• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What would you teach for the occasional student?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author
whitbey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a Rotarian and I use this service club as a connection to help brass players in the local high schools. I go in to the school about twice a month and do a workshop most of the time for the low brass, other times all brass, and a time or two I took the whole band.
Most of the time my message is to: Play in tune. Make a nice sound that belongs to your instrument. Don’t play in the wrong place. (keep time, don’t drag, play to help the ensemble). Enjoy playing music. With this simple idea I have been able to improve the bottom half of the players, get the better players that take lessons to enjoy improving themselves, get them to buy music to enjoy playing and have fun, and get them to listen to themselves in a way they understand. This what I do for fun. I am not paid nor do I have time to be there for regular individual lessons.
Now here is my problem. I have had an enormous success with the SC and TS methods to the point my ego is getting to much attention from compliments at rehearsals and gigs. I am finding it difficult to say as the old school teaches have: “Don’t stretch your lips to play high, squeeze them in” I feel I need to at least say, roll in roll out. And also would like to put more info out about looking up this info and learn it. The conflict is that I am not qualified, nor capable of committing the time to helping that much.
Those of you that are teaching and seasoned at using this discipline, how many ideas would you direct to these kids and how much would you use the old answer?
Jeff Whitbey
jeff@whitbey.com

http://www.rotary.org/
http://www.rotary.org/foundation/polioplus/index.html

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-12-10 23:51
As most of us have found, you can't single-handedly change the whole world. Even Jerry Callet has given up on that! Perhaps just drop a hint or two and see what happens from there. Also, give them this forum address and suggest they give it a look-through. The rest is up to them; a player must really want to get better. Best regards, Kyle

LFRoberts5
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-12-11 08:04
That is where real teaching comes into play. Give the students just enough to help them out and sit back and see if they ask for more. If they do, give it to them. If they don't, they really are not interested in learning. Remember YOU are a coach, THEY are the teacher. You can only point them in the right direction. They have to take it upon themselves to digest the information, make sense of it for their particular situation and apply it in their everyday practice routine. Hope this make sense.
Respectfully,
LFRoberts5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: