• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn Angle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Horn Angle Reply with quote

Hi All -- As you'll note from my user name, I'm a IIIB. One thing that Doc and Dave Sheetz both had to constantly remind me about--because I don't do it well--is to keep weight on the lower lip and stay with the lower jaw, using the upper lip as a "trump card" for the higher upper register. Recently, I tried lowering the angle of my horn very slightly. I don't think that it would be noticeable to someone looking at me play, but it does feel very different and does seem to help in regard to what Doc and Dave were after me to do. Does anyone have a similar experience or any insights to share? I'd be most grateful to hear from you. Thanks, and stay well!
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. This is partially in response to Jay Kosta's recent post about lower-lip pressure.
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and perhaps think of it as placing more lightly on the upper lip, rather than adjusting the horn angle.
gdghorn

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bg wrote:
Yes, and perhaps think of it as placing more lightly on the upper lip, rather than adjusting the horn angle.

Deleted comment.

Last edited by gdghorn on Tue May 12, 2020 8:08 am; edited 2 times in total
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdghorn wrote:
bg wrote:

If you don't mind me giving some advice on horn angle. I found recently in a good way that I must set my mouthpiece on the most stable, comfortable spot. In doing that you will find the right angle. The most important part I left for last. You start with your top and bottom teeth together. The front teeth together, not the back teeth. You then open up your teeth only slightly as you do a breath attach and sound a low C or 2nd line G. The initial note might be much louder than normal for the effort. That is GOOD. If that works for you you've found the angle and jaw position that should work for you in all registers. I always go back to the teeth together position and go from there when I find myself drifting off...

This is definitely not a procedure that Doc Reinhardt taught or would have endorsed. See the Thirty Five Basic Points of the Pivot System (also visible at the top of the front page of this Reinhardt Forum). Thanks.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the fresher my chops feel, the easier it is to put more weight on the lower lip. You can't just force it, though, by saying, "I'm going to put more weight on the lower lip now." You have to train your chops to do it over time.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have different bone structure, teeth and muscle structure. This is really something that has to be personal, and a good teacher adapts to the unique situation of the student. Any blanket statements are doomed to be contradicted by the diversity in the human form. The greatest challenge for those of us who had skilled teachers is to recognize the difference between global truth and what our teachers told us that was specific to us.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: