• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CS YouTube: Improv 101 Resumes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanborn_chase

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: CS YouTube: Improv 101 Resumes Reply with quote

After a pandemic pause, the Improv 101 series resumes with episode ten. Continuing from where I left off in the previous episode (The Cheeseburger) this is the first of several that focus on the role of the dominant chord in a progression and the importance of understanding dominant resolution as a key to improvising on chord changes. I also offer a trumpet player's perspective on harmony, understanding it in the context of a single-note line.

Thanks for watching!

https://youtu.be/32_nq6hEyWs
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weep every time I look at threads like this, might as well be in Cantonese for me.

You people speak a language, like Spanish, I have devoted the better part of a lifetime to try to grasp, and have never had the lightbulb turn on.

At one time, could quote the circle of 5th's progression in my sleep. Could verbally tell you the difference between dorian and iambic progressions, pick up the horn and try to play, and it becomes absolute gibberish.

Nothing flows, no matter how many times I play through progressions on paper, none of it has ever translated to creativity.

My dad was a huge jazz fan, was listening to Chet and Miles literally in my crib.

So today, I play in a cover band, with printed charts, and play the ink. I love, love, love it.

Our harp player and the solo trumpet player are our only two improvisers, never play the same thing twice, and never hit a bad note. I would give an appendage to be able to do that.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: