• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Needing to start from scratch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LCV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Needing to start from scratch Reply with quote

After playing for ~8 years, then taking a break for ~4, I'm now returning to the trumpet. Despite playing for so many years I never got very good, with very poor dynamics and a range going up only to G on top of the staff. I suspect that I never learned to play properly - instead of developing my embouchure muscles, I think I was just pressing the horn harder into my face to hit the notes.

So now I'm returning to trumpet, better informed than I was when I started as a kid, and with the freedom to start from scratch. I'm focusing a lot on sound quality, putting minimal pressure on my lips, and really thinking about how my muscles form and control the embouchure. While I can go back to my old ways and still hit F on the top line, with this new approach I feel a bit of a burn even at G in the staff, and I can't get a nice C consistently. No different then when I first started, I suppose.

If anyone here's gone through a similar process, or has tips for someone who is, I'd be grateful for any advice. I've ordered a few of the well-recommended books like Irons', Arban's, and Clarke's, and plan to slowly work through them over the next couple years. Regardless though, thank you to everyone on this forum who's been posting for the past 15 years - this website has been a goldmine for me lately, I've learned so much by reading through old topics and it's really inspired me to get back to the trumpet.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If anyone here's gone through a similar process, or has tips for someone who is, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Welcome back to trumpet playing! I'd urge you to seek out a teacher as soon as possible. Many now offer lessons via Skype or Zoom. A good teacher can help you put together a practice routine that makes sense for you, help instill good habits and avoid the bad habits that might limit your progress again.

Arban, Clarke and Irons have a wealth of great material for a lifetime of practice, but the key to unlocking their value is knowing how to approach them. You can certainly find lots of useful insights on this and other websites -- and, in the case of Arban, from Eric Bolvin's excellent "The Arban Manual" -- but it can be tough to develop your own effective approach based on a hodgepodge of good ideas....

Good luck, and have fun!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get some instruction.

I'd say that you're really not "starting from scracth", as you've played for several years, even after a break, there is some mental and physical memory of the trumpet.
If there are "bad" habits (physical and mental) they will have to be worked through.

It's not what you play, but how you play it.. the approach to playing, and the eye/ear of a knowledgable coach to keeep you from straying into poor habits.

get some instruction.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Needing to start from scratch Reply with quote

LCV wrote:
I'm focusing a lot on sound quality, putting minimal pressure on my lips, and really thinking about how my muscles form and control the embouchure. ...

-----------------------------------
Using true 'minimal pressure' is an excellent way to train and develop your embouchure, but striving for 'sound quality' at the same time might be counter productive.
Some reasonable amount of mpc pressure is necessary for most people to get good sound.

Yes, avoid using high mpc pressure to 'thin' your lips, and also avoid 'stretching the lips long and tight' - they are not guitar strings!

Use forward pressure from your lower jaw and teeth to apply controlled lower lip pressure FORWARD onto the rim. Don't pull the mpc rearward onto your lower lip, push the lip forward against the mpc (that helps align the teeth and lips).
The amount of lower lip pressure varies depending on the pitch. Low notes need little lower lip pressure, middle need a little bit, higher need more in order to reduce the pressure on the upper lip so the the upper can vibrate.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play trumpet in college and professionally, then played woodwinds for several decades, had a couple of strokes where my left hand is not effective, so returned to trumpet. It has been slow going.

Not exactly a paragon of pedagogy but someone who's situation I relate to, is Chet Baker's after he got his teeth bashed in. The first thing he mentioned when asked about his comeback to playing was "Long Tones". I think this is universal and I didn't notice your mentioning it. If you're not doing them, I encourage you to start.

He also referred to methods like you're already playing. Arban can be really convoluted. if you don't have a clear path to how to balance it's various sections out, so I also recommend Eric Bolvin's "The Arban Manual" to help you through it. And I would consider Vincent Cichowitcz' "Long Tones". (Mistakenly often called "Flow Studies").

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LCV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, a teacher is definitely something I'll have to try to look into. I've never had a teacher before (class teachers never actually gave advice), so I'm a little nervous about if good ones can be found without breaking the bank, but I'll start looking.

Thanks for the book recommendations as well, I'll see if I can find those. Definitely will be working on long tones! Seems like that's really crucial to developing embouchure strength.

Appreciate the tips about lip usage, I don't think I ever moved my lower jaw while playing before so I'll start to work on that approach.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was self-taught and played for a decade followed by a decade long break. When I restarted I got back all my old habits and limitations. I'd be very surprised if you will have any more success than your first outing without at least a couple of lessons with a pro. Yeah for me it was VERY uncomfortable to seek out a pro player but it made all the difference in the world. Do it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCV wrote:
Thanks all, a teacher is definitely something I'll have to try to look into. . . so I'm a little nervous about if good ones can be found without breaking the bank, . .

Ref a teacher, check with music stores and local colleges. Look for a good track record. As an alternative and as has been mentioned, there are Skype lessons available from the best. Do a google search of the TH forum for Skype teachers, as well as Steve Dillard.

Ref local teachers, if you're financially challenged, barter may be an option. Trade housework, yard work etc, as a trade off for lessons. I've had friends who have done this as well as myself.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCV wrote:
Appreciate the tips about lip usage, I don't think I ever moved my lower jaw while playing before so I'll start to work on that approach.

-------
For me, there's not much actual jaw movement involved. It's more a matter of regulating how much lower lip pressure is exerted forward onto the rim. It is subtle delicate control.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LCV

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I might try contacting the music department at my local university and see if they have any recommended teachers.

In the meantime, thanks for the advice about lower lip usage. Between what you guys have written here, and what's discussed in the first exercises of Irons, I've found that by bringing the lower lip up a bit I can generate high notes in the staff with ease. It's a little freaky really - if this is how you're supposed to play it's such a shame I'd never figured it out earlier. Playing C and E in the staff is absolutely effortless and musical with little mouthpiece pressure, and G on the staff is as clear as I've ever been able to play it. It'll take time to train myself to get a good attack and feel for this way of playing of course, but I'm shocked at how natural it feels already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: