamic, articulation, tone quality, and intonation possible. This depends on the mouthpiece. My actual legit range on my deep cup would be double Ab. However, my range on my lead mouthpiece is double Bb strong.

dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have to get somethin straight. What are you guys calling double C? Im sorry but the fourteen year old claiming to hit double C which is six ledger lines above the staff is crap. And the highschool kid talking about sluring from aflat below low c up to douple a flat (space above 4 ledger lines above staff) is crap. Im not trying to put anyone down and im sure you guys are great players but come on.
Schilkewilkie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jkramb19-

I use this resource as a helpful pool of information, not to (pardon the pun) toot my own horn. If I say that I can slur from pedal Ab to double Ab, then it is true. I speak the truth. Don't let your own insecurities with how you play get on other people's nerves.

Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jkramb for the most part. I can play a strong F over high C at 13, but I HIGHLY doubt I will be playing a double Ab by next year! I would be happy with a Double Bb by the time I graduate from high school. Right now I am happy with my High F. But seriously, how many of you actually play a Double Ab during a concert or football game? The highest I have ever played, in a concert, was a D over high C.
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure you understand what im getting at. Theres no doubt in my mind your an excellent player and can hit an A flat but sluring from a flat below low c to double a flat without hearing anything in between is pretty hard to believe. This has nothing to do with insecurities about my own playing. Ill be the first to admit you might be better than me. I can only hit d above high c. But range doesnt make you a good player. Its like Maurice andre said "American trumpet players are to chop conscious." Sometime flip to page 125 in your arban book and try to slur the interval studies without hearing anything in between
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an awesome assistant band director (trumpet player) and he works up things to play with our stand tunes. Although he has a range only to double B he was written parts in our show (for students!!) up to double Ab and our last note in the 9min 30sec show was a slur from high E to Double G#. I have no doubt that some bands use range up in the stratosphere. (A, Ab, B) In the stands we have a song where I go up to Double Bb. Now that the seniors left, the section isn't that great. By the time next year rolls around there are 20 something players coming up so It ought to be pretty good.

Hi goldenchopps what part of texas are you from?
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking about mad range. You guys ever seen the movie " Mr. Holland's Opus". Listen to the trumpet section while they were doing the Gershwin play. Those "high school" kids where like lip trilling in the upper register like as if it was nothing. I was like darn I wish my high trumpet section was that good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got a good laugh out of that "high school" band on Mr Hollands opus- they'd be some scary players wouldn't they.

ChopsMcgraw
SchilkeB1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I agree with jkramb. I think I speaK for everyone when I say that your performance range is gonna be much lower than the highest note you've ever played. For example, I have twice in my life worked my way up scalewise to a strong clear F over double C, or, that is, two octaves above F on the top line of the staff. How high can I usually get? An E or F above high C, but not after a lot of hard practicing. How high have I actually played in a performance? E flat over high C at the end of Grand Russian Fantasia. I think I'm about ready to experiment with the E or F, though in performance.

Matt

[ This Message was edited by: SchilkeB1 on 2002-03-19 15:29 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: