• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

READ THIS! Confusion between TCE and Superchops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bossa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as though there may be some confusion between different methods that jerome taught/teaches.

1. The method taught in the book "Superchops" is 20 years out of date.

2. His new method is similar to superchops in my opinion, but has been refined further and is A LOT BETTER. Because he also calls his new method Superchops, things get a bit confusing. He also refers to his new method as the Toungue Controlled Embouchure. The new method is the one that is described in "Trumpet Secrets", his latest book.

If you're using the old "Superchops" book, the I would recommend you stop using it now and get aquainted with the new method. Jerome only teaches Toungue Controlled Embouchure now beacause it works much better.

I suggest we refer to the new superchops method as "Toungue Controlled Embouchure" (or TCE for short) and the old superchops method as "obsolete superchops" from now on in this forum

Hope this helps

[ This Message was edited by: bossa on 2003-12-22 12:29 ]
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bossa,

<<I suggest we refer to the new superchops method as "Toungue Controlled Embouchure" (or TCE for short) and the old superchops method as "obsolete superchops" from now on in this forum >>

Actually, we've had this discussion many times on this forum though those posts are now deleted. Having been a Jerry student for a number of years, I'm strongly of the opinion that TCE is an evolution of SC which was an evolution from Yoga. Just as there are many people who found Yoga to work best for them, there are SC fans, and there are TCE fans. Personally, TCE was the big breakthrough for me. But as I've studied the previous two methods extensively, I'm very comfortable discussing all three on this same forum. From the beginning of this forum, we've officially invited everyone to discuss any of the three that they wish.

There is some confusion over the use of the word "Superchops". Jerry continues to call all of his work Superchops because they all share the majority of principles. At one time, Jerry thought pedal tones were the easiest way to teach SC. In his SC manual, he tried to analyze and dissect it more to help themore analytic types. Now, he feels that primary concentration on the tongue will get students there faster. But when all is said and done, practically all of the SC principles and the Yoga principles still apply. In private lessons he continues to use techniques from all three. Just as different people think differently, it sometimes helps to approach the subject in different ways.

Best regards, Kyle
bossa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kyle,

Fair enough, it's true that TCE uses many principles from "Trumpet Yoga" and "Superchops".
But you said it yourself, TCE is an evolution from the former two - in other words, it's better. Jerry himself told me to use TCE.

I don't doubt that Trumpet Yoga and Superchops are useful, but what's the point in using them if there is something better available?

Obviously if someone is already using Superchops or Trumpet Yoga methods, then it might be easier for them to stick with what works. But if someone is starting out, whether changing their embouchure or starting to play the trumpet, surely TCE is the better option?

what do you think?

merry christmas!
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bossa, As TCE is what has worked very successfully for me, I too encourage it most strongly. However, you will find many players out there than found SC to be their godsend. They will back it's virtues as strongly as others promote TCE.

As Yoga and SC both led up to TCE, I don't consider either obsolete. I had a recent lesson with Jerry and we worked primarly on material he outlined in SC, not TCE. That's merely because my TCE was working well but there were some earlier points that would make things even better. As I'm not in agreement that the principles of SC are obsolete, I woulnd't want to label it that way. Nonetheless, if I was personally starting a new student I would begin with TCE just as Jerry does. If others, more familiar with SC or Yoga start that way, they will be heading in the right direction too. Hope that clears things up, at least a little bit. Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: