• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Early B&S trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom pennell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Early B&S trumpet Reply with quote

On little more than a whim, I have just bought an early (pre reunification), B&S trumpet. The horn itself is an especially handsome thing, with first and third slide triggers, trombone style water keys, nickel trim etc. Think Besson 10-10 but with a slightly more open wrap. Even the M.P received looks distinctly "Bessonish". Serial number is 135xxx.
I have been unable to find any info on this, or similar GDR B&S's hence this post. Are there any TH members who have knowledge/experience of these horns?
Regards Tom
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one as well. Mine (s/n 238xxx) is a reverse leadpipe version and XL bore .470 with nickel trim and stop rods on 1st and 3rd triggered slides.
The horn plays amazingly well, but the valves needed a lot of work to get them running smoothly.
These early East German horns are great values out there in the used market and fairly rare to find in good condition.

Ozzy Cardona - NYC Freelance
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They come up pretty often on German eBay, as do their rotary relatives. I may need to check them out ...
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
tom pennell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments on the early B&S's. I knew nothing of the early horns and simply went on the reputation of the current products. Yes I know, trusting!Given that I only paid AUD$150.00 for it, I thought it worth the risk. I think I have well and truly got my moneys worth. Now to experiment with M.P's.
Regards Tom
tom pennell

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A postscript to my earlier post. Just received some info from B&S in Germany. They advised that the model is a Record 2000, dating from 1977. Any anecdotal info on this model would be gratefully received.
Regards Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: