• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach--small letters?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Bach--small letters? Reply with quote

Today I was browsing a site that listed several players and what mouthpieces they play.

"Bach 1 1/2 C (stock)(small letters)"

That was what was listed for Michael Sachs. What does the "small letters" refer to?

As a broader question, do orchestral players that play Bach generally play stock Bach mouthpieces, or altered or mt Vernon?

Just curious...thanks!
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Bach mouthpieces Reply with quote

Recently I have been helping the daughter of a dear friend trumpet player who passed away a year ago. He had a vast amount of trumpets (26) and mouthpieces (500) which I have been listing on the TH Marketplace to place them in the hands of trumpet players who could use them. In this collection were many Bach mouthpieces from NYC, Mt Vernon, Vincent Bach Corp., Vincent Bach Corp, Vincent Bach and BACH. Is there a difference? Absolutely!

NYC and Mt Vernon were definitely (to me) larger than the later pieces with the same numbers. I understand the Bach company underwent some changes over the years and perhaps the "original" sizes were varied, which doesn't mean they aren't good mouthpieces, just a little different.

Try them and judge for yourself if they are right for you like most everything pertaining to trumpet playing.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
EllisBand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Mt Vernon 3 Reply with quote

Hi there,

Trying to figure out the value of a Bach Mt Vernon 3 trumpet Mouthpiece I have? I know it’s rare....not sure about the market atm?

Cheers.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older Bach mouthpieces were labeled with small letters and numbers. At some point (maybe the 1990s ?), Bach changed to a larger font. Today, they are small again, so “small letter” by itself isn’t a good indicator of the era the mouthpiece was made. There’s also New York, Mt. Vernon, Corp, the size of the period after Corp, the way fractions are stamped, etc. that determines the age and desirability of a Bach mouthpiece.
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt Vernon 3 Reply with quote

EllisBand wrote:
Hi there,

Trying to figure out the value of a Bach Mt Vernon 3 trumpet Mouthpiece I have? I know it’s rare....not sure about the market atm?

Cheers.

Simple way to check what they're actually selling for, go to eBay.com, Adv. Search and then search for completed auctions. There is quite a range of values for Mt Vernon 1 and 3 mouthpieces...

Even recently, I've seen "fake" Mt. Vernon mouthpieces being produced in China, and being sold on eBay... They look too good for the age of MtV mouthpieces from before ~1965...

Hope that helps -
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mt Vernon 3 Reply with quote

EllisBand wrote:
Hi there,

Cheers.

If it's in good condition and a size people like: 3c, 1.5c, 1.25c, 1c you can generally fetch around $400+. For non-standard sizes much less but still more than a regular used mouthpiece.

FOR THE OP:
Small letters refer to the size of the letters. Like Tony Scodwell mentioned there are many eras. Bach loyalist is a great place to see that: https://www.bachloyalist.com/mouthpiece/mouthpieces_variations.htm

In general, orchestral players play altered versions on their C trumpet. Usually around a 24 throat and usually a symphonic (24) backbore. Rarely will you see stock mouthpieces on C trumpets. Michael Sachs, for example, play/ed a 1.5c with a 23 throat and 117 backbore (not stock for c trumpet but he did play stock for Bb). The Mt. Vernon mpcs are popular but they are crazy expensive so many don't seek them out exclusively.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The letter size can give you a rough idea of the time frame they were made, but it a better idea to look at older Bach mouthpieces as individuals. With all the good custom mouthpiece makers out there it’s not too difficult to get exactly what you want. The font changes did not signify a design change. It’s just a clue as to the time frame when it was made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: