• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just fitted heavy caps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m1tch

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Just fitted heavy caps Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am very new to trumpets and I have a very basic new beginner trumpet that I am gradually going through and cleaning up in terms of both internally cleaning, oiling as well as cleaning up the threads on the caps.

As its a beginner trumpet the threading isn't really that good and I can see that the quality isn't perfect either - but still good to start with.

I have been looking around at a few accessories/trim pieces such as button caps and noticed that you can get KGU heavy caps for each end of the valve etc, being new to trumpets I didn't want to spend a huge amount as I see that you can get KGU kits for £200. I instead opted to just try out some much cheaper alternatives which came in at around £18 for 2 different sorts. I mainly got the kit(s) as it would be useful for spare parts as there was a heavy brass option as well as a lighter 'hex' cap set along with stems etc.

I fitted them before practice yesterday and I can say that they have made a difference - but not necessarily the reasons as stated on the KGU site.

I noticed that the kit seemed to do 2 things, firstly its made the trumpet feel more solid and rigid (probably not an issue on some of the more expensive trumpets) but its also stabilised the valve stem slightly within the bore. Looking at the stock valve caps that came with my trumpet they are fairly basic with some fairly loose tolerances. With these new caps I can tell that the tolerance between the stem and cap is better.

Just thought I would mention this on the forum as I might look to get a proper set if I had a decent trumpet but they seem to give quite a nice upgrade to a basic beginner trumpet.

In terms of the musical changes with these fitted, the notes feel more solid and I can feel the valve bodies resonate slightly more whilst playing. Its an odd thing to try and describe but I think now that the valves are held more rigidly and with less chance to move thanks to the better support and tolerance the trumpet just feels a bit more responsive.

Anyway, thought I would share my thoughts, considering they only cost £18 for a couple of different options and some spares I feel that its money well spent.

Worth also noting that the threading on my beginner trumpet wasn't the best, the cap kit I have seems to have much better threading so has slightly deepened the threading on my trumpet (not a bad thing) but just something to note.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What make and model is the trumpet?
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Just fitted heavy caps Reply with quote

m1tch wrote:
... Worth also noting that the threading on my beginner trumpet wasn't the best, the cap kit I have seems to have much better threading so has slightly deepened the threading on my trumpet (not a bad thing) but just something to note.

------------------------------------------
Since everything seems to be working well, the threading difference is minor.
BUT, my wording of your description would be -
"the new caps were not a good fit on trumpet, they had to be forced on".
That difference in threading could be due to:
1) trumpet threading was not very deep.
2) new cap threading has slightly smaller ID than the trumpet.
3) the thread pitch of the caps and trumpet are very slightly different.

It's hard to determine which had 'proper threads'.

In general, it's not a good situation when parts that are supposed to fit together easily don't.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
m1tch

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Just fitted heavy caps Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
m1tch wrote:
... Worth also noting that the threading on my beginner trumpet wasn't the best, the cap kit I have seems to have much better threading so has slightly deepened the threading on my trumpet (not a bad thing) but just something to note.

------------------------------------------
Since everything seems to be working well, the threading difference is minor.
BUT, my wording of your description would be -
"the new caps were not a good fit on trumpet, they had to be forced on".
That difference in threading could be due to:
1) trumpet threading was not very deep.
2) new cap threading has slightly smaller ID than the trumpet.
3) the thread pitch of the caps and trumpet are very slightly different.

It's hard to determine which had 'proper threads'.

In general, it's not a good situation when parts that are supposed to fit together easily don't.

Jay

I think it might be a case of rolled vs cut threads as the original caps still fit the same way as they did before, owing to the cost of both the trumpet and the trial caps there would also be some out of spec tolerances in there as well vs a more expensive trumpet. Its more of just a trial and might switch back to the original caps that came on the trumpet later to see what difference it makes back to back.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every brand has different thread diameter and pitch. You have to get the correct set to match the brand of trumpet.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a true beginner concentrate on playing and don’t waste your time, focus and money on gadgets.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
If you are a true beginner concentrate on playing and don’t waste your time, focus and money on gadgets.

+1

Heavy valve caps aren't going to do anything to help you learn to play trumpet and they may be contributing to the "slow valves" problem you mentioned in your other post. Because of the thread problem you mentioned the heavy caps may be putting pressure on the threads in a way that changes the geometry of the valve casings which, in turn, may be hanging up the valve action.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
delano wrote:

+1

Heavy valve caps aren't going to do anything to help you learn to play trumpet and they may be contributing to the "slow valves" problem you mentioned in your other post. Because of the thread problem you mentioned the heavy caps may be putting pressure on the threads in a way that changes the geometry of the valve casings which, in turn, may be hanging up the valve action.

This....er, I mean these.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: