• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High School High Range

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Lambardino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-04 22:25, Locke wrote:
Uh, warbird I believe I am going to have to disagree with you. I am highly capable of playing nice fat notes with great tone up to a Double D. I do not appreciate being called what you called me. I expressed my opinion in the SC forum, and then was attacked by all the big names on the forum. I typed my post before truly researching the embouchure and mechanics involved in using the SC method. I still do not agree with it, but I am not the one that is calling other people on the forum uncalled for names. How high can your freshmen trumpeter play Warbird? A better question may be, how low can he play as well?
Locke

Just observe the contradictions and the hypocracy involved in Locke's behavior. He cries about name calling but look at his own hostile name calling below. Plus his own admonishion that he spoke before really studying what SC is. While he previously contended that he knew plenty about SC.

In his own words:

"I am not hostile. I'm not afraid to not sugar coat things, and let all the brainwashed zombies rule everything."
Locke

Jeff Lambardino jlambardino@yahoo.com
Augusta, Georgia
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 15:31 ]
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That was very nicely put, Quadruple C.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-04 22:25, Locke wrote:
Uh, warbird I believe I am going to have to disagree with you. I am highly capable of playing nice fat notes with great tone up to a Double D. I do not appreciate being called what you called me. I expressed my opinion in the SC forum, and then was attacked by all the big names on the forum. I typed my post before truly researching the embouchure and mechanics involved in using the SC method. I still do not agree with it, but I am not the one that is calling other people on the forum uncalled for names. How high can your freshmen trumpeter play Warbird? A better question may be, how low can he play as well?
Locke

Our freshman is a true prodagy. He can play lower than anyone I have seen. His pedal tones have not been centered exactly so we can't get an exact tuning, but they are extremely low. As far as high goes...we dunno. We have heard him play as high as the super C (the one above 7 ledgers...however many ledgers that is). But we have not tried to max him out yet.

As far as your behavior goes, I apologize if we have attacked you, but as the old saying goes, 'treat others as you wish to be treated'. You even said previously that you were not afraid of becoming hostile with us so we took that seriously. If you push, than we will push back because there are lots of trumpet players in here that have been playing for a lot longer than us. Both of us also need to keep in mind that trumpet players have egos, lets just all admit that:). After all, why shouldn't we? The trumpet is the best instrument in the band:). Anyways...So, since we all know we have egos, we need to be careful waht we say. We also need to keep open minds to change and open minds to ideas that are contrary to popular opinion. For example, I am in a debate with someone who thinks that the Bach mo. 37 (a decent horn) is the best horn around. See how stupid that sounds? If we just can sometimes accept that we are wrong, I think it will make everything a lot smoother all over the forum. As far as I am concerned, this forum thing never happened as long as you are willing to admit that you jumped the gun a bit.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

PS This means that I would also like the rest of the people in this topic to just dismiss anything said in here and try to forget that anyone was being hostile. I think this is all for the better.
Locke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warbird,
If what you are saying is truly honest about your freshmen, then I am astounded. When I was a freshmen I was only able to play a Double G. Quad. C made me see how truly single minded I was being about the whole superchops matter. I still do not really agree with it, but I will not degrade it again. I am not saying anything bad about your freshmen Prodigy, but how are his technical skills and tone as well? How on earth did he develop his astounding range, or is it just natural? In deepest apologies,
Locke
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 15:34 ]
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His tone is excellent and his approach seems to be normal. I have this theory that there are just some people that can just physically play higher then others. I can safely say that I am by no means one of those people:). Somehow this guy can just play high. When I asked him if he practiced one time he replied with a no and told me that the few times he does practice, he practices his range...go figure. But He is a great guy; really humble, too. He can't actually play too advanced music but he does play grade 6 pretty solid.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
albanator16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Schilkewilkie,

I'm also a high school player and I've played lead in every band I've been in since sophomore year. I've never really practiced range it just kinda comes, I've had classes with some great trumpet players, Arturo Sandoval, Nicholas Payton, Terrell Stafford, Roy Hargrove, and Wynton Marsalis to name a few, and they all say the same thing, if you work on your technique enough, and just continuely adjust to playing high, then a little higher, then a little above that it'll just come.

My limitations as of last year, we played "first Circle" the big band version which has a pretty screaming trumpet part. anyways theres a point where it goes to a high F# (4th space above the staff F#) and I could hit it consistently. The song ends on a 5th space above the staff A which I could hit but not everytime.

So I suppose if you mean by consistent range you hit that A flat you have me beat and justfully so a high register like that is impressive, but again the low register is important too, and I have an octave and a half below low F#, gotta love sub tones.

I hope this gives you an idea of a few other highschool players. at least in the wisconsin area

I play on a bach 10 1/2 C mouthpiece. not your traditional lead mouthpiece but I love the huge sound I get from it

[ This Message was edited by: albanator16 on 2002-04-14 14:31 ]
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just bought a 10 1/2 C. Don't know if/when I'll use it consistently, but I was surprised to find out that it's really not that small. The comparator at Kanstul shows it quite well. The rim is more comfortable than any 7C, 5C or 3C that I was ever on. There is no undercut on the rim/bite and it is almost identical to a Schilke 10B4.
albanator16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true joe cool, very true
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCool,

If you are looking for a comfortable rim, then you may want to look at some of the Denis Wick mpc. They are extremely comfortable, and you can still get a mpc with a large bowl so you can get the huge fat sound that you would want in an orchestra.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
1935 H. N. White Co. Cornet - Denis Wick 4B
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to offer a disagreeing sentiment, but I would rcomend staying away from Wicks. They do work for some people, but they are in the extreme minority. I switched between a 4e and 1cw for a couple of years and have been much happier with the GR's. The 4e just shut off for me above an E. the 1cw was nice but too much work for the sound. The GR's gave me better sound with less work. That said, I gave my 4E to my old professor and it was perfect for him. But it seems for 99% of players they don't work as well as other pieces. Their Trombone and Euph. pieces though...

ChopsMcgraw
macleod13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, also am a high school trumpet player. I play a Bach 3f. We've been playing a lot of range demanding tunes in jazz this year. We are currently working on Tiger of San Pedro, wich has a scream part with mostly es and fs above high C. We are also playing the Kenton arrangement of Malaguena, which is just and amazing tune... that goes up to a double g... we also played kenton's alone, which goes up to a double A, and I've never missed it. I guess that's all I have to add.
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3F???? damn bud, u tryin to kill someone with that piece, whew

DRES
maynardwannabe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-22 21:55, macleod13 wrote:
I, also am a high school trumpet player. I play a Bach 3f. We've been playing a lot of range demanding tunes in jazz this year. We are currently working on Tiger of San Pedro, wich has a scream part with mostly es and fs above high C. We are also playing the Kenton arrangement of Malaguena, which is just and amazing tune... that goes up to a double g... we also played kenton's alone, which goes up to a double A, and I've never missed it. I guess that's all I have to add.

Jeez, that's humbling. In all of the jazz music I've been playing, in and out of school, I don't think I've ever had ANYTHING written above a high A. Could you check the terminology for me, please? By high A I mean A4, and when you say double A I think of A5. Am I right?
usernamehere

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "double A" he means the A above high C... space above the... 4th line.

~Benjamin Heintz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-21 03:13, ChopsMcgraw wrote:
I hate to offer a disagreeing sentiment, but I would rcomend staying away from Wicks. They do work for some people, but they are in the extreme minority. I switched between a 4e and 1cw for a couple of years and have been much happier with the GR's. The 4e just shut off for me above an E. the 1cw was nice but too much work for the sound. The GR's gave me better sound with less work. That said, I gave my 4E to my old professor and it was perfect for him. But it seems for 99% of players they don't work as well as other pieces. Their Trombone and Euph. pieces though...

ChopsMcgraw

The thing that I like about Denis Wick mpc. more than GR is that GR mpc's use technology to make the mpc moreso then many other companies. Denis Wick uses technology, but still relies heavily on a "What feels best as a player" kind of philosophy. I guess its just all you want. I just get a more natural feel on a Denis Wick. By God, I can make it sound like a trumpet rather then a new aged peice of metal.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
1935 H. N. White Co. Cornet - Denis Wick 4B
Fishy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 17, a loud E above high C. I don't count anything that I can't hurt someone's ears with. People are too obsessed with range. I would trade a couple of notes on top to be able to solo better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: