• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuning slide always needed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m1tch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
m1tch wrote:
Lowest note I can play with all 3 valves in is at 120hz - its coming up as a B2 on the chromatic scale.

---------------------
The lowest practical note is the F# (played 123) below the staff.
It's possible to 'sound' lower pitches by 'controlled lip flapping' but you're not likely to see them written in any piece of trumpet music. And they don't fit into the physical acoustics of trumpet size and shape.

When playing low notes (e.g. below the staff A - F#) the difficulty is making them sound good - not just loud fat blats - which can be fun, but is not very musical.
And similarly, many music pieces end with a loud note (sometimes a short 'stinger') - those should also be played to sound 'good' - not like someone stomping on a frog!

Jay

It was more of a bit of fun to see how low a new instrument can go but yeah its not really practical to go below a low F#. Of all the sheet music I have got so far I don't think any of them have anything really lower than a low B or A.

I still have a huge amount to learn, but the trumpet seems to start 'singing' and has nice tone from the middle F or G upwards - I can see how getting the trumpet into the higher register is the goal for most players!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
I think I might keep the tuning slide all the way in initially - sounds good to me at the moment, and yes as a beginner I guess I might have messed up the valve - good to see that its out by a semitone though!

All horns are designed to work best with the main tuning slide extended anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If you're playing mostly in tune with the slide fully closed then you are almost certainly lipping the notes down. This continuous lipping down will ultimately hurt your development. Far better to pull the slide to a typical position and practice playing in tune from there.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
... I can see how getting the trumpet into the higher register is the goal for most players!

---------------------------
Very true, and in many cases that results in players using high mpc pressure and tightly stretched upper lip to achieve higher notes - doing that does work (for a while), but then lip injury occurs, or even higher notes become impossible because the pressure and stretching won't allow the lip to vibrate at all.

The threads about 'fundamentals' and 'high range development' are full of similar stories.

Been there, now trying to help people learn better ...

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut tells me that there is something else going on here, in a big way...

Some problem with the instrument, knowledge of the instrument/mouthpiece, or a faulty setup/approach to playing.

Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher!

And to answer the underlying question... YES! the tuning slide is ALWAYS needed, and it needs to move (interenal and external conditions will change its placement, moment to moment, day to day), plus the trumpet sounds like crap without it.

Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher!
Retired Air Force Bandsman
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
My gut tells me that there is something else going on here, in a big way...

Some problem with the instrument, knowledge of the instrument/mouthpiece, or a faulty setup/approach to playing.

Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher!

And to answer the underlying question... YES! the tuning slide is ALWAYS needed, and it needs to move (interenal and external conditions will change its placement, moment to moment, day to day), plus the trumpet sounds like crap without it.

Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher! Face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher!

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: