• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Pixie Mute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bozzaman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: The Pixie Mute Reply with quote

What are the proper applications for a pixie mute? Is there also some sort of technique involved? Is it paired with a plunger? When was the pixie mute's "hey day"? And where can I find some examples of it's use? Thanks!
BSC (Brass Sound Creations) Bb; Bach Mt. Vernon 1962 Bb; Conn 38B Constellation; Bach 239GH, 25S C; Kanstul CCT 920 Picc.; Schilke E3 D/Eb; Getzen Eterna Flugel; Courtois Cornet @ 1966; Naumann 3-Hole; Etc.
stevesf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is usually paired with plunger. Cootie Williams used it effectively in Ellington's band during it's "Jungle Band" Cotton Club phase. Just another effect . Kind of fun sounding (you can make "talking" effects) though not used much nowadays. I use my pixie as a piccolo trumpet mute also (it"just" fits in the bell)
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in this as well... I've been thinking about buying one forever and somehow I always order mouthpieces instead...
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to Cat Anderson play "Satin Doll" as a ballad duo with bassist Jon Burr at a cliinc/concert back at the U of I in Champaign, IL back in '76.

He used a plunger with a pixie mute, starting the tune on Double B. It was ethereal- some of the tastiest playing I'd ever heard. Pretty much stunned us all.

mc
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the current H&B pixie mute too big to use with a plunger?
sharpietrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Isn't the current H&B pixie mute too big to use with a plunger?

Not if you get the H&B plunger. Which I like in the first place because it is much deeper than your average sink (or toilet) plunger.
Amrein Piccolo
Yamaha 2330II Cornet
Jupiter Soprano Trombone

Najoom Mouthpieces
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: "pixie mute" Reply with quote

Clyde McCoy used a "pixie" type mute made for him by Conn on his famous Sugar Blues recording. He used a metal ice cream dish as a plunger with the mute. The closest thing to that plunger would be the cup part of the harmon triple play mute.

clyde's nephew, John McCoy was a friend of mine and he brought me Clyde's mute to repair (when I had my shop) after Clyde, near the end of his life, made a disastrous attempt to recork the mute.

I fixed it and received a nice letter of appreciation for my efforts.
tastoll
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you purchase a modern pixie from Humes and Berg it typically needs some adjustments to work correctly. First off, pull the metal tube from inside the mute...it is a short tube which actually prevents one from making the kind of volume needed to be heard with the pixie/plunger combo...best way to get it out is to place the shank of a tuba mouthpiece into the small end of the mute, wedge against the side of the tube and pull gently...should come right out (Clark Terry showed me this...)...

Next is to file the corks down, evenly on all sides until when placed in the bell, the end of the mute is almost even with the edge of the bell...some like it in more, some less...

Now...plunge away! Another thing CT told me, was to learn to make the "how now brown cow" sound not just the wah wah...the "ow" sound is with the plunger coming in towards the bell...using them both wah and ow is a useful tool to have in your arsenal...

Happy plunging!
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tastoll wrote:
When you purchase a modern pixie from Humes and Berg it typically needs some adjustments to work correctly. First off, pull the metal tube from inside the mute...it is a short tube which actually prevents one from making the kind of volume needed to be heard with the pixie/plunger combo...best way to get it out is to place the shank of a tuba mouthpiece into the small end of the mute, wedge against the side of the tube and pull gently...should come right out (Clark Terry showed me this...)...

Next is to file the corks down, evenly on all sides until when placed in the bell, the end of the mute is almost even with the edge of the bell...some like it in more, some less...

Now...plunge away! Another thing CT told me, was to learn to make the "how now brown cow" sound not just the wah wah...the "ow" sound is with the plunger coming in towards the bell...using them both wah and ow is a useful tool to have in your arsenal...

Happy plunging!

Todd,

Thank you for this info. Man, I am so weak at plunger technique. Just an area of my playing that I have avoided and honestly it has bugged me that I am not more together on this skill. I have been listening to all of the old masters lately and you hear those Cat's and how skillfully that they execute...It's a total learning experience!!!!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for Mugsy Spanier recordings he was one of the master pixie/trixie players.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wvtrumpet wrote:
Another thing CT told me, was to learn to make the "how now brown cow" sound not just the wah wah...the "ow" sound is with the plunger coming in towards the bell...using them both wah and ow is a useful tool to have in your arsenal...

CT also uses bending of notes in conjunction with the plunger. As you angle the plunger in, if you fall off the pitch slightly, you get a more pronounced "ow" sound. You hear CT do this a lot on slow blues tunes, in the lower register.
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these tips. Here's a clip that's been posted before but is still a good primer in plunger techniques: Snooky Young with Doc S's band.

Note how he moves the plunger away from the bell as he gets higher. Of course it helps to be able to nail those high notes one-handed, too.

Any other tips?

Link

RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really old thread, but I just tripped over this video of Jon-Erik Kelso playing an old Ellington standard and it knocked me out.

Link

Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Really old thread, but I just tripped over this video of Jon-Erik Kelso playing an old Ellington standard and it knocked me out.

Link

Knocked me out too! Thanks for posting that. Loved it!!

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good workable solution for a pixie mute that's more in tune and works well with a traditional red plunger mute:

Denis Wick DW5520 Straight Mute for D Trumpet or Eb Cornet

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YH5A2W/?coliid=IWOPHANAWO4WF&colid=1F7UUVJ044QM5&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

Link

Is he playing a Puje?
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Tom Crown Pixie mute Reply with quote

This has been running on a few different threads but I'll post only here.

When I gig now, it often involves Dixieland.

I usually use three different plungers (from among five that I like) – soft rubber (with a hole), double-walled stainless steel, and Pyrex glass.

A few years ago I bought a new H&B Pixie. It sounded bad, it felt bad, and it played bad. I removed the tube per Al Grey in his “Plunger Techniques” book. I filed the corks. I never got a usable mute out of it.

I had heard about Denis Wick Eb/D mutes being used with a plunger as a Pixie. With TWO gigs (one, next week) scheduled over the next FOUR months, I decided to get one – but – before ordering, I looked on Tom Crown’s site to see if he offers an Eb/D mute.

He doesn’t, but, I saw a “Pixie” mute with a very long throat (which looks like an H&B trombone Pixie), so I ordered one from the Tom Crown site. They filled my order and got it into the mail the same day.

Arrived today and it is a winner!

Plays in tune with itself and has a stable tone down to F# in a couple of old ('40s) Conn cornets with small bells and large throats, and in a modern Edwards trumpet.

It makes everyone of my plungers sound different/better and I can completely close off the bell on any of them – even the ones without a hole – without the pitch jumping up.

If you ever gig Dixie or perform with a plunger, get one of these mutes. Also usable without plunger as a straight mute (which is what it is), especially for an early 20th Century sound. If you’re just into mutes – get one.

-Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: