• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Newbie questions - average time + usable range

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m1tch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Newbie questions - average time + usable range Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new on the forum, I used to play a tenor horn back in school when I was younger although stopped at grade 1 (like a lot of people!). Anyway I decided to pick up a trumpet as I have always liked them as they are more versatile and compact and have a larger range of possible notes etc.

Anyway, it arrived last Wednesday afternoon and I have been practising every day in short stints and resting when I feel the tone isn't as bright or as solid as it should be.

I have practised for around 16 hours so far and my current range is the low F sharp up to a middle? D (4th ledger) - with the E only just earlier.

I have gone through a fair few beginner music sheets so far, also played frere jacques - grabbed what I thought was a beginner sheet but it went up to middle D which I seem to be ok to play.

Anyway, I was just wondering what sort of 'average' time it would take to get into the higher registers from a beginner.

My other question is about the most usable range I should aim for to encapsulate most songs or tunes? Just looking at 'fly me to the moon' which seems to go as high as middle D with 'what a wonderful world' going up to an E - but at least still within the staff!

Sorry for the newbie questions, I am aware that it will take a lot of time, especially getting to the higher registers but considering on my first day of practice I could play 5 notes, and today its more like 20 its been fun so far!

Thanks in advance!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first concern regarding 'range' should be to START with a proper embouchure (lip muscle control and usage) that will allow long term improvement in range.

If you (as many of us have done) try to use mouthpiece pressure, and/or 'stretched thin lips' to squeak out higher notes, you'll likely injure your lips, or end with a limited range beyond which your lips can't function.

check here for my initial recommendations -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1592818#1592818

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most players it takes a long time to develop reliable range above the staff. I think that's mostly because most players don't receive proper instruction on how to play trumpet. Instead, they get a little introduction and then are left to figure it out on their own.

I'm a self taught player. I started when I was 10 years old. I was in 8th grade (14 years old) before I could play an A above the staff with any reliability. I was one of the few in my class who could do that. In retrospect it seems ridiculous it took that long. A above the staff is really not a very high note. It comes easy now. So, why did it take so long?

I think the answer is that no one showed me how it's done. No one showed me anything about the technique necessary. I just had to go through a trial and error (mostly error) process.

Having a competent teacher is a big advantage.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Necessary usable range: Look at/listen to the music you want to play and figure out the trumpet range.

2. Go slow. Play with a nice a tone as you can in your easy range, concentrate on getting what you consider a good sound. Record yourself and be sure.

3. Get a good teacher early on to avoid. There are lots of people here on this forum that teach online, and that might be your best bet at this point. If you get someone to help you with the basics now, you will progress much more rapidly in the future.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
m1tch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help, I will recheck my embouchure technique - I have no teacher and its been a while since I have played brass so I am worried I will fall into the wrong technique thinking its the right approach.

Would the below be a good guide? I have tried to make sure i'm not trying to tighten or strain my lips together for higher notes as that just cuts off the air - although now starting to get confused as to which technique is correct!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLE_-ly8hrQ

I am trying my best to support the sound with tighter muscles around the mouth with a looser pressure on the face with my teeth slightly open but still supporting my lips etc. Am I learning it the wrong way? I did noticed that when I was trying to get some of the higher notes the mouthpiece lost the seal with my lips so I know something isn't right - trying to work out how to transition between the different embouchure for the lower and higher notes.

I guess my question is, how do I change to a different embouchure - starting to get a bit confused. Have seen a 'smile' embouchure technique being used so using the muscles around to increase and decrease the lip pressure to increase or decrease the buzz - is this no longer used?

Just looking at the 'comeback trumpeters guide' in the handy link Jay sent the procedure is the below, I am doing everything exactly as below in terms of setup, my question would be lip compression - is this the root of the technique I need to learn.

My question around lip compression would be - to compress the lips is this done by the actual lips or done with other face muscles? Eg am I aiming to setup the embouchure and then only tense/relax JUST the lips to get the buzz I am after with the rest of my face sort of locked in place?

1. Good posture. Chest, arms and head up.
2. Relax jaw and open throat.
3. Teeth 1/2 inch apart. Jaw forward.
4. Pull the mouth corners in toward your lips.
5. Roll both lips in slightly. You want a hint of an inward curl.
6. Let the lips touch and expose to air. Say "M".
7. Buzzing firmness before placing mouthpiece.
8. Place mouthpiece gently on lips.
9. Little mouthpiece pressure.
10. Breathe and blow. Don't hold it in.
11. Pivot to keep mouthpiece lined up with air stream.
12. Lip compression will give you upper register. Lip against lip.
13. Relax the chops. Back off the pressure and make the air work.
14. Always set for a g on top of the staff. The lips can easily relax 1&1/2 octaves to get
to low c and high g is only an octave away.
15. Always set chops, place mouthpiece, blow.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, coming from a tenor horn its a much much lower register when learning so my lips were looser etc.

With regards to the various songs/tunes I am aiming for, a fair few of them have notes within the staff so guessing a middle E would work however there are a few goal pieces (will take many years!) such as a piece by Ennio Morricone eg this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnt8M_80udo

In terms of going slow - I have learnt a huge amount within a week, just concerned I need to relearn everything! Will work on tone etc in the easier beginner notes and record myself.
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day ... I'm not expert; rather a bit of a novice but I have played tenor horn years ago.

FWIW ...
Several things I haven't noticed in the comments thus far.

1) the tenor horn, from my limited experience, is an easier horn to play than the trumpet - larger mouthpiece assists considerably, I would guess.

2) so far the variable positioning of the tongue has not been mentioned. The tongue position, is very important to reach the higher notes. The Trumpet Herald experts will be able to provide more information on working with your tongue, air flow and what some term, air pressure.

3) Reckon I'd suggest, at this stage, reducing the number of hours you are practising. One's chops, unless conditioned to long hours "attached" to the mouthpiece, will be unwittingly injured if not careful. One can bash one's fingers against a keyboard for hours usually, but pushing the chops against the trumpet, in my book, is not advisable. I've been there and done that, and then wondered why it takes so long to "warm up." Mini breaks (5, 10, 15 minutes) can often provide the relief the chops need.

4) Those professionals we see in video clips and on Trumpet Herald have often spent a lifetime of hard work getting the experience, practise and performance skills we "newbies" or "returnees" to the horn envy and would like to imitate.

5) long within-the-staff-notes will help develop your tone and pitch.

FWIW
B&S 150A Alto-Tenor Horn
Yamaha FZ8n (motorcycle)
Conn 83B (trumpet)
m1tch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliot wrote:
G'day ... I'm not expert; rather a bit of a novice but I have played tenor horn years ago.

FWIW ...
Several things I haven't noticed in the comments thus far.

1) the tenor horn, from my limited experience, is an easier horn to play than the trumpet - larger mouthpiece assists considerably, I would guess.

2) so far the variable positioning of the tongue has not been mentioned. The tongue position, is very important to reach the higher notes. The Trumpet Herald experts will be able to provide more information on working with your tongue, air flow and what some term, air pressure.

3) Reckon I'd suggest, at this stage, reducing the number of hours you are practising. One's chops, unless conditioned to long hours "attached" to the mouthpiece, will be unwittingly injured if not careful. One can bash one's fingers against a keyboard for hours usually, but pushing the chops against the trumpet, in my book, is not advisable. I've been there and done that, and then wondered why it takes so long to "warm up." Mini breaks (5, 10, 15 minutes) can often provide the relief the chops need.

4) Those professionals we see in video clips and on Trumpet Herald have often spent a lifetime of hard work getting the experience, practise and performance skills we "newbies" or "returnees" to the horn envy and would like to imitate.

5) long within-the-staff-notes will help develop your tone and pitch.

FWIW

Thanks for that, I am going to reduce the number of hours practice but not the regularity I think - I do make sure I take a break when I feel the tone isn't sounding as good as it was.

I have noticed that the trumpet mouthpiece is a fair bit smaller than when I had my Tenor horn, researching into this a bit it would seem that this would be due to the range of the instruments with the larger mouthpiece being for the lower range instrument. Its the first thing I have noticed when starting to learn the trumpet - currently on a standard beginner 7C. From memory when playing the Tenor horn as a beginner I would probably put the middle C as the 'upper' sort of buzz I would use whereas this is only part way for the trumpet.

I think I will look to practice more within the staff notes for a while up to middle C perhaps and focus on technique and tone with a few higher notes up to D and E every now and then to start learning the higher register whilst still relaxing.

Still learning how much air is needed for various notes as well and know its more about flow rather than pressure/volume. Will also try some breathing techniques so that I can fully control the air supply to the trumpet rather than just hoping blowing harder will give me a result!

As I said before I have only been playing for around 16 hours so far (although that's in less than a week). Think I will just do some mouthpiece buzzing infront of a mirror today to let everything recover and play something tomorrow.

I have noticed that there are some lower register blues scales - might look at some of those as that could be fun to play/improvise with to get some proper tone dialled in with the C blue scale stopping at middle C.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
Would the below be a good guide? I have tried to make sure i'm not trying to tighten or strain my lips together for higher notes as that just cuts off the air - although now starting to get confused as to which technique is correct!

-----------------------
I watched only a few minutes of the Charlie Porter video, and I think his beginning explanation about drum heads, guitar strings, and woodwind reeds can lead to improper LIP control. I wrote some information here -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1588330#1588330
about embouchure basics.
I don't think it is proper to strive for 'compressing (squeezing) the upper and lower lips together' to change pitch. It is NECESSARY for the lips to allow air flow thru the aperture - a controlled amount of compression is necessary adjust the size of the aperture, but too much compression will prevent air flow.

About those items in the Comeback Trumpeters Guide - my thoughts

Jay - I think 1/2 inch is too much. Yes, controlled jaw position to align upper and lower teeth.

Jay - and at the same time use other muscles to pull the corners outward (NOT smile) to produce tension of the lip tissue.

Jay
m1tch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
m1tch wrote:

-----------------------
I watched only a few minutes of the Charlie Porter video, and I think his beginning explanation about drum heads, guitar strings, and woodwind reeds can lead to improper LIP control. I wrote some information here -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1588330#1588330
about embouchure basics.
I don't think it is proper to strive for 'compressing (squeezing) the upper and lower lips together' to change pitch. It is NECESSARY for the lips to allow air flow thru the aperture - a controlled amount of compression is necessary adjust the size of the aperture, but too much compression will prevent air flow.

About those items in the Comeback Trumpeters Guide - my thoughts

Jay - I think 1/2 inch is too much. Yes, controlled jaw position to align upper and lower teeth.

Jay - and at the same time use other muscles to pull the corners outward (NOT smile) to produce tension of the lip tissue.

Jay

Thank you so much for your help on this, I have downloaded the guide, I *think* I am using the right technique in terms of pulling the corners outwards to change - will check in front of the mirror.

With regards to the teeth, I guess everyone is different - will make sure that my teeth are aligned though to make sure everything is equal pressure.

I have also found the below guide as well which seems to be a simplified sort of setup by saying the word 'M' to get most aspects in place before placing the mouthpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCpdzdGAQc

Will take things stead and keep with the beginner tunes to work on tone and breathing as well as embouchure development etc.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
I have also found the below guide as well which seems to be a simplified sort of setup by saying the word 'M' to get most aspects in place before placing the mouthpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCpdzdGAQc

---------------------------------
Yes, that video by Brian Shook is good.
But when he demonstrates the embouchure WITHOUT using a mouthpiece or visualizer, I think the 'smile' position occurs. Don't actually use that position with a mouthpiece when playing.
LOOK carefully at how his lip corners are more inward when he uses the mouthpiece or visualizer.
And how he pulls the 'point' of his chin downward to flatten it (which also helps to open the throat and oral cavity), NOT with chin pushed upward and bunched.

Jay
m1tch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just need to double check something then, I am happy with:

Setting up the embouchure
Mouthpiece position
Relaxed pressure on mouthpiece

My main question is what I need to do with my lips/face when moving up to the higher notes (even within the staff) do I:

1 - Keep everything else tight and manipulate just my lips inside the mouthpiece to change the aperture size to increase the buzz

2 - Keep my lips the same in the mouthpiece but pull my lips outwards using the muscles to each side of my lips to sort of thin out my lips to change the aperture

3 - Something else

Just need to work out what I need to do with my lips/face muscles to be able to change the aperture of my embouchure to be able to increase the buzz for higher notes.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
1 - Keep everything else tight and manipulate just my lips inside the mouthpiece to change the aperture size to increase the buzz

2 - Keep my lips the same in the mouthpiece but pull my lips outwards using the muscles to each side of my lips to sort of thin out my lips to change the aperture

3 - Something else

----------------------------------
#1) Trying to ONLY manipulate lips INSIDE the mpc would be very difficult and probably need way too much mental (and physical) concentration.

#2) same situation as for #1. And NO, don't do much actual outward stretching of the lips.

#3) There needs to be control of lips both inside and outside of the rim. Inside is mostly about the amount of lip separation and compression. Outside is control of lip tissue tension. Combined muscle use of both inward and outward pulling (without much change in the distance of lip corner separation) - to make the lip tissue more 'dense' so it vibrates faster and remains thick to absorb mpc pressure.

Jay
m1tch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, I think I get it a bit more now - so basically after forming the embouchure and the mouthpiece is in place its the lips that adjust the aperture of the part of the lip inside the mouthpiece rather than anything else. With the muscles around the lips being there for support?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to explain it in more detail. I don't think of 'inner' or 'outer' lips as separate entities while playing - I adjust the entire set of muscles (basically by 'feel' and 'trial and error') to find what works.
Changing pitch does involve control and adjustment of all the muscles that affect the lips (and the muscles that affect the tongue and jaw), but I have difficulty translating the physical feeling into a precise written description.

I suggest working on easy 'same valve' lip slurs to learn the lip adjustments - e.g.
C below the staff - 2nd line G (all valves open) - doing both upward and downward lip slurs
B - F# (2)
Bb - F (1)
etc. downward to (123)

and similar doing 3rd space C and 2nd line G, down thru (123) F# and C# below staff.

Jay
m1tch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I don't know how to explain it in more detail. I don't think of 'inner' or 'outer' lips as separate entities while playing - I adjust the entire set of muscles (basically by 'feel' and 'trial and error') to find what works.
Changing pitch does involve control and adjustment of all the muscles that affect the lips (and the muscles that affect the tongue and jaw), but I have difficulty translating the physical feeling into a precise written description.

I suggest working on easy 'same valve' lip slurs to learn the lip adjustments - e.g.
C below the staff - 2nd line G (all valves open) - doing both upward and downward lip slurs
B - F# (2)
Bb - F (1)
etc. downward to (123)

and similar doing 3rd space C and 2nd line G, down thru (123) F# and C# below staff.

Jay

I will keep doing the lip slurs between the different octaves, I do know what you mean with regards to the feeling though, I can sometimes get a really good tone when completely relaxed with little effort and it just feels right. Still getting a couple of airy notes though, but might be as I need to take a break.
m1tch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I have just found an amazing video explaining what I am probably doing wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujrTDbnvDpU

Keep the same aperture size and increase in the speed of the air = higher note

Increased air speed means the lips need to be held back to the same size, once this is done the higher air speed past the lips buzzes the lips at a higher tone.

I shouldn't move my lips closer together to get a higher note as this is limited, same with thinning the lips out as there is only so far you can go.

I just tried this and it seems to help - just holding all valves open I can go from a C to a G to a C when I control the size of the aperture of the lips with the muscles around it.

I think the key take out from the video I found was that we aren't trying to buzz our lips, we are just trying to pass air over them at different speeds to make them buzz differently.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Increased air speed means the lips need to be held back to the same size, once this is done the higher air speed past the lips buzzes the lips at a higher tone.

The effort to "hold" the lips changes lip tension. This results in a higher pitch. It has nothing to do with air speed. You can make the same lip action with no change in air pressure and achieve the same pitch increase but with less loudness.

Also, blowing with more effort on a constant pitch also increases the flow velocity through the aperture, but no change of pitch. So it is easy to see that air speed does not influence pitch.

Quote:
I will keep doing the lip slurs between the different octaves

Please don't. You must learn to play low notes with low effort first. Then add range with valves and tongued notes first. Once that is improved you will add lip slurs gradually and sparingly. Otherwise you will not learn efficiency of effort.

Also forget about the "set the lips for G advice" this is useless advice for beginners. (Unless you are actually playing a G)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
I think the key take out from the video I found was that we aren't trying to buzz our lips, we are just trying to pass air over them at different speeds to make them buzz differently.

--------------------------
Yes, the goal is having the lips at the proper tension so that a flow of air thru the aperture causes a buzz at the desired pitch.
And this requires 3 main factors -
1) Lips at proper tension
2) Lip ABLE to vibrate and allow air flow (not jammed closed of flattened by too much muscle compression or mpc pressure)
3) Produce enough air flow thru the lips to cause the lips to vibrate.

In various articles and youtube videos, there are MANY various words and descriptions of the 'air flow' - (speed, compression, pressure, quantity, etc.).
You'll also encounter how to use the tongue - the main thing that tongue movement and position actually DOES, is to affect the tissue and muscles of the lips, jaw, and throat.

Jay
m1tch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will see how I go I guess, I can get up to a D within the staff, E at the top of the staff is a struggle.

How long on average would it take to be able to comfortably get to those sort of notes?
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
Will see how I go I guess, I can get up to a D within the staff, E at the top of the staff is a struggle.

How long on average would it take to be able to comfortably get to those sort of notes?

I can't speak for average but I can say what my progress has been like in the last 8 or 9 months. When I started, I could actually hit a high C, but only by using guitar string lips and high mouthpiece pressure. I could do this only once or so a day, and not every day.

I tried to learn a piece of music where the highest note is top of the staff F. I could hit that F once. But it occurs in the next measure, and I couldn't hit the second time. Two or 3 F's was all I could do in one day, and even this was relying too much on pinning a thin piece of lip between my teeth and mouthpiece.

Since then I have practiced high notes as much as possible, which initially wasn't very much due to lips giving out. The worse part is progress is beyond uneven. There is often a cycle of a few days of feeling strong, followed by a few days of not hitting notes that seemed easy before.

Today I can hit top of the staff F pretty much any time, even with tired lips. I can play a 2 octave C major scale several times per day, though some days it feels hard. After too much, the high notes start sounding airy. I can play the bottom two octaves of F# major scale all day long. I sometimes work on the third octave of F# major, but it might be another year before I can do it reliably. Or maybe I will just stop at high C. That is way more than needed for lots of stuff.

For me, it's all about lip strength. I would consider my lungs below average for things like running, yet air volume and pressure don't seem to be a limiting factor at this point. I think some of the experienced players here don't realize how much strength their lips have gained over the years.

Here is an illustration. I am exaggerating to make a point. How do you know if your lips are strong enough to hit high notes on a trumpet? You may know a pecan can be cracked with your hands, but it is not easy. Most people use pliers. A trumpet player uses his lips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: