• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuning problem with this Chet number..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blueblue
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Tuning problem with this Chet number.. Reply with quote

With my Getzen and Van Laar Trumpet I have the problem to get in tune with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQD1wJtkkU8

Is it me..
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tuning problem with this Chet number.. Reply with quote

Blueblue wrote:
With my Getzen and Van Laar Trumpet I have the problem to get in tune with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQD1wJtkkU8

Is it me..

It sounds like Chet is having a lot of difficulty playing in tune on the recording.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that you can't play along in tune with Chet?
(Not a critique, just looking for what you are asking.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm.... analyzing with a strobe, it shows that (at least for the first full minute or so) CHET is stunningly accurate, being dead on with every note. Including those low notes. He stops the strobe, and I' not surprised. One of the things that made chet great (just one of many many any) was his great sense of pitch, and really fine detailed control of it. Even when you can hear maybe his chops having some issues, his pitch was good. This recording is not running the wrong speed or anything like that either. Sometimes that does happen especially when there might be a turntable involved. Chet:)
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also see it differently from HERMOKIWI, which I almost never do. I don't know about checking it with technology, but to my ears, stylistically, he's right on.

As HERMOKIWI surely knows, (I am speaking to other readers here), part of one's style often depends on how one treats pitches. They may be humoured differently, not exactly direct ly on pitch. It gives a certain colour and ambiance. I don't hear Chet playing out of tune.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Blueblue
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Do you mean that you can't play along in tune with Chet?
(Not a critique, just looking for what you are asking.)

Thank you,

yes indeed, exactly
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends on how you see things. If, on purely listening, Chet has some pitch "problems", then this doesn't apply. Look to others.

If, however, you can listen to it and find it stylistically sound, then I would listen to it until you've memorized it, then sing along, no horn, getting all the phrasing, intonation, and inflections. And only then, I would add the trumpet, playing it the way you sang it.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the head, he is exactly right on. His vibratoe even goes equally above an below the zero.

in his improvised solo, there is one upper G# that he is 14 cents flat, which is his most noticable out of tune note. About 8 bars after that he plays a little bit sharp (10 cents) on middle B, but in context it sounds less out than that. a little later he comes in on an upper F# and pushes it it sharp 17 cents, but only momentarily. Then he winds up the solo with a long phrase in which all of the notes are within 2 or three cents, and his vibrato is equally above and below.
The recording is a great example of a trumpet player playing with great intonation, and by the way, the content of his solo is impeccable as well. It kind of does not get better than this.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I also see it differently from HERMOKIWI, which I almost never do. I don't know about checking it with technology, but to my ears, stylistically, he's right on.

As HERMOKIWI surely knows, (I am speaking to other readers here), part of one's style often depends on how one treats pitches. They may be humoured differently, not exactly direct ly on pitch. It gives a certain colour and ambiance. I don't hear Chet playing out of tune.

Yes, that's a better description of what I meant. It can be very difficult to follow along on trumpet trying to match nuances which came naturally to the player you're trying to match.

The same goes for trying to match phrasing. Even Wynton, in talking about Louis Armstrong's solo on West End Blues, said that he could play it 100 times and still not get the phrasing exactly the same as how Louis played it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might enjoy this version of Chet:

https://youtu.be/IzpfZaZfsZg

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Yes, that's a better description of what I meant. It can be very difficult to follow along on trumpet trying to match nuances which came naturally to the player you're trying to match.

The same goes for trying to match phrasing. Even Wynton, in talking about Louis Armstrong's solo on West End Blues, said that he could play it 100 times and still not get the phrasing exactly the same as how Louis played it.
I respectfully disagree. Style is one thing, bends and all that, but we know if somebody is playing in tune or not. Chet sounds in tune to me on this recording and if you are transcribing it there's no reason you can't match his intonation, phrasing, bends, articulation, vibrato, etc. That is kind of the point of transcribing. There's a lot of benefit to copying a player at the microscopic level. So to the OP, I think you can get there it just might take more practice and turning up the volume on the track more. There's not a lot of overtones in Chet's sound and if you aren't exactly locked in with it, you will sound off.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can’t play in tune with that recording it’s a problem. Chets pitch is textbook here. What’s the temperature where you are playing?
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an app for Android phones named Intonia. After installing it, I was shocked to see how out of tune I was. Then I checked great players on Youtube, and saw they were way better than me but not enough in tune according to the app. I then stopped to use it.

All this to say I have checked Chet solo, and he is incredible in tune ! Like I have rarely seen. Here is a screenshot of one of his phrase.

(when other players play, it is all red and blue on the app)
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet is playing in tune on a trumpet not tuned correctly. That causes the alteration in resonance and the stylistic effect. It bugs me listening to it. He is still amazing, but I want to grab the trumpet and fix it.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet's horn is tuned correctly
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: