• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tech-Oil?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should i stick with 'tech-oil'?
Yes
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Dunno, never used it
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Just go with a brand that you know is good (al Cass, blue juice, ultra pure etc.)
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 26

Eddy01741
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Tech-Oil? Reply with quote

Ok, my old trumpet teacher (went away to Ohio for a phD in trumpet) before he left bought some new valve oil for us (we still paid 10 bucks for the 1.25oz. bottle though). It was at this semi-local store in Boston, called Rayburn Music (google it, it has a site, horrible site though). The oil was called 'tech-oil'. I dunno if i should use it our not, i just bought a new Bach Strad 180-S37 (with the help of my current trumpet teacher), and i frankly don't know what oil to use. The valves dry up more quickly (monel valves vs. my old nickel plated). Back with my old Yamaha 2335 student model, i used that new 'tech-oil' stuff on it. And it lasted for like 6 months without sticking (at the time i was in 5th grade, didn't practice much, so it wasn't that surprising that it lasted like 6 months lol. Anyways, i'm wondering if i should keep gettin this stuff for my strad, we go to boston like every week cause my sister has a piano lesson there, so i don't mind goin there to get good valve oil. This stuff ain't such a great value, cause 10 bucks per 1.25 oz. bottle is kinda on the expensive side (could get an 8oz. bottle of Blue Juice). Anyways, so, does anybody have any info on this valve oil? I googled it and there is no brand website, i found one retailer online, but it was european. So i just wanna know from those that have used it, or use it now (or know anything about it at all), if i should stick with this stuff, cause a local small music store (like 5 mins. away from home), stocks Blue Juice for like 4.00 bucks per bottle, so i can switch, and that place in boston has tons of different valve oil. Any suggestions?
Eddy01741
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tech-Oil? Reply with quote

*bump*, even if u havn't used the oil, can anybody shed some light on if i should use another oil, and if so, which one?
Dave Mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have great luck with Hetman's #1 for new valves. It is cheaper and works real well. Good Luck - Dave
Weril Cornet Lo 7535
King Master Cornet 295628
Eddy01741
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
Judson Jay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tech Oil is GREAT! I am using it on my new Bach Cleveland C.
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultra Pure, Al Cass, or just use Bach oil. No reason to use a one off on a new trumpet.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwag wrote:
Ultra Pure, Al Cass, or just use Bach oil. No reason to use a one off on a new trumpet.

I will never, ever, use Al Cass again. I just don't need my valves to seize up if I don't play the horn for a few days. Hetmans works well for me, but other oils might work just as well.

And yes, I know this thread has been resurrected after 14 years.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternate valve oils in preferred order:

Hetmans
Monster Oil (just started using a month ago, very promising, may become my #1 oil)
La Tromba

In my Selmer trumpet, the valves work great on Fat Cat valve oil. Cleaned and tried to switch to the synthetic oils. This resulted in slowed valve performance and sticking. Return to Fat Cat brought back the valve speed.

Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go with something that you have access to.
Remember to clean you valves and valve casings when switching from one oil to another.

I like the products that have a line of lubes available:

Ultra-Pure - I started using this as my household was battling cancer and we were getting rid of as much as we could in house that was toxic. (Ultra-Pure used to be labeled as non-toxic) - light-weight, regular and heavier valve oils and a line of greases as well. Long lasting and smooth - Lots of products on the web site and quickly shipping. Where I notice this works better for me than others is in Pit Orchestra settings - it doesn't seem to pick up as much of the Theater/stage dust and lasts longer.

Hetman is another line of great stuff - much like Ultra-Pure.. I just never got into Hetman, seemed harder for me to find.

Monster has the same idea, great idea and web site but, I find their oils to have a very strong industrial odor. Didn't "love" the oil or slide grease viscosity.

Blue Juice is popular and is a fast oil - some don't like the odor. Does help to keep the inside clean. Doesn't last as long as others for me.

Al Cass is fast, but evaporates quickly. You have to oil often, especially outside.

La Tromba is great but more pricey, and harder to find

Bach oil and Slide gel (the red stuff).. is pretty good - I carry these in my teaching kit. I use it on my unprepared students instruments - when they come in for a lesson and valves and slides are dry and stuck.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Tech-Oil was created and produced by a local 3M chemist.

http://www.brauninnovations.com/lubricant-oil

When I started to have valve issues with my Yamaha 6335 years ago, I thought that they might need to be replated. My local tech guru instead gave me Tech Oil and told me to just use that instead.

It's a thick synthetic and it did indeed do the trick. I had previously used Al Cass, but the valves on my Yamaha did not function essentially anymore with Al Cass. Tech Oil allowed them to go up and down reliably and I only had to reapply oil every 4-6 month.

It is a slow oil though. Before being unreliable, my Yamaha valves were exceptionally smooth and fast. Tech Oil make them smooth and not fast. If you've ever played a Tuba and know how the valves were fine but not super responsive or quick or light, we'll that's how they were with Tech Oil.

Another trumpet colleague using Tech Oil clued me into mixing it with something - I used Al Cass - to cut it a bit and add more quickness. This worked much better - fairly close to what they were before.

After having sinus issues and taking a bit of a performing sabbatical for a few years, when I started to play regularly again, I used the Benge and Radial that I had acquired. Initially, I used Al Cass as I had for years, when I went to work in a shop and spoke to the techs there, I gave Ultra-Pure a try. I also tried Yamaha, which worked even better on my Selmer - and which I still use now.

How well oils work is definitely a combination of one's saliva chemistry, the oil, and the horn. It's personal, so it's good to have multiple good options.

Over my playing and teaching career, and working in schools and a shop with lots of products, here's my thoughts:

Yamaha Synthetics are excellent. If you like Hetman but can't find it regularly, try this. I use these myself and they come in light, regular, and a heavier weight (the last called "Vintage"). I have a sensitive nose and these don't bother me, so while not labeled, I find these almost odorless. I've heard that Yamaha based these on Hetman, supposedly. They last a very long time. Last year I oiled my valves in June and then again in October. Generally, I don't do that.

Ultra Pure oils are also excellent. As said above, they were once labeled Non-Toxic. These are labeled odorless, I believe, and I agree. Yamaha works better on my old Radial, so I use that, but these work great. Also long lasting.

Hetman is also excellent. Lots of 3 weight options, lots oils and greases for slides and valves and rotors and everything. Repair techs that I know are fans of Hetman, so that should tell you something (and Yamaha FWIW).

Al Cass is fine, but evaporates quickly which can lead to issues. It's my favorite of the old school oils, because it didn't irritate my throat. Quality may not be what it was in the day. Nowadays you can do better.

Monster makes nice oils, but they seem to bother my nose and throat to some degree and I like Yamaha and Ultra Pure better, anyway. Solid choices if they work for you. Their Brass Chats are awesome.

Holton and Bach are old school (now it seem are the same formula) but they always irritated my throat and caused problems that way. They may have lubricated better than Al Cass, perhaps. There are nicer, better, choices.

5 Starr was recommended to me, but had similar odor/vapor problems for me as Holton. Might be solid as a lubricant, but not usable for me.

Getzen in a small blue bottle seemed ok, but it was decades ago.

I haven't used Roche Thomas, Lynzoil, La Tromba, or several others. At this point, I see little reason to.

Blue Juice is the worst. Supposedly the "detergent" "cleans the valves." I prefer my oil to actually make the valve go up and down - which this doesn't actually do, at least for me. The odor is noticeable. Does not play well with other oils, most people's chemistry, or most instrument's metallurgy . If someone comes into a repair shop with valve issues, I'd bet good money that there's bottle of this stuff in there - because I've seen it over and over. If you're using this, consider using something else. It does work for some, though.

Finally, back to the original topic. Tech Oil is fine. It is thick, long lasting, but not particularly fast. When I started using it a bit less than 20 years ago, it worked fine, but I've moved on to products that are faster, as long lasting, and more easy to acquire and don't need as much fussing.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t put Blue juice on my pocket knife. It’s fine to use it to clean parts like WD40 but that’s about it. Any oil is better! I personally use Hetmans 2 almost exclusively
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm having very good results with Berp Bio Oil Light on all my instruments.

https://berp.com/biooil/

I thought I'd try this, because I'm hyper-sensitive to valve oil at the best of times, and was even getting a sore throat from Yamaha Synthetic and Hetmans.

Although it stopped my sore throat as predicted, I expected a deterioration in performance with Berp Bio Oil Light, but no, I've had no sticking issues and my valves feel as fast as they did with Yamaha Synthetic light.

Although I oil too regularly to really know, I have a feeling the Berp Bio Oil light would last longer, as I'd very occasionally get a sticking valve (usually on my Yamaha Xeno trumpet), whereas I've had no sticking at all with Berp Bio Oil. Even my Bach Strad, which previously had valve problems, is behaving with Berp Bio Oil Light.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
... whereas I've had no sticking at all with Berp Bio Oil. Even my Bach Strad, which previously had valve problems, is behaving with Berp Bio Oil Light. ...

-----------
That's wonderful news about the Bach valve situation. I know it was a major disappoint.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
... whereas I've had no sticking at all with Berp Bio Oil. Even my Bach Strad, which previously had valve problems, is behaving with Berp Bio Oil Light. ...

-----------
That's wonderful news about the Bach valve situation. I know it was a major disappoint.

Jay

Hi Jay

Thanks very much. Yes, I'm very pleased that my Bach is finally behaving.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: