• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stuck second valve slide and bottom valve caps. Help!


Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
khedger
Veteran Member


Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 500
Location: Cambridge, MA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck second valve slide and bottom valve caps. Help! Reply with quote

Chenboi wrote:
My 2nd valve slide is terrible stuck (doesn't budge at all) and all three of my bottom valve caps can't move either. I really need to clean my horn but I can't conceive a way to remove these parts without breaking the instrument. Any suggestions?


first of all I'd use valve oil on all offending parts. Let it soak in and even oil it twice.

Run hot water on the slide and caps for a few minutes, then try again.

For the valve caps, cover them with a piece of towel or handi wipe (make a nice pad all the way around, then GENTLY try to unstick them with a pair of channel lock pliers. BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS. Make sure there's NO metal to metal contact between the pliers and the valve caps. DON'T try to force them. If an initial try doesn't work, then try something else. DON'T squeeze the channel locks too much!!! You don't want to damage anything here. Sometimes though, just a little more torque than you can get with your fingers will get things moving.....be very careful!!!!

keith
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Robert P
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 1711

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck second valve slide and bottom valve caps. Help! Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
GENTLY try to unstick them with a pair of channel lock pliers.

No - absolutely not - no matter what you have between the channel locks and the caps it's too easy to damage something. Those channel locks can exert massive pressure.

Heat and soaking in *real* penetrating oil - PB Blaster or Kroil as previously mentioned, glancing taps with a rubber or leather mallet and grab them with a rubber gripper. If you don't have the digital strength, find someone who does.
_________________
GoFundMe for CHASE member Ted Piercefield

https://www.gofundme.com/f/teeth-for-ted-piercefield
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 27 Jul 2005
Posts: 5008
Location: ca.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can gather this is the WORST place to get good advice regarding horn repair issues. Sheeesh
_________________
"There is no necessity for deadly strife" A. Lincoln 1860

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 5650

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest to convince yourself that your trumpet bottom caps have been fixed.

Unlike previous advice, this is psychological and will not harm the trumpet.

If you think, "but how can I convince the trumpet?", you cannot - unless you want your horn to suffer. Convincing trumpets without incurring additional trauma is the forte of brass psychoanalysts, also known as horn repairers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khedger
Veteran Member


Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 500
Location: Cambridge, MA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck second valve slide and bottom valve caps. Help! Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
khedger wrote:
GENTLY try to unstick them with a pair of channel lock pliers.

No - absolutely not - no matter what you have between the channel locks and the caps it's too easy to damage something. Those channel locks can exert massive pressure.

Heat and soaking in *real* penetrating oil - PB Blaster or Kroil as previously mentioned, glancing taps with a rubber or leather mallet and grab them with a rubber gripper. If you don't have the digital strength, find someone who does.


Well I guess this is one of those 'whatever works for you' things. I've used this method dozens of times over the years and never damaged a horn. You'll notice I said several times, in no uncertain terms how careful one must be.....

keith
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Brad361
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 6565
Location: Houston, TX.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penetrating oil....pliers.....rubber mallets.....not me. Depending on the horn and it’s value, anything that I could not easily remove/unscrew/loosen/whatever using reasonable, manual strength would go to a tech that I trusted, REGARDLESS of whether it’s convenient or not.

Just my opinion.

Brad
_________________
"I always try, but not always, because the horn is mercy-less, unpredictable and traitorous." - Arturo Sandoval
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Robert P
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 1711

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck second valve slide and bottom valve caps. Help! Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
Robert P wrote:
khedger wrote:
GENTLY try to unstick them with a pair of channel lock pliers.

No - absolutely not - no matter what you have between the channel locks and the caps it's too easy to damage something. Those channel locks can exert massive pressure.

Heat and soaking in *real* penetrating oil - PB Blaster or Kroil as previously mentioned, glancing taps with a rubber or leather mallet and grab them with a rubber gripper. If you don't have the digital strength, find someone who does.


Well I guess this is one of those 'whatever works for you' things. I've used this method dozens of times over the years and never damaged a horn. You'll notice I said several times, in no uncertain terms how careful one must be.....

keith

You might get away with it but the fact remains that you're using a hugely inappropriate tool for the job and it's too easy to have an "oops". Look into what channel locks are designed to do - bite into metal parts that are a lot tougher than the delicate brass of a trumpet and act as a force multiplier for your hand with -0- consideration as to things like cosmetics, potentially altering the critical roundness of a finely machined piston cylinder, breaking loose a solder joint.

Why risk that when you can use other methods so you don't *have* to use a tool with all that force potential?
_________________
GoFundMe for CHASE member Ted Piercefield

https://www.gofundme.com/f/teeth-for-ted-piercefield
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group