• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How Does He Do It?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Found a (very) recent performance of Nakariakov playing - with a higher res video than I've generally seen previously of his playing. Spoiler: he's still really, really good.[/youtube]
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet is an instrument that lends itself to an incredibly wide range of musical style and expression. Many of us, I feel, want to hang on a small percentage of what the instrument is capable of as the benchmark, IOW, the box that must be checked for a great player to truly be an "all arounder"....

Personal case in point: I've got a friend who is a REALLY good, strong player. this guy is one of those folks who worships at the alter of Maynard. Nothing wrong with that, we dig what we dig, but here's where he and I parted ways....
In one of our endless discussions about Maynard's (and Bill Chase, and Lin's) awesome playing (and they were/ARE for sure!) he brought up the occasion of Maynard performing "The Emperor" with the NY Phil, and apparently whomever the conductor was had quipped to Maynard, "If you ever lose your lip, you can come and play 1st trumpet with us!" I smiled and said that that was high praise but NO ONE plays principal trumpet with the NY Phil, or ANY major orchestra, with a blown lip. I then proceeded to talk for a bit about Phil Smith, who was still principal at the time. He had never heard of Phil, and I suggested he go on YouTube and check out some of Phil's work. His comment was, "Well, I'll check it out, but I don't think I'll be too impressed"....the next thing I knew the room was full of the scent of burning wiring coming from inside my cranial cavity...a long way to go, but it really struck me with how, as I said, for every mode of expression the trumpet is capable of, it's SO easy to get hung up on one aspect of it's palette. I'd be shocked to hear Sergei scream a dubba C, but I've heard him nail enough high F's with a gorgeous sound to make me think that if he cared about that aspect he might have a pretty good shot at achieving it......
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergei's range is just fine. He's not in a niche. He is a complete artist with good control of his instrument. He doesn't need to record a jazz album or record M Haydn to prove anything to anybody.
This thread is called "how does he do it?" Not "speculate on what he can't do".
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Sergei's range is just fine. He's not in a niche. He is a complete artist with good control of his instrument. He doesn't need to record a jazz album or record M Haydn to prove anything to anybody.
This thread is called "how does he do it?" Not "speculate on what he can't do".

Nailed it
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, he's a pretty good trumpet player, but can he pick his nose like I can? I doubt it, I am definitely a better nose-picker.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
The pettiness on this forum sometimes amazes me. We read comments like "using a setup oriented towards agility". Does this come from first hand knowledge or idle speculation? "He can play Hayden, but can he play lead in a big band," (I paraphrase). Why the qualifiers?

You're overlaying your own interpretation on what was an honest, objective answer to the original question, trying to infer value judgements that aren't any part of my comments.

At least one responder has cited an interaction with Sergei that supports what I concluded as accurate. If you're bound and determined to be huffy and indignant knock yourself out.

Alison Balsom isn't a high-noter either, I have several of her albums.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Sure, he's a pretty good trumpet player, but can he pick his nose like I can? I doubt it, I am definitely a better nose-picker.

Are you employing tongue arch when you do that?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How Does He Do It? Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I'm always transfixed when I hear Sergei Nakaraiakov. How does he play so effortlessly?

He practiced and continues to practice the correct material correctly, a lot.

Observations of what his neck is doing or what his lips look like when he is playing are pointless.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that heaven't already seen it, here's an hour-long feature that tells a good bit about him. Sadly I don't recall there being any mention of tongue arch or nose picking.
https://youtu.be/wTVf5qSeyQg
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when everyone agrees about something.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

You're overlaying your own interpretation on what was an honest, objective answer to the original question, trying to infer value judgements that aren't any part of my comments.

. If you're bound and determined to be huffy and indignant knock yourself out.
[/quote]

I was merely offering my opinion regarding one player evaluating another's abilities.

Last edited by adagiotrumpet on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
Robert P wrote:

. If you're bound and determined to be huffy and indignant knock yourself out.

I stand by my position that qualifying a player's abilities in any form is petty. I fail to see how this is "huffy and indignant".
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Sadly I don't recall there being any mention of tongue arch or nose picking.

No, of course not......a guy that plays like THAT isn't going to give away ALL his secrets
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with jaw04 (and Hermokiwi).
He does what he does as well as anybody on the planet!
Just enjoy it for what what it is.
Maynard on the Haydn, Mahler, or Carnival Of Venice …

Last edited by B_Starry on Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
I stand by my position that qualifying a player's abilities in any form is petty. I fail to see how this is "huffy and indignant".

You stand by your reading something that isn't there into what I said - understood.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
we must work on response quality and velocity / aperture control
lips alignment adjustments / air pivots / tongue / jaw
and of course have the right mpc parameters for ourselves
best
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking more about this topic and how cleanly Sergei plays everything. He doesn't crack notes or get less than a pure sound.

Meanwhile, most of the rest of us struggle with hitting notes cleanly, maintaining a pure sound and dealing with the other problems typical to sound production on trumpet.

We tend to focus on making our lips buzz to produce a clean and pure sound and there's no doubt that Sergei focuses on that, too.

I think, however, that Sergei focuses on something else as well: He focuses on preventing from buzzing anything that interferes with a clean and pure sound. He's got his embouchure set so that everything that creates a clean and pure sound is buzzing and everything that interferes with creating a clean and pure sound is not buzzing. He somehow isolates and controls those two elements.

I know that in my case when I get less than a clean and pure sound the problem is not that the parts that are supposed to be buzzing aren't buzzing. The problem is that there is something else buzzing that is interfering with what is supposed to be buzzing.

Sergei must be tightening up what's not supposed to buzz so that it doesn't buzz while keeping what's supposed to buzz free to buzz. It sounds simple conceptually but it's difficult to execute consistently. I only know that when I have a sound production issue if I tighten things up (make the lips more rigid) even a little the problem usually goes away or at least becomes much less of a problem.

People talk about "tensionless" playing and/or that "tension" is bad but you have to have some tension in your embouchure to make things work. I wonder, for many of us, if we're experiencing problems because we're not employing enough tension in our embouchures, that a certain amount of steady and consistent tension needs to be there to keep things that shouldn't be buzzing from buzzing.

Last edited by HERMOKIWI on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's Doc's "tight corners, relaxed center"
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play much better if I activate m core, something I learned to do only after receiving physical therapy following back surgery. Also, I play cleaner with better range if I don't take too much air and don't hesitate for a nanosecond using the air I do inhale.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
that's Doc's "tight corners, relaxed center"

No, that's not what I'm describing. What I'm saying is that the center can be too relaxed. It can be so relaxed that things in the center that interfere with buzzing a clean and pure sound are not being controlled with the result that those things buzz and interfere with making a clean and pure sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: