• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NY Phil Finds Way to Pay Musicians Rather than Layoffs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: NY Phil Finds Way to Pay Musicians Rather than Layoffs Reply with quote

The news is much better than the headline implies!! The NY Times article may be blocked but here are the two most important sentences """""The (New York) Philharmonic said the salaries of 106-unionized orchestra players will be cut to minimum scale for April and 75% of minimum scale through May. Health benefits will be continued through the current contract’s expiration on Sept. 20.""""""Some good news for the double reeds and all other musicians of the New York Philharmonic.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/arts/music/new-york-philharmonic-coronavirus.html
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, it looks like the Met Opera has fired their orchestra, chorus, and union crew members unilaterally. And then they have the nerve to email me asking for a donation! Boy did I send them a furious note. The gall.

Seriously, the people that run these large arts organizations just have no shame any more. Read the room, people.

As others have observed, the correct way to go about this is to announce to your donor base that you want to find a way to continue paying everyone, and it will cost X, so please help. Not "we fired everyone and need a few million to tide us over until next season."

I just can't. Good luck to all the musicians out there.
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Meanwhile, it looks like the Met Opera has fired their orchestra, chorus, and union crew members unilaterally. And then they have the nerve to email me asking for a donation! Boy did I send them a furious note. The gall.

Seriously, the people that run these large arts organizations just have no shame any more. Read the room, people.

As others have observed, the correct way to go about this is to announce to your donor base that you want to find a way to continue paying everyone, and it will cost X, so please help. Not "we fired everyone and need a few million to tide us over until next season."

https://slippedisc.com/2020/03/peter-gelb-requests-an-urgent-gift/

Is this the letter you are referring too?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
Turkle wrote:

I have no problem with the letter.

If arts organizations continue to pay employees beyond the contractual obligations of the organization with no revenue coming in and no definitive end to the bleeding in sight does anyone really think that's a good business decision when the organization has essentially been forced to go into survival mode?

If the organization still has fixed expenses during the shutdown which it has to pay in order to survive who is there to provide that revenue other than depleting cash balances, loans and donors?

There is something suddenly wrong with an arts organization soliciting donations, particularly considering the current crisis? It's suddenly a bad thing? They're "greedy" because they're trying to survive?

Personally, having raised money for many arts organizations (a truly thankless job) I'm amazed that any of the major arts organizations can raise the enormous amounts of money necessary to fund their budgets even excluding executive compensation.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
Turkle wrote:

That's the one. Completely tone deaf. Infuriating. "We threw all our artists under the bus. Please give us money." How about no.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
mhenrikse wrote:
Turkle wrote:

That's the one. Completely tone deaf. Infuriating. "We threw all our artists under the bus. Please give us money." How about no.

Would you rather the organization pay what they don't owe, go bankrupt, close permanently and, thus, deprive the musicians of any and all future employment?

Don't think that's a possibility? Think again. There are no guarantees that any arts organization will last forever or be resurrected after it fails financially. There is no such thing (and there will never be such a thing) as an arts organization too large to fail.

It's very easy to spend other people's money and criticize business decisions when you aren't privy to the whole picture.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be my last post on this topic. Suffice it to say that many other arts organizations have chosen not to immediately fire all the artists that make the actual, you know, art. That the Met did so, immediately before a tone-deaf fundraising email, is an affront to basic decency.

And to your point, that it is easy to "spend other people's money," I would like to make two things very clear:

1) This is explicitly a FUNDRAISING EMAIL. That is, they are asking to "SPEND MY MONEY." I am not presuming to make their business decisions for them, but if they want MY MONEY after firing the artists, they can get bent.

2) I can't believe that this needs to be said, in a forum of artists, but arts organizations are not closely-held private businesses subject to the whims of their owners. As non-profit companies, they are answerable to their broader constituencies of their employees, artists, and the communities they exist in and enrich, and that depend on them. Presumably, as someone who appears to have worked as a fundraiser in this environment, you understand that.

Yes, arts organizations should be mercilessly condemned for treating their rosters of, you know, artists, with such callous contempt. And their special status as nonprofits, and their reputations within the community as deserving of lavish gifts from the wealthy and small patrons like myself, reflect that responsibility to the artistic community and the public. Crises happen, and if they so catastrophically mismanage their endowments as to necessitate firing all their artists when one does happen, then they are prima facie guilty of dereliction of duty.

Have a good day.
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
mhenrikse wrote:
Turkle wrote:

I have no problem with the letter.

If arts organizations continue to pay employees beyond the contractual obligations of the organization with no revenue coming in and no definitive end to the bleeding in sight does anyone really think that's a good business decision when the organization has essentially been forced to go into survival mode?

If the organization still has fixed expenses during the shutdown which it has to pay in order to survive who is there to provide that revenue other than depleting cash balances, loans and donors?

There is something suddenly wrong with an arts organization soliciting donations, particularly considering the current crisis? It's suddenly a bad thing? They're "greedy" because they're trying to survive?

Personally, having raised money for many arts organizations (a truly thankless job) I'm amazed that any of the major arts organizations can raise the enormous amounts of money necessary to fund their budgets even excluding executive compensation.

No, nothing wrong with fund raising. But I believe that the point being made is this. That during the present crisis, when employees are not even being paid, asking for money for next year without referencing that situation is odd and maybe unkind. In fact, if the strategy of fundraising included keeping the employees going financially, that might get some generous donors to dig a little deeper, if they can. I believe it would.
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
In fact, if the strategy of fundraising included keeping the employees going financially, that might get some generous donors to dig a little deeper, if they can. I believe it would.

Agreed.

GEMS and Early Music America are coordinating donation-funded grants to help needy musicians.

https://gemsny.org/66-articles-of-interest/669-gems-relief-fund

I'm very pleased to see this.
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Meanwhile, it looks like the Met Opera has fired their orchestra, chorus, and union crew members unilaterally. .

Did they fire the employees, or lay them off? There is a big difference.

Turkle wrote:
Not "we fired everyone and need a few million to tide us over until next season."

Despite the quotation marks, I don't think they said that. YOU said it, in a provocative way to make them look bad. If you want to quote, you should use their actual words.

Turkle wrote:
That is, they are asking to "SPEND MY MONEY."

The are asking you to donate money. You are free to donate or not. If you donate, they are not spending your money, they are spending their money. The way you describe the situation is not accurate, either legally or ethically.

Hup
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said!

Turkle wrote:
This will be my last post on this topic. Suffice it to say that many other arts organizations have chosen not to immediately fire all the artists that make the actual, you know, art. That the Met did so, immediately before a tone-deaf fundraising email, is an affront to basic decency.

And to your point, that it is easy to "spend other people's money," I would like to make two things very clear:

1) This is explicitly a FUNDRAISING EMAIL. That is, they are asking to "SPEND MY MONEY." I am not presuming to make their business decisions for them, but if they want MY MONEY after firing the artists, they can get bent.

2) I can't believe that this needs to be said, in a forum of artists, but arts organizations are not closely-held private businesses subject to the whims of their owners. As non-profit companies, they are answerable to their broader constituencies of their employees, artists, and the communities they exist in and enrich, and that depend on them. Presumably, as someone who appears to have worked as a fundraiser in this environment, you understand that.

Yes, arts organizations should be mercilessly condemned for treating their rosters of, you know, artists, with such callous contempt. And their special status as nonprofits, and their reputations within the community as deserving of lavish gifts from the wealthy and small patrons like myself, reflect that responsibility to the artistic community and the public. Crises happen, and if they so catastrophically mismanage their endowments as to necessitate firing all their artists when one does happen, then they are prima facie guilty of dereliction of duty.

Have a good day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: