• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Method

View previous topic :: View next topic  
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Method Reply with quote

I can ask what is the easiest method for trumpet. I am a certain age and would like to start with something simple. Sound self-taught, but I would like to try the approach of a method for trumpet. Arban does not seem very simple to me.
trumpetDS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the "Walter Beeler Method for Cornet." It has a good balance of everything. There is a Book 2 as well.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If AT ALL POSSIBLE, study with a teacher to achieve the best results. I know that may be a challenge, but many teachers are now offering lessons via Skype and Zoom....

If that is not possible, I think that Harold"Pappy" Mitchell's "Mitchell on Trumpet" is the best method for independent study. The first lesson in the first volume is suitable for absolute beginners. From there, the lessons progress gradually, ending with some very advanced material in the fourth volume (lesson 82). You can purchase a hard copy from Hickey's Music, Amazon or a number of other stores, or an electronic copy from qPress (qpress.ca).

The two-volume sequence "Let's Get Started Right" and "The Developing Trumpet Player" by Bill Knevitt -- which may only be available electronically from qPress (qpress.ca) -- is also fairly comprehensive, steadily progressive up to the intermediate level, and worth recommending.

There are many other methods that can be used for independent study -- Herbert L. Clarke's "Elementary Studies," Claude Gordon's "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing" and David Hickman's "100 Progressive Lessons" notable among them -- but they are not as comprehensive as the above recommended methods.

In the case of Arban specifically, you can make more sense of it by using Eric Bolvin's excellent "The Arban Manual," but it is best suited for a late-stage beginner (at the earliest), not an introductory method.

Good luck!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafael Mendez did a video on playing trumpet. You can watch it on youtube (it's in several sections). He says that if you want to learn to play the trumpet "All you have to do is play scales. Scales and more scales."

I think the simplest method is to listen to how other players play and sound and then try to imitate them playing scales.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Method Reply with quote

napoorsocapo wrote:
I can ask what is the easiest method for trumpet. I am a certain age and would like to start with something simple. Sound self-taught, but I would like to try the approach of a method for trumpet. Arban does not seem very simple to me.

I agree that Arban Method is hard to follow. And for me personally, I think it works best only after you have a good foundation.

I started on the Rubank method. The elementry, intermediate, and advanced volumes are easy to follow and provide a good foundation. There are other options out there, as I'm sure others will suggest.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem was with the learning curve which, I believe, is too steep in some beginners' methods. Arban runs out of beginners' stuff quickly.

I have the Pappy Mitchell books and believe they are suberbly well balanced. But I think they assume too much in the beginnings. Once you get to a certain stage, then I don't think you could ask for anything better that the Mitchell.

The best, slower moving and modern book I've run across, is The Developing Trumpet Player by Bill Knevitt.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a band method book 1. As simple as it gets.

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetDS wrote:
I would recommend the "Walter Beeler Method for Cornet." It has a good balance of everything. There is a Book 2 as well.

IN ADDITION TO PRIVATE LESSONS: I like Beeler as well, if I remember correctly it is a bit more “adult”, fewer little cartoon drawings, “song titles” for every simple exercise, etc.

Brad
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't the easiest, but this is the easiest and most comprehensive and interactive beginning method:
https://bolvinmusic.com/product/i-play-trumpet-and-the-really-big-student-songbook/

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: