• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Haven't played since 1984

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Haven't played since 1984 Reply with quote

I didn't see anywhere to do an introduction, so I'll just do it here.

I live in Vegas. Transplanted here in 2003 after living 9 years in Hawaii. Originally from Washington state.

I played trumpet in 83' and 84' during 6th grade. My band teacher was upset to see me quit the horn when 7th grade started (I took 1st chair a few times), but for whatever reason I just didn't want to play trumpet anymore. Probably because a couple of my friends didn't want to either.

But I never lost an interest in music because at a very young age I learned how to shred a harmonica. By 4th grade I was playing blues, bluegrass and bending notes like nobody's business. I don't play much harmonica anymore, but I do have a nice harp laying around when it's calling me.

About 20 years ago I took piano lessons for about 4 months. I learned all my major and minor scales and chords and just about anything else relative to the piano short of actually being able to play anything decent.

10 years ago I went to a music store and blew a few notes through a trumpet. It was okay, but I didn't go for it at that time.

For years I've wanted to play Jazz piano but it just never clicked for me. It's the voicings and smooth voice-leading that I couldn't wrap my head around. I avoided taking lessons again because I didn't want to start all over again from page one of some beginner piano book. It's just too much to go through all that. I could have found a jazz piano teacher, but even that seems like too much. The trumpet on the other hand seems more realistic for me. Because it's a single note instrument (Like the harmonica) I just feel like I can get pretty far with it.

I bought a 74' Olds Ambassador with a Bach 7c from an old Jazz guy I've known for a few years. It's in excellent shape for it's age, but I clearly overpaid for it. He mentioned the price and I agreed to it instantly. I imagine he was a bit surprised. I think he was expecting a little back and forth negotiation. It was a learning lesson. I was excited and didn't consider haggling at the time. I just wanted the horn and I also respect the guy. For what it's worth, it's a nice lookin', shiny piece with great compression. Probably a lot better than the Bundy i was playing in 83'. It's worth $350 easily, which means that for all the time I'll spend playing it, my out of pocket cost will be $150 (You do the math).

My interest in jazz piano comes mostly from Erroll Garner, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans but there's others. Most people remember Dudley Moore as an annoying British comic, but on the piano he could play circles around just about anyone.

My parents love Jazz. Mom played the banjo. Dad played the harmonica. We love Charlie McCoy. Dad also played the sax when he was younger and told me to listen to Paul Desmond. We had a lot of jazz albums in the house back then. They saw Chet Baker in Seattle just a few months before he died. They said it was sad because he could barely sing anymore but boy could he play. I won't be playing like Chet anytime soon (or ever honestly), but I've got a twinkle in my eye for his sound.

So now I've got all these ideas in my head about these songs I want to play. Most of which, are surely out of reach for me right now because I'm only barely hitting a G. The high register probably isn't all that important right now anyway. I'm sure there's loads of fun to be had in my current range. I actually squeezed out a G# and A today.

I bought the trumpet on June 1st. It sat on the table for about 7 days while I waited for valve oil, slide grease, a cleaning kit and new water key corks to show up in the mail. After watching a bunch of YouTube videos on how to clean a trumpet, I cleaned it up, put her back together again and started playin'.

Since I know all my scales, I decided to memorize all the finger positions on the trumpet for every note on the piano in my range. So I can play any scale and arpeggio. I'm only messing around with C, D, E and F right now though.

While messing around with C major, I stumbled into a few songs.

Doe a deer
The First Noel
America the Beautiful

Those have been fun to play even though I'm stumbling through it.

Then I realized that if I can play those songs, there's no reason why I can't try Misty.

So I can play Misty now. It's not perfect because I forget some of the fingering, but if I practice it for about 10 minutes I can almost make it all the way through without screwing it up.

I've had fun playing bits and pieces of other songs also, but I won't be able to learn these songs all the way through for awhile. And if I did, I'd forget them unless I played em every day.

Gonna Fly Now - Ferguson (Just the main theme from Rocky)
Feels So Good - Mangione (Just a few bars)
Rise - Alpert (Just a couple bars and so hard!!!)

My plan now is to go with a book by Bruce Pearson and start all over again from square one. I want to get the sight reading this time. That way if there's a song I want to learn, I can use the sheet music to help me remember it. Trying to pound these songs into my head is just too hard right now, but Misty is in there pretty good.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but here I am. I got the trumpet buzz big time right now. I'm sure I'll be learning a lot from you guys. I have a feeling I'll be ditching my Ambassador for a pro horn in the next few months even though that might not be the right thing to do.

- Steve

*Edit post - I'm not playing a double G. I'm in the octave below.

Last edited by Trumpetown on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to edit my post because I made the mistake of saying that I can play a double G. I can't. I'm hitting G in the octave below.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Trumpetown. I think you've found a good home, here. Welcome.

Where did you live in Hawai'i? I'm from Kailua and theslawdawg lives in. I think, Aiea. Also, Peanuts wife is fom the islands.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Getzen renaissance trumpet vs Getzen 700 trumpet Reply with quote

Buying a professional trumpet is a great decision. One you will not regret. After playing trumpet for seven years, finally bought a professional trumpet. Best decision I have ever made.
In the last year, I noticed that student, intermediate, semi pro horns were not working for me. Something lacking in the sound,hard to pinpoint.
Some players are able to use a student trumpet and it doesn't hold them back
, that's not me.
Many experienced players on this forum, excellent advice.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Where did you live in Hawai'i? I'm from Kailua and theslawdawg lives in. I think, Aiea. Also, Peanuts wife is fom the islands.

I moved to Oahu in 1994 and worked at House Of Music in Ala Moana Center. I was a DJ back then. Some of the best times of my life were in Hawaii.

I stayed on Oahu until I moved to Maui in May 1995. I worked and lived on Kihei side at various hotels and restaurants. Moved to Vegas in 2003 and never looked back. There's a lot of things I miss about Hawaii, especially the ocean.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetown wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

I moved to Oahu in 1994 and worked at House Of Music in Ala Moana Center. I was a DJ back then. Some of the best times of my life were in Hawaii.

I stayed on Oahu until I moved to Maui in May 1995. I worked and lived on Kihei side at various hotels and restaurants. Moved to Vegas in 2003 and never looked back. There's a lot of things I miss about Hawaii, especially the ocean.

Aloha, Bruddah! I live right near the Forty Niner diner.
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:

Aloha, Bruddah! I live right near the Forty Niner diner.

Aloha!

I used to DJ a little bit in Waikiki back in the day. Those were good times even though I lived in Kalihi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: