• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bassoon to Trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassoontyphoon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Bassoon to Trumpet Reply with quote

Hello my name is Tyler and I'm new to the trumpet. I am a bassoonist who has been playing Bassoon for about 14 years and my friend gave me a trumpet. So since I'm out of college and don't really play Bassoon that much anymore, I want to commit all my time to trumpet. I don't know anything about embouchure but what I've read is that the pink of your lips should be inside the mouthpiece. I can play up to top line F, and on some days, can play G above it. I've heard that long tones are like the "bread and butter" of brass playing, but I wonder what other exercises are essential to becoming a better trumpet player. I already know how to double tongue ( have had to do it many times on Bassoon), so tonguing isn't the issue. What I can't seem to do is do lip slurs without adjusting my embouchure. Are there any tips or links to exercises you would suggest to a beginner trumpet player who wants to extend range and endurance. Thanks in advance!
Tyler
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a LOT of trumpet method books. Maybe I'm old school, but I think getting a couple books would be better than grabbing things here and there online. The ones I would recommend you work out of would be Clarke's Technical Studies and maybe Arban's. For lip slurs look at the Irons book. It starts slow and simple and works on the fundamentals of changing partials, and expands as the book goes on.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your friend is really evil! The setup for the two is so massively different... It would really help you to get at least one lesson from someone, even if on skype, just to get the basics down, because there are so many ways to go extremely wrong, and mess up everything that follows.
The closest I have ever gotten to playing bassoon is having a bocal and reed so I can play tromboon, mostly to piss off the neighbors. But the setup is SO different ... please get a real lesson.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
We have a LOT of trumpet method books. Maybe I'm old school, but I think getting a couple books would be better than grabbing things here and there online.

If you are self teaching, Harold Mitchell's Mitchell on Trumpet is a comprehensive and well-balanced and progressing set of exercises and books. One-stop-does-all. But I would still get a lesson or several to start you off rght.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to make quick of a much more complicated subject, if you transition from G in the staff to the C above it there are a number of tiny adjustments needed if it's going to come out quickly, cleanly and in tune. If you can succeed in really refining that effort then odds are good that a bit more of the same effort will get you from C in the staff to E above it, etc., ect, etc..
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Bassoontyphoon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update! I will have a lesson with the trumpet professor at my old college in the next month. I don't want to practice wrong before I meet him though and have to re learn everything. But I feel weird if I just sit here haha. It won't be for about a month when we meet due to all this virus stuff.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know bassoon pretty well you already know a lot of the keys to musicality. Long tones are good, but so is slurring, articulations, scales, arpeggios, and just playing anything musical and fun (your basic beginner Mary Had a Little Lamb type songs). I would say you're okay doing as much as you can the next month and just see how it goes.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you know bassoon pretty well, you know or can imagine how hard it would be to teach yourself to college level bassoon.

Trumpet is the same.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really disagree with the folks advising against self-teaching. You are an experienced adult musician who has played a wind instrument for over a decade. I think self-teaching is a good way to approach it, as an adult. I'm not saying lessons aren't valuable. But to say that you will screw yourself up if you try playing an instrument without taking lessons is silly.
I play many instruments, I'm not the best in the world at any of them, but I taught myself all of them except for trumpet. I can also tell you I would not have been as interested in taking structured lessons on each instrument, because it's more fun and a more natural experience to explore instruments, especially when you have years of musical experience. Get some books, listen to some music, watch some videos, and go for it. Take some lessons if you want, but have fun.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm self-taught and played with some qualified success until I was in my 20's. After a 10 year hiatus I came back and developed all of the old problems (range, endurance,...) I had developed in my earlier life. I then got a pro teacher. So I appreciate both perspectives. That said I really, really, really wish I had gotten lesson when I was much younger. There's a physical component to trumpet that makes it uniquely unforgiving and often counter-intuitive.

I recommend getting pro teacher for at least a few lessons to get you started on the right track. A good one will teach you how to learn and progress on your own.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
I really disagree with the folks advising against self-teaching. You are an experienced adult musician who has played a wind instrument for over a decade. I think self-teaching is a good way to approach it, as an adult.

I can count on -0- fingers the number of teachers I encountered who I felt obviously had a handle on embouchure mechanics. There may be teachers out there who do have a solid understanding but I feel like my experience is common.

Most of them knew the kind of skill-set that's needed and could direct you to books and prescribe exercises and give you direction on sound, articulation etc. but as far as the mechanics the typical approach seems to be to cross one's fingers and hope the embouchure falls in line.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bassoon to Trumpet Reply with quote

Bassoontyphoon wrote:
Hello my name is Tyler and I'm new to the trumpet.

Hello, Tyler.

I've never played a bassoon. But I've played clarinet since I was eight years old, and now I'm working on the trumpet.

I can tell you this much: There isn't much commonality of technique between the two instruments. The trumpet (and probably all brass instruments, though I've only tried trumpet) is physically demanding, in ways that reed instruments are not.

Already having a background in wind instruments and sight-reading is certainly an advantage. But woodwind-to-brass is entering a whole other world.

My only advice is: Don't be discouraged. Keep banging away, and don't expect quick results. It ain't easy, but you'll get it eventually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: