• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mystery Double Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRBTrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Mystery Double Case Reply with quote

Hi gang,

Long time lurker, first time poster (and I promise I'm not trying to get my '5 posts').

I need some help identifying this double case that I acquired recently from a friend who gave up trumpet some time ago. I have no idea what brand it is, or whether it is any good? The closest thing I can find in pictures is a Rocky Mountain case (although this is tricky to verify as not many images of these cases are out there on the net). It seems to be solidly constructed, and the hard-shell lid can detach from the fabric flap (which is shown in the last pic). What are people's thoughts?

Many thanks for providing this forum which is such a great resource of knowledge.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a triple case to me.

Sorry, but I don't recognize the brand.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfpak, maybe a knockoff?
sugarbear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this is a case from Rocky Mountain Case Works. I have a 2.5 case that I purchased direct from them many years ago and it has many of the same features that this case exhibits. If your case was a 2.5, it appears the internals have been re-configured by a previous owner. I am not aware they ever made a triple.
I'm a little fuzzy on the history but I believe Rocky Mountain was started by a person by the name of Wolfen (?) who had previously owned Wolfpak. After he sold Wolfpak, his next adventure was Rocky Mountain. Shortly after starting the company he fell very ill and the company went under. I'm not sure about the complete accuracy of this information...I picked up bits and pieces of information over the years and am not sure how accurate this is. I would be interested to find out what really happened.
CRBTrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. The owner of the case bought a Shires trumpet and believes it might have come with the Shires. A search of Shires cases doesn't show any that looks like this though.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin sold RMC to Steve Shires so it may be...
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe Rocky Mountain was started by a person by the name of Wolfen (?) who had previously owned Wolfpak.

That's Kevin Woelfel. He was my private teacher when I was in high school and he was studying trumpet at Wisconsin. Wonderful guy.
OsmunMusic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Wolfpak, maybe a knockoff?

Don, you nailed it.
Those are based off the original US made Rocky Mountain/Wolfpack style cases. Made overseas. They're actually good cases. See many of those in the shop since we're close to Shires. The one downside is they won't take the physical abuse that the originals would.
978-823-0580
Sales@osmun.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: