• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece advice for beginning cornet player

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece advice for beginning cornet player Reply with quote

A couple months ago a friend gave me a beat up Besson 2-20 cornet. On a whim I got it fixed and it was so fun I started taking lessons.....then everything got shut down because of the corona virus....so no more cornet lessons for a while.

The cornet came with a mouthpiece that only says “cornet” on it with no other information. Seems to work ok but I’m curious what a beginner normally would use on a Besson 2-20

I’m actually a sax player and I must say I am thrilled that brass mouthpieces are waaaaay cheaper than sax mouthpieces and less vulnerable to quality control problems

I basically play jazz/blues on sax and will probably do the same on cornet

Any suggestions?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get a variety of suggestions. Mine is to go for a mid-sized mouthpiece, from one of the big named makers-not a knock-off.

Appreciate the difficulty in blindly suggesting something: unlike a sax (in a simplified comparison) where you're matching a mouthpiece, to a reed, to get a specific sound, expected response, etc
With the cornet, you are the reed, thus the reed you're trying to match a mouthpiece to is unlike any other reed-it is unique. What works for me and many, might work for you and might not.

Start with mid-sized, middle of the road (not too big, not to deep/shallow) practice, practice, practice.. then down the road (2 or 3 years, or more, of good growth) you may go on a bit of a mouthpiece safari to find a better match, if needed.

So... for cornet I suggest a Bach 6 (no letter) a very good mouthpiece for cornet. A good size, with a popular shaped rim, and nice depth for cornet.
There are others: Curry 5 or 7 DC., Pickett 7C or BC., Yamaha 14C4..

I'm not familiar with the particular model you have - but there is a chance that the shank size (the portion of the mouthpiece that sets into the instrument) is not standard - before buying blindly, this might be something to determine.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it seems OK. And you were taking lessons. And your teacher didn't have you switch.
Then forget about what others typically use.

You have no idea what a can of worms you could be opening by even thinking about using a different mouthpiece.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's working don't try to "fix" it. Renold Schilke used to say he'd rather teach someone to play correctly on their current mouthpiece than sell them a new one.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it seems to 'fit your face' and doesn't cause lip injury or pain, then don't worry about it.
For brass, the mouthpiece is the 'connector' between you and the instrument.

Also, it's very important to realize that playing is a learned skill, and when done correctly does not require excessive force or facial contortions.
Your lips should be providing a durable cushion for the mouthpiece. The lips shouldn't be stretched thin like a rubber band, and shouldn't be smashed flat by high mouthpiece pressure.
Brass playing 'works' by having the lips flexible enough to vibrate from the air you blow thru them. It doesn't work if the lips are prevented from being able to vibrate.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody

I am fully aware of the perils of picking a mouthpiece blindly like this. I've had pretty good luck in the past getting a popular "standard" mouthpiece on sax. My assumptions when picking something generic is (1) if others like it, maybe I will too (2) At least I'll have a basis for comparison when I hear people discussing mouthpiece types (especially since I don't have any information on my umarked mouthpiece) and (3) If I don't like it I can always sell it

Also since a cornet mouthpiece doesn't cost too much (unlike a $400-$500 sax mouthpiece ) I'm not risking much cash. It costs about the same as a lesson or two --and I'll be learning from the experience

Having said that, I'm reasonably happy with this "mystery" mouthpiece....I mostly want to try a different one because I have no idea what type of mouthpiece it is and would like to be able to compare to something known.

Thanks again
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerrr wrote:

Having said that, I'm reasonably happy with this "mystery" mouthpiece....I mostly want to try a different one because I have no idea what type of mouthpiece it is and would like to be able to compare to something known.

Thanks again

The longer you can go before playing with mouthpieces the happier (and wealthier ) you'll be. Take advantage of the time now to expand your playing and when you can take lessons again, talk to that teacher. In-person, other people's ears are super valuable when it comes to decisions like mouthpieces and horns.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give your teacher a call. He/she knows what your current piece is and may have a good idea of which direction you should go, if at all.
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher didn’t know anything about the mouthpiece either. It doesn’t have anything stamped on it except the word “cornet”

The only reason to get a new mouthpiece is curiosity and to fight the boredom of being stuck in the house during the pandemic
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
Rogerrr wrote:

Thanks again

The longer you can go before playing with mouthpieces the happier (and wealthier ) you'll be. ...

Yup.
Once you start, I'll bet you can't stop.

It's only the last few months that I've resisted the urge to try something different from what I currently own. I've been slowly selling off the ones I know I'll never use again, and I still have many more sitting on my shelf that I might use.

I think it all started for me when Ralph (was that the guy's name? He always wore a suit and tie) at Giardinellis on 46th St convinced me to try one of their new mouthpieces that he swore were fabulous. I bought several over a few months and they never worked for me. I sold them all about 20 ago years on consignment at a local San Diego music store.

I still have some Stork, Karl Hammond, GR, Curry, and others that I know I'll never use. I'm keeping some Callets, GR, Reeves, Stork that I use in different situations.

Rogerr, don't start.
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can always limit my mouthpiece adventures to saxophones...at least that's a world I understand
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about cornet mouthpieces, but people who hang around the cornet forum do. Consider redirecting the question there. Might get some more general suggestions.
Peck Time

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a saxophone/ clarinet player who plays cornet and flugel, I believe a different mouthpiece MAY help a lot. Let me explain...

Sax players have very relaxed embouchures as a rule. This means that the smaller diameter 7C type mouthpieces included with cornets and trumpets can hinder our progress.

Try a 3C or similar diameter and report back!
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just measured my cup diameter and it looks like 17mm....

Not sure how accurate it is— just put a ruler on the mouthpiece and looked at it through a magnifier
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s really 17 mm, congratulations, you just joined a select group of symphonic top players.
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great instrument- I can only play one song and I’m already at the top? Wow

The curve along the rim is probably causing my measurement to be off....maybe 16.5 is closer

Sure would be easier if my repair shop wasn’t shut down and I could just show this to the owner and try a variety of mouthpieces
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerrr wrote:
... and try a variety of mouthpieces

-----------------------------------
That's the way to disappointment and frustration!

It seems your mouthpiece is the usual size that works for many people - not too big, not too small, and doesn't cause pain or injury.

And DO keep the mouthpiece clean! I use a q-tip on the inside after every playing, and also wipe the exterior with a cloth. If the inside is really bad (rough looking, lumpy, ...) you could try using a bamboo skewer as a scraper, or even a small gun bore brush (e.g. .177 size). Don't use any iron or steel tools, they can scratch the brass.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what’s the difference between long and short shank ?

Different size shanks for different horns? Or just another option to complicate choosing a mouthpiece?

My mouthpiece is about 63mm long
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerrr wrote:
What a great instrument- I can only play one song and I’m already at the top? Wow

The curve along the rim is probably causing my measurement to be off....maybe 16.5 is closer

Sure would be easier if my repair shop wasn’t shut down and I could just show this to the owner and try a variety of mouthpieces

It's generally held that the size of the mouthpiece is measured at some particular depth from the high point of the rim. This makes it just about impossible to do with a ruler. That and the fact that there's no consensus on how deep into the piece to take the measurement.

My advice would be to stick with your current piece. If you're really motivated to try something else I'd take your current piece and find a standard line Yamaha piece that's similar in overall size. This assume that your cornet isn't so old that it requires a length/taper that modern pieces don't fit.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks— not surprised a ruler won’t easily give the right measurement.

I was thinking of getting whatever Yamaha mouthpiece seems reasonable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: