• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 10 1/2C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Bach 10 1/2C Reply with quote

I have been playing for 35 going on 36 years. Like many young players, started out on a 7C. Switched to a 3C in high school and have been on 3C range mouthpieces for many years. Lately I have been playing around with vintage Bach mouthpieces and have fallen in love with a 10 1/2 C from the 60's. I never thought I could play on a smaller mouthpiece but I am having fun with it.

Years ago I went to hear the legendary Blue Wisp Big in Cincinnati and the 2nd player sounded so good on his solos. Being a young and dumb kid, I asked what mouthpiece are you playing on? He said 10 1/2C. He sounded so dark. I was shocked by it.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one I like as well !

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
JLandressBrassCustServ.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jon,

We hope all is well with you and that you're staying safe during these crazy times!

We LOVE the Bach 10 1/2C and feel that it is an often neglected mouthpiece in today's trumpet ideal. It is a mouthpiece that, depending on the era, plays much bigger than our mind believes it to be and can work well in a variety of settings.

In blind playing tests, we have seen the 10 1/2C go head-to-head with some of the popular "bigger" orchestral sizes as well as smaller commercial sizes. It has just enough depth to sound legit while having enough compression to add brilliance to your tone for lead parts. The biggest thing we notice is that because of the way the cup and rim are shaped, it forces the player to relax, and once we relax, everything is better!

Enjoy!

J. Landress Brass, LLC.
153 West 36th Street 3rd Floor
NY, NY 10018
Shop: 646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 10.5C. It's neither particularly small or shallow. The only camp I can think of that routinely shows bias against such pieces are the legit types who insist on particularly large IDs.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with other Bach MPs the MT Vernon is quite different, I have a 10 1/2 "D" that is interesting as well........

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my size. I have a Mt Vernon 10.5C that Matt Anklan gave me; Steve Patrick's 12C is a piece you'll love also if you love the 10.5C. My bigger "legit" pieces are the Marcinkiewicz Claude Gordon Personal pieces with the 22 drill and 20 drill.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my heroes, Carl Saunders plays on one and the tone is not small by any means. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hope you all stay safe out there.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so what eras are the best?

JLandressBrassCustServ. wrote:
Hey Jon,

We hope all is well with you and that you're staying safe during these crazy times!

We LOVE the Bach 10 1/2C and feel that it is an often neglected mouthpiece in today's trumpet ideal. It is a mouthpiece that, depending on the era, plays much bigger than our mind believes it to be and can work well in a variety of settings.

In blind playing tests, we have seen the 10 1/2C go head-to-head with some of the popular "bigger" orchestral sizes as well as smaller commercial sizes. It has just enough depth to sound legit while having enough compression to add brilliance to your tone for lead parts. The biggest thing we notice is that because of the way the cup and rim are shaped, it forces the player to relax, and once we relax, everything is better!

Enjoy!
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLandressBrassCustServ. wrote:
Hey Jon,

Enjoy!

What a bunch of meaningless twaddle. Does your boss endorse this nonsense?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Doug's rim copying approach may seem low tech to those of you familiar with computer generated copies, I assure you his copies are right on target.

Perhaps I should make a video of myself destroying a Yamaha EM2 with my hand held drill and screwdrivers.
trpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, multiphonic, why the hate ?
I don't see your name under your profile, so what's up with this?
You want to remain anonymous and bash one of the best shops around??
Please fill me in. .....
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Mount Vernon 10 1/2 C on ebay for $10, which is pretty common whereas a M.V. 3C or 1 1/4 C goes for $300 or more. Same quality.
amboguzzi

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: 10.5 C Reply with quote

I started playing on a 10 1/2C in the 60's. In the early 70's I was studying with Roy Stevens and I switched to his mouthpiece. The Stevens mouthpiece has a slightly wider inner dimension, slightly shallower cup, a slightly flatter and wider rim, that just feels softer and more comfortable than the 10 1/2C. Of course my 10 1/2C sits in my case right next to Roy's mouthpiece. You just can't let go of some things!!
amboguzzi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Bach 10-1/2C discrepancies!! Reply with quote

Since I have begun playing again after many years, I have been experimenting with different mouthpieces. I grew up playing a
VINCENT BACH CORP MT VERNON NY 10-1/2C, produced from 1960 -64! It has a wider more comfortable rim which I like and a smaller inside diameter. It was the piece that came with my trumpet. Recently I picked up a VINCENT BACH CORP. MT. VERNON N.Y. 10-1/2CW. It has a larger inside diameter and a really nice sound, perhaps due to the mass of the piece. The rim is exceptionally wide with a sharp bite. It's described as being for high pressure users but I can't see using a lot of pressure with this piece with the bite as sharp as it is.
Yesterday I received a VINCENT BACH CORP 10-1/2C, produced from 1965 -69! I thought it would be nice to have two 10-1/2C mouthpieces so I could keep one in my second trumpet case. This mouthpiece is radically different from my original Mt. Vernon. Not even close. The rim is narrower, the inside diameter is larger. It is much closer to a 7C than my original 10-1/2C MT VERNON.
So my question!!? Is the VINCENT BACH CORP 10-1/2C a rogue mouthpiece or is my original VINCENT BACH CORP MT VERNON 10-1/2C, with the more comfortable wider rim and smaller inside diameter a rogue piece?

Last edited by amboguzzi on Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt2 wrote:
Yo, multiphonic, why the hate ?
I don't see your name under your profile, so what's up with this?
You want to remain anonymous and bash one of the best shops around??
Please fill me in. .....
Yes, that was strange. jw
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Bach mouthpieces. They are all different. If you are in love with a particular one then at some point have CURRY or one of the other guys copy it so you have a backup. Better to spend the cash then go jerking around trying to find another one. jw
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Just picked up a VINCENT BACH CORP. 10 1/2 C. Tall lettering, all capitals with the DOT at the end). Any stats on this? Era, age, dimensions, etc. I have a PEAK 7C that has tighter bore (or back bore). I know this because just blowing air through them, the PEAK 7C has more resistance. I understand that there are generic 10 1/2 Cs out there that I saw on EBAY & Amazon called student types. Someone commented on them & said the throat on the student 10 1/2 C was not as wide as the Bach Version. (Tighter I guess they meant). Anyone know about the older Bach versus the newer version? They only want $14 for the new one. Thanks & Happy New Year to all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: