• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No Coke – Pepsi.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: No Coke – Pepsi. Reply with quote

Started a new thread in case others are interested in chiming in.
khedger wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
ProAm wrote:
I actually preferred new Coke myself. Tasted more like Pepsi.

Wasn’t that the whole mistaken plan? Create a coke product that tasted like Pepsi to stop erosion of market share?

I have always preferred Coke to Pepsi. My sister did the “Pepsi Challenge” back in the day and that is what converted her to a coke customer.

How many reading this are old enough to have had a Coke before 1970? Whole other beast. They may have had the 'same formula' thru the 70s and beyond, but the change from sugar to corn syrup and whatever other additives were introduced, by the early 70s Coke tasted very different. Then the 'new coke' came out and it didn't taste like Pepsi, it tasted like bat pi**!
Now I've always liked RC Cola.........

keith
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never cared for RC Cola. I did like some of the Shasta sodas. Black Cherry, umm.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: No Coke – Pepsi. Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
I have always preferred Coke to Pepsi. My sister did the “Pepsi Challenge” back in the day and that is what converted her to a coke customer.

How many reading this are old enough to have had a Coke before 1970? Whole other beast. They may have had the 'same formula' thru the 70s and beyond, but the change from sugar to corn syrup and whatever other additives were introduced, by the early 70s Coke tasted very different. Then the 'new coke' came out and it didn't taste like Pepsi, it tasted like bat pi**!
Now I've always liked RC Cola.........

keith[/quote]
Coke in Europe (well at least when I was there Germany as an exchange student) was sugar rather than corn syrup. Also, Mexican coke is sugar, not syrup. Though I was around in the 70's, I didn't drink soda as a kid (or now, for that matter) so I can't say if it's the same, but it's not the same as the HF corn syrup stuff.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexican Coke (comes in bottles) has a very nice flavor. I also enjoy McDonald's Coke, which I have heard is scientifically proven to taste better than others.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: No coke-Pepsi Reply with quote

No Coke-Petsi!

I could spend hours going back through (in my mind) soda commercials from when I was young. One of the tv stations had a late night horror movie on and they would show the proper way to pour RC cola so it would stay sparkly. Starting a bunch of trumpet junkies in on a topic like this is funny because trumpet players don't agree absolutely on anything, LOL.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for those little 8-oz glass bottles of Mexican Coca-Cola. Absolutely incredibly delicious. Real sugar makes a difference!

I haven't had a cola in many years (these days I drink seltzer) but if I were to have one, I'd make sure it was in the little glass bottle.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped drinking soda many years ago. But a coworker at a former job told me he only bought Mexican coke. He much preferred it over American coke. He said it was the sugar vs corn syrup thing.

Interesting to hear about that on a trumpet website.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how many of us are old enough to remember seeing this when it first ran?
I am.....and did.😳😬😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssnUBk_QBfM

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I hear a vote for Dr. Pepper?

And, like Coke, it has changed a lot over the years. There was nothing like those "pruney" drinks available only back in the day.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father worked for a company called Johnny Mitchell back in the 50’s. The company manufactured Dr Pepper dispensing machines. The machines required testing so the employees were allowed to bring in their own containers and take home soda for free.

Remember when you could bring in a gallon jug to A&W and get it filled with root beer to go?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Remember when you could bring in a gallon jug to A&W and get it filled with root beer to go?

You got me on that, Rusty, but now that I think of it, we didn't have enough money to buy a gallon of anything (save gas), especially something that "frivolous".

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

You got me on that, Rusty, but now that I think of it, we didn't have enough money to buy a gallon of anything (save gas), especially something that "frivolous".

My family didn’t have much money when I was growing up. But I do remember the rare gallon jug of root beer. 🍺

Or our family of six splitting a couple bottles of coke or Pepsi, whichever was on sale, as a Friday night treat. (He says taking another swig from his diet Dr. Pepper.)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Coke, Pepsi.

https://youtu.be/puJePACBoIo

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Do I hear a vote for Dr. Pepper?

And, like Coke, it has changed a lot over the years. There was nothing like those "pruney" drinks available only back in the day.

I've always loved Dr. Pepper.

On the cola thing....my grandad used to buy a bottle (coke, pepsi, rc, whatever) and would buy a vending machine bag of Planters Roast Peanuts, then pour the peanuts into the bottle of cola. I finally tried it and it was really good!

keith
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Another vote for those little 8-oz glass bottles of Mexican Coca-Cola. Absolutely incredibly delicious. Real sugar makes a difference!

I haven't had a cola in many years (these days I drink seltzer) but if I were to have one, I'd make sure it was in the little glass bottle.

And if you want to try something really good, next time your in an Italian market or deli, see if they carry a drink by Pelligrino called 'Chinotto' (ki-noe-toe). Bloody outstanding! (and I'm not even British)

keith
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
My father worked for a company called Johnny Mitchell back in the 50’s. The company manufactured Dr Pepper dispensing machines. The machines required testing so the employees were allowed to bring in their own containers and take home soda for free.

I remember that. One of my favorite meals used to be two foot long A&W chili dogs with mustard and onions, and a quart of their root beer. I really MISS A&W!

keith
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

I remember that. One of my favorite meals used to be two foot long A&W chili dogs with mustard and onions, and a quart of their root beer. I really MISS A&W!

keith

Darn! Now I am getting hungry. Time to go start the chicken stock and make the noodles.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: No Coke – Pepsi. Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
... Now I've always liked RC Cola.........

--------------------
Drank a lot of RC as a kid because it came in 16 oz bottles, and was a little less expensive (a few pennies, maybe nickel) than Coke or Pepsi.

Now it's seltzer (for my a1c blood sugar level). During the summer a few years ago I drank a lot of Dr.P because I like the taste and it was on sale. My a1c spiked and switching to seltzer brought it down fast. Plus no-cal seltzer helps with weight control. I keep the carton of seltzer next to my TV chair - the peanut butter is on top shelf BEHIND another can of seltzer!

Oh ya, the men's locker room at the YMCA is where you really can SEE INTO THE FUTURE!

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: No Coke – Pepsi. Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
khedger wrote:
... Now I've always liked RC Cola.........

--------------------
Drank a lot of RC as a kid because it came in 16 oz bottles, and was a little less expensive (a few pennies, maybe nickel) than Coke or Pepsi.

Now it's seltzer (for my a1c blood sugar level). During the summer a few years ago I drank a lot of Dr.P because I like the taste and it was on sale. My a1c spiked and switching to seltzer brought it down fast. Plus no-cal seltzer helps with weight control. I keep the carton of seltzer next to my TV chair - the peanut butter is on top shelf BEHIND another can of seltzer!

Oh ya, the men's locker room at the YMCA is where you really can SEE INTO THE FUTURE!

Jay
Diet Dr. P for me. My A1C is great. But losing 45 pounds on the way to fifty and getting to the center of the weight guidelines for my height has probably helped.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll throw my support behind Coke and Dr. Pepper. Always been a fan of the regional sodas too. Any fellow Wisconsinites like Jolly Good? Loved it as a kid. They brought it back in the last few years, but it’s just not the same.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: