• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Analysis of Round Midnight - transcript chet baker version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkurt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:26 am    Post subject: Analysis of Round Midnight - transcript chet baker version Reply with quote

Help requested!
Two questions:
1) I am looking for a thorough analysis of 'Round Midnight' but I can't find any online resources - I need it for inspiration for an improvisation excercise.
2) Chet Baker did a (live) version of 'Round Midnight on the album 'Round Midnight 79 - I can't find any transcription or sheet music version of this piece.
Anyone can help with my two questions: an analysis and/or a transcription or link me towards it?
Many thanks,
Kurt
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd Kelly at Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois USA did his dissertation on and transcribed loads of Chet Baker solos. He did the Aebersold book of Baker solos. You might get in touch with him:

https://www.bradley.edu/academic/departments/mus/faculty/profile.dot?id=4ab09501-787a-4212-9cc7-3569ae13041b

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6112
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Round Midnight is going to be a difficult tune to work on as many of the "Real Book" versions are extremely unreliable. Furthermore, many musicians have altered the chords to Monk's music more to their liking. I strongly recommend really studying how Monk himself played it and grabbing his specific voicings and harmonies of his records. After that, I would listen to how other players have interpreted the song, including the famous versions by Miles, Chet, and many others - they are often quite different!

All of which is to say that to tackle Monk's music requires considerably more research than your average standard.

There are two good "fake books" that have what I've found to be pretty reliable transcriptions of Monk's own interpretations of his music. One is called "Thelonious Monk's Compositions," and the other is called "Thelonious Monk Fake Book." Comparing the two will get you a good start on the tunes you're trying to learn but you still must consult the recordings for a definitive interpretation.

Ethan Iverson writes an outstanding jazz blog called "Do The Math," and his writings on Monk are indispensable. Google search around his site for important information you can't find anywhere else, including deep ruminations on the difficulties of interpreting Monk.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: