• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Orchestral Trumpet Parts Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krumcake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Orchestral Trumpet Parts Database Reply with quote

Hello good people!

I have begun to compile a quick-reference database of orchestral trumpet parts (including some ballet and opera works). This project comes as a follow up to a previous TH thread I started a few weeks ago. https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153136

This is the link to the Google Sheets database:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1chDJaqAA5vbpamY-Qy2N9wDfQ8mE16zA2RP7fyVFmBQ/edit?usp=sharing

It is sortable by composer, transposition, year completed, etc. Simply right click at the top of any column and select "Sort sheet A->Z"

My primary reasons for compiling this database:
- sight reading practice
- transposition practice
- playing along with recordings
- having fun exploring standard and more obscure repertoire

This is a work in progress. I still need to add the works of many more composers (Wagner, Dvorak, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, to name a few). One of the weaknesses is the inaccessibility of works outside of the public domain. I have decided to include the information of many works that are not on IMSLP simply for the sake of reference.

If you see mistakes or opportunities for improvement/development, please chime in! I am also open to collaboration if you have the ideas or skills to take it to the next level.

I have no idea if this will be helpful to anyone, but I'm going to have fun exploring the options, pulling up a part, finding a recording, cranking the stereo, and making music.

Peace!
Raya2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite the project! I think this is going to be very useful for a lot of students and players who want to practice their parts ahead of time in the season.

Thanks for putting all this work and sharing it with the TH community!

Cheers
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GOOD thing of this list is that it can be a prompt for some transposition practice when the part is not yet available due to it being a hire only set, etc. So while this is an interesting project, I am not convinced it really addresses the core issue, which is ability to transpose.

That skill doesn't require orchestral parts, it needs practice. Anyone can do a google search and find a link to parts for a specific piece (or not in the case of those not in the public domain) and get to learning the part properly. The skill of being able to transpose is then moot, as you LEARN the part.

So you are talking about two things, transposition and learning repertoire.

If it's repertoire, then Dr Google is your friend. If it's transposition, then get out an etude book and start to transpose. Slow, boring and tedious as it is, you develop the skill to the point that the orchestral parts play themselves, apart from those gnarley licks. When I was studying, there was never an excerpt of or part given to me to work on due to the need to transpose. That skill was etudes, doing them again on a different horn, or when sight reading duets...

cheers

Andy
Mike Lockman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding, thank you
Krumcake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Yes, Andy, we are in agreement that this is definitely not the most efficient method for practicing transposition or sight-reading. We are much better off grinding through etudes or transposition books.

It was the unique combination of the reasons I listed in the top post that motivated me for this project. Well, that and any other positive use we can find from it.

For example, I'm trying to plan how I could use this as a practice/assignment tool for intermediate+ students. I might start to add a YouTube link to a respectable and well-balance recording for the easier pieces. That way, the student just clicks on the part, clicks on the recording, and starts playing.

Anyways, I hope this inspires some fun practice sessions for some of you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: