• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kennedy Center Gets Bailout Monday. Musicians 2B laid off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Kennedy Center Gets Bailout Monday. Musicians 2B laid off Reply with quote

This is NOT good news for the musicians of the National Symphony Orchestra in Washington, DC.
https://freebeacon.com/issues/kennedy-center-tells-musicians-will-stop-paying-them-hours-after-25-million-bailout-signed/
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kennedy Center Gets Bailout Monday. Musicians 2B laid of Reply with quote

alexwill wrote:
This is NOT good news for the musicians of the National Symphony Orchestra in Washington, DC.
https://freebeacon.com/issues/kennedy-center-tells-musicians-will-stop-paying-them-hours-after-25-million-bailout-signed/

A friend equated this to "selling all of the paintings to keep the art gallery open". WTF, Deborah Rutter?! An unconscionable decision by the Kennedy Center, especially in light of other orchestras going out of their way to keep the ship afloat in this crisis.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts:

1. This is going to be a rocky time because a lot of people are going to lose their shirts and the nature of depression-type economic interventions is that bailouts usually also give money to folk who don't deserve it (not intentionally, sort of the nature of the beast)
2. Kennedy Center is apparently different from other centers in its structure and operation. It sounds like it's almost treated like a presidential museum? See this recent article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/27/why-kennedy-center-got-money-bailout-bill/
3. That said, I'm sure the musicians are still getting a raw deal. This is a horrible time for employer/employee relations. We're all in for a rocky ride.

Anticipating that this will move deeper towards politics and probably get locked.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utterly infuriating.

So many high-profile arts organizations are taking the money, paying their executives, and throwing all the musicians and artists over the side.

This ought to have been illegal for any company accepting a public bailout: take the money and you shouldn't be able to fire your employees.

This makes me sick. These arts organizations have been taken over and managed by a bunch of utterly shameless and incompetent grifters and I hope one day they pay the price.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot say I am surprised. I'll stop there.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: