• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How Rafael Méndez influenced my playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricardito

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: How Rafael Méndez influenced my playing Reply with quote

Hello everybody, I am new to this forum. I just want to share my experience on how Rafael Méndez influenced my life as a trumpeter and the life of those who surounded me.

I started with trumpet when I was 7 y/o
My very first clinic (I was 15 y/o) as an active student was with Juan Manuel Arpero, well-known trumpeter and educator in México, who studied with Maurice Benterfa and also Rafael Méndez.

One of my former college teachers also had several musical encounters with Méndez. One of the was in one of Mexicos City halls, he was playing in a sort of bigband and Rafael came to the rehearsal. Everybody knew Rafael and wherever he went he was well received.

I was lucky enough to study in the States, in Eastern Washington where I had great teachers. One of my friends invited me to his xmas dinner and introduced me to his grandpa, who was a former trumpeter of Stan Kentons orchestra. I told him I was from Tampico and he inmediatly felt like family cause Kentons band recorded one song describing my hometown. (yes, tampico). He started talking about being a Kentons musician and the tours and he told me how he met Mendez. It was through Mendez sons, who happen to be doctors. It was until that year of college that I decided to pursue a carreer on classical trumpet all the way.

Then met Dr. Hickman in Puebla, Mexico, in 2015 and told me several stories of Mendez. Then, up to this point, I believe Mendez is one of the most influential trumpeters who ever lived.

-Ricardo

-Otto Sauter
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice info; thanks for sharing.

I’ve watched many times the YouTube video of Rafael Mendez where he comments on the importance of “...scales, scales, and more scales!” I’ve also sent it to several young people, much to their awe and delight.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: