• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece set up for jazz/classical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonak5634

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece set up for jazz/classical Reply with quote

Hello trumpeters!

For those of you who are classical (chamber and large group) players AND play jazz big band/dance band gigs(that may include some demanding 2nd trumpet or lead) what is your mouthpiece set up? Do you play one mouthpiece for all of it? Do you use one for all classical and one for jazz? Do you use one for classical and one for just lead?
And why?
I’d love to hear about any experience you may have had with this.
Thanks!
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a lead player, I play 2nd in big band, and occasional backup lead. I stay on the same rim (Curry 3.) and switch around cup size as necessary.
3C. on the B♭ for everything, including jazz, unless I need to sound like a lead player, then usually 3M.
3BC. on the C
Curry 3. rim for picc and flugel too.
I've got the whole line and sometimes use the 3B. for solo work.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm in the same Curry boat.. I'm what I call a "Chameleon" - I'm most comfortable in a Brass Quintet, (1st or 2nd), Concert Band/Wind Symphony. I pride myself at being an excellent 2nd man (supporting, matching and helping the 1st chair/lead sound better) But like many military bandsman had to be able to sit in any chair, any ensemble. I'm a strong section player and can play lead and rock band horn section when asked. (I often split lead 50/50 or 33/33/33 for mutliple set big band gigs)

Bb (all around mouthpiece) Curry 3C.
C - Curry 3C-S or 3BC
Eb/D - Curry 3C-S
Commercial - Curry 3* (star)
Picc. - 3DE or 3P
Cornet - 3DC
Flugel - 3FL
Retired Air Force Bandsman
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play classical and 2nd in big band. For classical I play a Monette B3S3, and for big band Im on a GR 65M. I think I will sell the GR for a LT Monette though...made a mistake with that one lol
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I sold my Monettes for GR mind you, I am an amateur player who used to play semipro and recorded a little, but this is what I use: GR65SZ for big band lead and aggressive rock stuff. Normal piece (including 1st/2nd chair) as of lately is a AR Resonance ME40 with an S shank. For orchestra I use a JK USA 5C (if I use my piston horn, which I barely ever do). Just realized I need to update my signature.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 3M. for everything.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to switch mouthpieces a lot but lately I'm playing on a middle of the road sized mouthpiece (similar to a Bach 3C), I might go back to switching but I haven't had any gigs that needed me to play serious serious lead lately and recently got a new horn so I'm just acclimating to it with one mouthpiece. There are benefits to switching and benefits to staying on one mouthpiece. Either is possible depending on your goals and the time you put into it.
Insensato
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Monette B2S3 for all of my playing (jazz, classical) and then a Greg Black 7S with a #3 backbore for lead. The lead mpc is much smaller in cup size and diameter than my Monette, but I just find that those mouthpieces work for me. I do not like lead mouthpieces that are shallow, but with a diameter close to the B2S3. I like a much smaller diameter for lead playing. I do not find that changing diameters impacts my playing in a negative way.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My playing demands are much like Zaferis describes above. Personally I’m a 5C-ish guy. I usually carry three pieces with the same rim. A not too shallow (maybe D cup) a normal C cup and a deeper B cup.

I usually use a bigger backbore and the B-ish cup on C trumpet and the C cup with a bigger backbore on Bb when playing Bb in an orchestra/quintet.

In big bands I play lead maybe 20% of the time at most so the D-ish cup is ok. It gives me some brightness so I’m not spending excess energy on brightening up the sound. I probably solo twice as much as I play lead so I need to be able to get a reasonably good sound but also be able to scurry around the horn so it’s a toss up between the C and D cup with a medium backbone.

I’m not one of the lucky ones that can switch between different diameters though.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piccolo: Pickett 5D/1
Lead: Pickett 5E/10-5 or 5E/R
Section (Commercial): Pickett 5 Commercial
Classical/Jazz Bb: Bach 3C or Pickett 3BC/10-2
C Trumpet: Bach 3C 24/24
Rotary: Hammond 5L
Flugel: Pickett 5FL or 3FLM

These choices were all made for 1) getting the right sound, and 2) providing the playing characteristics I aim for in each style...in that order.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Reeves P9A for practice/legit/C trp , P9 for small combos/big band and P10 for lead/commercial all of them with Reeves 43 rim .
Those there pieces covers all my needs and also I keep in my case a Reeves 43C2J for badlands and studio emergencies.
All my main pieces has the same rim and bbore and I change bore size and cup depth depending of the demands.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs

Last edited by giakara on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn, mouthpiece, and player all must match. So first, you may find that you need different mouthpieces for your different orchestral horns, due to the different blow resistances, bell, and leadpipe designs.

Next, for commercial playing, many of our players use a different mouthpiece than what they use for orchestral or studio work. Many of them stay on the same rim contour and cup diameter though, but may use a smaller cup volume and tighter backbore. Depending on the player, the alpha angle may or may not change as well. This is why you will see that players like Wayne Bergeron, Eric Miyashiro, Louis Dowdeswell, Tony Kadleck, and Jon Lewis will have a number of models in their personal GR Mouthpiece line. These players do use all of the models in their lines for the varied work they do.

So a quick answer to your question would be, right tool for the job at hand, keeping in mind that the tools must match the player and horn.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classical and jazz combo : Monette B2S3 (or C2S3 when in C)
Big band: Yamaha 14B GP
By the way the B2S3 fits extremely well with my Bb rotary Weimann.
EllisBand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Greg Black 👍👍 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a job that requires me to play mostly Jazz and big band, but also some legit playing. I’ve just received a Greg Black 1 1/4C trumpet and flugel piece. They’re prob the best pieces I’ve played! Heaps of support.....with a huge dark sound if needed. I’d definitely recommend trying them out. Played on a mt Vernon 3c for years.....this is the only thing I’ve found to be better, for me.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: