• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teacher or self-taught

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on my second teacher in two years.

I cannot find one that has enough _alls to TELL me what to do and/or how to do it.

While I "like" both teachers, I'm looking for something more than a "friend" and/or a cheap psychologist for 30-40/hr!

So if I drop another teacher and cannot find a replacement, is there ANY book out there that can help me "self-teach" myself?

In other words...
Arbans is the greatest book, but there isn't enough help to explain each section and/or trouble shooting tips if I'm having any specific concerns.
(_uIII_o__) |
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 07:13 ]
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that the role of a good teacher is to become obsolete.

I too had a less than assertive teacher in college. For years I went through the motions with him and finally stopped taking lessons when my degree program said I could. So, in a way, I am sort of self taught. Now, through hindsight, I am still learning from that guy from college--but this is part of the problem.

I've been playing catch-up for the past 15 years. Simply because I didn't have someone who would kick my ass whenever I needed it--and I sure did need it. I've met some teachers since then who know how to say "that sucks", and I keep going back to them. Nothing motivates like a good "that sucked" comment.

So, find a good teacher who can tell you like it is. If you're serious, then it might mean moving far away. But never underestimate the power of a good swift kick in the pants.

JC.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:49 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the final analysis everyone is self-taught. Even if you have a teacher, you are probably alone with your horn for 30-50 hours for every hour you are with the teacher!

A great teacher is one of the most useful aides...second only to a great collection of recorded trumpet playing that has been listened to to the point of total immersion. Listening and a CD collection is far more important than any book or method could ever be.

Lots of people become good players through tons of listening and imitation and hours and hours in the practice room. However, in your area there are tons of good teachers...especially if you don't mind driving to Kalamazoo, E. Lansing, or Ann Arbor!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-02-27 18:15 ]
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill

so... do you have any recommendations?
send me an e-mail if you want to keep it private and/or feel free to give my address to anyone you think would be good for me!!!

sean007@megsinet.net
(_uIII_o__) |
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my opportunity to suck-up to my trumpet teacher, whoever he is on here.

I think trumpet teachers are the greatest people on the face of the earth and I think everyone should take lesson from:).

But seriously, I do think that the Arbans book is great, but it is even better to have a teacher that can elaborate on the book. Your teacher can teach you many things that the book and toher books can't. One thing that my teacher keeps trying to engrave into my mind is that I should not be so worried about be as much a band member as a trumpet player and it is obviously working out because I went from the lowest band in the school to second to the highest chair in the school in the highest band and I credit this to the teachings of my trumpet teacher.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

PS. My trumpet teacher also have a case that holds four trumpets and all of the spots are filled and thats always neat to look at his "guns".

PPS. I still need help find the date of a serial number on a H.N. White Co. Cornet made in Cleveland, OH, #30279.

[ This Message was edited by: Warbird on 2002-02-28 18:41 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with PH 100%. I know I still have much to learn, but I've improved the most by practicing hard and not letting myself make mistakes without going back to fix them. By mistakes I mean anything as small as air to start an attack or a slightly uncentered note. Being very picky with how you want to sound is the most important thing a teacher can teach you I think. Obviously a teacher will know more about your problems and be able to help you fix them, but his/her main role should be helping you become your own teacher. That's how I've always thought about it. I can remember last year (my first year of college) going into my trumpet prof and begging for him to help me get rid of some problem plaguing me since my last lesson. This year I am much more equipped to fix these temporary set backs myself because of what he has taught me thus far. I like being able to do that a lot more than having to go into him and asking a million questions. Just my thoughts.

Matt Cyr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:49 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a partial list of great teachers in your general area. These are just my friends. I'm sure there are more.

E. Lansing-Rich Illman (MSU)
Portage-Rick Holland (great jazz player/teacher)
Kalamazoo-Steven Jones (legit), Scott Thornburg (legit), Scott Cowan (jazz)
Rich Fanning (Detroit area) and Dave Tippett in Toledo are very knowledgable Adam students.

I don't know who is teaching in Ann Arbor, but they always have good people on that faculty.

Good luck!
miamichamberbrass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Balnce Reply with quote

Get lessons from many great players. Try their concepts and see if they work for you. It’s both teacher and self taught at the end of the day.
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach in Naperville , about an hour from you. Maybe visit once a month or every other week. I don't sugar coat anything. $25 per 1/2 hour. Ask for a lesson with Rob at Ellman's Music (630-355-5880). Look forward to helping you out.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyson wrote:
I teach in Naperville , about an hour from you. Maybe visit once a month or every other week. I don't sugar coat anything. $25 per 1/2 hour. Ask for a lesson with Rob at Ellman's Music (630-355-5880). Look forward to helping you out.

Did you notice the date of the OP?

Brad
BRM2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH hit a home run with this comment:

"A great teacher is one of the most useful aides...second only to a great collection of recorded trumpet playing that has been listened to to the point of total immersion. Listening and a CD collection is far more important than any book or method could ever be. "

I joined the Army Band when I was 18. I took lessons when I could. I bought a library worth of books and a sink full of mouthpieces. After retiring after 23 years, I realized there were only a few concepts I got from a few books. There were a few concepts from teachers. I also wasted too much money on mouthpieces.

I have 2 teachers now. One for improv and one for trumpet. I work on a few key playing concepts from the trumpet teacher. I also spent a boat load of time listening to recordings of singers and learning tunes by ear. This has done more to improve my ability to play musically and not feel like I have to practice everything in order to get better. They have given me permission to not worry about several things and focus on a few key elements that have helped improve my playing. I use a few exercises out of one or two books and spend the rest of the time learning melodies and improving my ear. I have never been happier with practicing.
Marcinkiewicz E13 C. FINDLEY
Lotus 2M (Bronze)
GR 67MS
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warbird wrote:

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

PPS. I still need help find the date of a serial number on a H.N. White Co. Cornet made in Cleveland, OH, #30279.

Joseph have you ever looked here?
http://www.hnwhite.com/Serial%20Numbers.htm
1910-15
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be honest with you, most teachers are not going to really really care about how well you do, unless you demonstrate some serious talent that catches their attention. Most teachers do not believe that you will become one of the great trumpet players in the world. They are nice people that want you to do well, enjoy playing, and have a good time in lessons. They will be satisfied if you show gradual improvement and are in general happy with "pretty good." That is just the reality of the world we live in especially in western countries.
When I was getting my masters, I was surrounded by graduate students from Asia that were used to teachers being way way more strict and demanding. It was a completely different style of teaching and culture. Us Americans are used to teachers saying good job even if it wasn't that good.
Bottom line, you need to believe in yourself and push yourself harder than any teacher will. I never had a very tough trumpet teacher. Sometimes I wish I did, but at the same time, if they were too tough in my formative years who knows, I may have quit!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
When I was getting my masters, I was surrounded by graduate students from Asia that were used to teachers being way way more strict and demanding. It was a completely different style of teaching and culture.

You got that right. My first sax teacher was Sadao Watanabe. Most of what I remember from his teaching was his gradually upping the tempo on an exercise until I was making a bunch of mistakes, he, all the while yelling at me, "You're f***ing up, you're f***ing up". LOL.

I sure made certain that the next lesson was as good as I could make it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Let me be honest with you, most teachers are not going to really really care about how well you do, unless you demonstrate some serious talent that catches their attention. Most teachers do not believe that you will become one of the great trumpet players in the world. They are nice people that want you to do well, enjoy playing, and have a good time in lessons. They will be satisfied if you show gradual improvement and are in general happy with "pretty good." That is just the reality of the world we live in especially in western countries.
When I was getting my masters, I was surrounded by graduate students from Asia that were used to teachers being way way more strict and demanding. It was a completely different style of teaching and culture. Us Americans are used to teachers saying good job even if it wasn't that good.
Bottom line, you need to believe in yourself and push yourself harder than any teacher will. I never had a very tough trumpet teacher. Sometimes I wish I did, but at the same time, if they were too tough in my formative years who knows, I may have quit!

Well.....🤔.....

I agree that other cultures take a much tougher approach to learning, but “most teachers” would mean at least 51%, and I’m not sure that’s accurate.

I do think that today’s culture of leniency in many areas has caused many teachers to decide to “not fight the system” and they have become too relaxed in their pedagogy, I’m just not sure that those are the majority.

That being said, I took private lessons during college with a guy who personified the tough, demanding instructor, and because he pushed so hard, I made a LOT of progress. Unfortunately that approach today might not fly as well, especially if it was in a public school system.

Brad
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:

Well.....🤔.....

I agree that other cultures take a much tougher approach to learning, but “most teachers” would mean at least 51%, and I’m not sure that’s accurate.

I do think that today’s culture of leniency in many areas has caused many teachers to decide to “not fight the system” and they have become too relaxed in their pedagogy, I’m just not sure that those are the majority.

That being said, I took private lessons during college with a guy who personified the tough, demanding instructor, and because he pushed so hard, I made a LOT of progress. Unfortunately that approach today might not fly as well, especially if it was in a public school system.

Brad
I would definitely say that most teachers are not as demanding as they should be IF the goal is to create the absolute best trumpet players they can regardless of numbers and without a care to scaring away the pupils that don't have what it takes. That is not the goal of most teachers (myself included if I'm being honest). Private teachers want many students so they can make money, band directors don't want to scare kids out of their program and upset parents, and college programs need to work with what they get and keep the enrollment up. Only at the very top conservatories is the goal to make or break a student. This is not calling teachers bad, it's just a reality. What that means is the toughness kind of has to come from yourself- and just keep going, don't quit, and don't blame your teacher!
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Teacher or self taught Reply with quote

I was fortunate that two of the three teachers I had were not just good but great players and while they never yelled at me I got very direct advice at each and every lesson. I believe if you could find a teacher within driving distance that is either a great college instructor or top level player just teaching a little you would be better off if you only drove for one lesson a month. After a year I dropped out of college but went back to summer school two years later and my teacher found out that I was registered and called me to say he was going to be in town all summer and he wanted to give me two or three lessons. You will get structure, methods of organizing practice time, etc. I hear that Uan Rasey was self taught when young and he was wonderful. But for me I would look for a teacher. I believe in them and that certainly is just MHO, Good Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: