• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is there anything missing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Is there anything missing? Reply with quote

I am on about month 3 of another comeback. hopefully a long term one.

I’ve previously posted in the mouthpieces section about my safari that went from starting on a Bach 2.5 c and have decided to play on a Monette b2s3.
My trumpet is a Yamaha 6345.

My ultimate aim is to play some small group jazz and possibly join a local big band.

My practice is limited to one hour a day on weekdays and an hour each day of the weekend. Sometimes on the weekends I can do more but it is by no means a given.

As much as I’d like to do my practice in three 20 minute sessions, on weekdays it has to be in one burst and with a practice mute (Yamaha silent practice system) as I do it in my office at work.

My current range and endurance are limited. hopefully both will build but I have never had a usable range over high c (2 ledger lines). I’d like to get to g above high c eventually. I’m have no real desire to hit doubles.

My question is this - Is there anything obviously missing from my current routine?

The routine is as follows:

1. Caruso method - I’m using the book and the program listed in the Caruso- sub forum. Staying on each lesson for at least 2 weeks. Currently doing 6 notes, 2nds, 5ths, harmonics and LSL six notes. Ultimately will be a maximum of 20 minutes for this.

2. Scale studies from the Eddie Lewis Book Total Totalisation (essentially 20 scale exercises on the major scale in various permutations)- at present at 75 bpm. 2 weeks on each key. Slurring at first but once the notes are down then for the rest of the 2 weeks varying articulations - slurring, single tongue, k tongue, slur/tongue. The aim is to go through all keys and then repeat at a faster BPM.

3. Try and learn patterns/licks/ other scales and tunes. At present working on learning some diminished licks, a -tri tone pattern out of the Richie Vitale book and learning the changes of have you met miss jones.. No set program here. I t changes from week to week. Progress is slow in this area.

If I get extra practice time on the weekends I might try and learn a solo - e.g last weekend I was working on clifford’s solo on confirmation.

Given the fact that the practice is always concentrated in one hour, fatigue is always a factor but I’m going to have to live with this.

Are there any glaring deficiencies in this schedule given my goals?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Zed on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of methods can work.
One thing I would definitely add is playing music, not just licks. At least take something that is not too hard for you and play it as musically as possible. Something every day. Make it enjoyable and musical.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Lots of methods can work.
One thing I would definitely add is playing music, not just licks. At least take something that is not too hard for you and play it as musically as possible. Something every day. Make it enjoyable and musical.

Along that line, I've had a lot of early success and fun with Jamey Aebersold backgrounds Vo. 1, 2 and 54.
http://www.jazzbooks.com/jazz/category/aeball

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are there any glaring deficiencies in this schedule given my goals?

You are playing some good material, but it seems like a lot to fit into an hour, especially for someone who is only three months into a comeback. I guess I'd be worried about the routine tearing down vice building up. Only you and your chops know the answer to that.

An easy change you might consider to your routine is to play the Eddie Lewis exercises one day, and then etudes from Getchell, Hering, etc., the other day.

Good luck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you, but when I play the Caruso Six Notes, my chops stiffen up and my embouchure is a little taxed so I rest a bit, then resume with something quiet and gentle.

If that's your case, you might need to break your practice session into two parts with a short rest in between.

Ref. your practicing, what is keeping you from a little longer a practice period than one hour?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Zed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Cgaiii - thanks - i do play along with some aebersold tracks on slower tunes every few days. I'm also planning on sitting in at a local jam in a few weeks. I've seen it before. It's pretty supportive environment. It's mostly standards with some hard bop. No super fast stuff or cymbal throwing that I've seen.

Dayton - thanks. I haven't heard of the etudes you mentioned I might check them out. It is hard to fit into an hour. I try to deal with more than 1 thing at once e.g work on articulation and scales at the same time but given the time limits I know that most of the time is really maintenance and that improvement of my jazz chops will be a slow process. It's two steps forward one step back.

Kehaulani - thanks. I'm finding that the 6 notes and Caruso in general is really helping the stability of my embouchure but you're right, Caruso can be taxing. I always take a break after it in my weekend sessions. As for why it's only an hour a day - job (lawyer), wife and two kids in school (11 and 14) and a dog. I work for the government so my hours are good but if I finish at 5 and do an hour then I'm not home until 6.30 and then I need to help with homework/dinner etc. 9.30 by the time all that is done. Mornings are chaos.

Cheers

Zed
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I don't know about you, but when I play the Caruso Six Notes, my chops stiffen up and my embouchure is a little taxed so I rest a bit, then resume with something quiet and gentle.

Same here and that is why I do them at the end of my morning practice session.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dayton - thanks. I haven't heard of the etudes you mentioned I might check them out.

These are all at the beginner to intermediate level in terms of complexity, length, range....

Robert Getchell
First Book of Practical Studies
Second Book of Practical Studies

Sigmund Hering
50 Recreational Studies
40 Etudes
38 Recreational Studies
32 Etudes
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Missing Something. Reply with quote

I am about a year in. My music teacher strongly recommends that I try to practice 2x 30 minutes rather than an hour straight in order not to over tax the chops.

For me my breathing is also “really bad” so I have also incorporated a few breathing exercises as well. Especially long tones and ensuring that I am getting a full breath and not stopping half way.
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:

I second this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: