• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Microphones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bubbles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Microphones Reply with quote

I'm looking for an inexpensive mic that I can doodle around with and mess around in ProTools etc. The one that's caught my eye is the Blue Yeti but I'll gladly take suggestions!!
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to just get a USB mic that is cool. I have a blue snowball mic that I use sometimes to just record on a whim.
But if you want to do any more serious recording, you should get an audio interface if you don't have one, and then look at mics. Even a Shure SM57 would be cool to record with, it's cheap and durable, also works well in live situations if you ever need to provide a microphone.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Microphones Reply with quote

Mr. Bubbles wrote:
I'm looking for an inexpensive mic that I can doodle around with and mess around in ProTools etc. The one that's caught my eye is the Blue Yeti but I'll gladly take suggestions!!

Which version of PT do you have; do you have an audio interface (how are you planning to get your sound into PT); what's your budget?

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Mr. Bubbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Microphones Reply with quote

I don't have PT yet I need to get that too and my budget is about $200 but I'd prefer to stay as inexpensive as possible because I have a LOT of things I'm going to need to buy in the next year since I'm going to be a performance major and I think I've outgrown the rim size I'm playing on.
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I had my recording studio I always dug ribbon mics on trumpet (and saxes)
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51recording wrote:
Back when I had my recording studio I always dug ribbon mics on trumpet (and saxes)

Yeah, ribbons are sweet. I had several of them in my studio. The only issue with a ribbon is finding a mic pre with enough gain to drive it effectively!

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Microphones Reply with quote

Mr. Bubbles wrote:
I don't have PT yet I need to get that too and my budget is about $200 but I'd prefer to stay as inexpensive as possible because I have a LOT of things I'm going to need to buy in the next year since I'm going to be a performance major and I think I've outgrown the rim size I'm playing on.

For recording stuff...

Keep in mind Avid went to a subscription based platform, which I hate.

I stopped doing upgrades at PT10 so that's what I still use. A lot of people think PT8 is still one of the best versions to get but you'll have to use Digidesign's hardware for that (can still find old hardware on eBay for cheap). With PT9 they untethered the software from the hardware so that version would be great to start with if you can find it.

As far as microphones, a Shure SM57 is all you'll ever *need*, and you can find them for really cheap. Microphones are deep, DEEP rabbit hole so if you choose to go down the path leading to that rabbit hole... well, you've been warned.

For trumpet stuff...

I'm coming back after injury and a 12-year layoff so I can't really say I'm a pro anymore, so it'd be best to ask someone else who's in the know!

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: