• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Identifying a flugel played by Jason Carder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Identifying a flugel played by Jason Carder Reply with quote

Hello,

I was reading this 2013 post again and I watched this great video featuring Jason Carder on his flugelhorn.

Link

I enjoyed his sound so much that now I'd like to find out what flugelhorn he was playing in this video. I think it's a Bach flugelhorn. Can any of you confirm that?

If I'm not mistaken, it seems Bach flugelhorns are not very popular. I wonder why...

Thank you.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few Bach flugels I've played just didn't seem to be as refined compared to others I prefer.

I did come across one player using a Bach flugel and a 3 (not 3C) Bach mouthpiece. That player was uniquely able to approximate the sound of a French Horn. While that's not generally the sound I'm shooting for I still think that it was pretty cool. Can't say I've ever heard another flugel do that quite so well.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I could not find a good camera angle in that video, I would say that the flugel looks very much like the early version of the 183 which I have, with the under-sprung valves.

FWIW, the 183 feels very light and agile. One of my old teachers, who placed himself firmly in the "Benge camp," stated that my 183 was one of the best flugelhorns he had ever played.

If you like the Benge flugelhorns with the large 5 bell or heavy Germanic-style flugelhorns, the Bach does not sound or play like those. Vincent Bach's 183 takes after the popular French style-flugelhorns of the day that had more overtones and a more delicate character. If you recall the 182 predecessor of the 183, it had a trumpet/cornet valve block with a shorter, narrow-wrap flugelhorn bell exiting first valve that sounded too much like a trumpet/cornet. For this reason, Bach copied the French flugels that had the short, straight tuning pipe to first valve and long, full-360-degree, wide-wrapped bell coming out of third valve.
KSaufley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I was actually a student of Mr. Carder at the U of A, and can confirm it was a Bach 183 flugelhorn.

Can also confirm that he played it as crazy good as his other horns.
GR Haefner 3HX

John 3:16
1 Corinthians 15:52-53
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: