• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Inconsistent Upper Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTRPT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Inconsistent Upper Register Reply with quote

My range isn't the best, but every now and then (every couple of months) I reach a spike where I can hit solid E's and F's above the staff with the occassional flimsy G. This normally happens for 3 to 4 days where it seems like it doesn't matter how hard I push myself (which I try not to go too hard), the range still pops out the next day. After this short while, my range dives back down to hardly being able to hit a high C. I'll give a run down of this weeks schedule, as far as range goes, to make it easier to get assistance.

Monday: high Eb until I chopped out after about 5 minutes of doing arpeggios up to it
Tuesday: consistent high F
Wednesday: high G came out
Thursday: high F
Friday: can push out a flimsy high D
Saturday: high C
Sunday: high Bb is fairly consistent

Some background information, I'm a sophomore in high school, I've played lead the past year in our jazz band and marching band. My range gets worse on a lead mouthpiece, so I play a large 1.5C. On the days when I was playing high, I wasn't making myself chop out on anything high which is what confuses me. I take lessons and I've addressed this issue there but the normal advice I'm given is just to do stamp, which I do every day. Thank you for any help and if there are any questions about this I'd be more than happy to answer them. Thank you so much and Happy Easter!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course when results are inconsistent it's because something is changing from time to time. The thing that is most likely changing is the degree of tension in your embouchure. When things aren't working as well you're likely trying harder with the result that there is more vibration-defeating tension in your embouchure. Playing in the high register should be a focus thing rather than an effort/straining thing.

You've proven that you can play the notes. On some days something is interfering with your ability to make the notes speak. It's not the mouthpiece or the horn because those things have remained constant. It's not likely to be a change in the placement of the mouthpiece on your lips because placement tends to be consistent and, further, it's something I suspect you've played around with and it hasn't resolved the problem. So, that leaves tension variations as the most likely cause.

I'm in Nebraska, too. I'll PM you.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on the right track! Just keep making observations about what you are doing right on the "good days." It's normal, at least was for me, to experience what you are going through. Keep at it. Avoid wearing yourself out. Try to stay fresh as much as possible, whether you are having a good playing day or a bad day. On the days where it's not working, don't try to force the notes.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest tracking how much playing you are doing on specific days. From what you provided it looks like your range is tailing off toward the end of the week as you do more playing. Balance out heavy days with the type of practice that is different from what you have been doing (ie, you've been playing loud in marching/jazz band, so do something soft and lyrical). Also consider if you're staying hydrated, etc. Progress is not a steady line. There will be steps forward and steps back.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: